LCVG
Derrik Draven

Thief - PC/PS4/XBone

PS4 version nearly identical to PC version (what resolution? what framerate?) and it's running on a modified version of Unreal Engine 3, UE4:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/thief/news/thief_on_ps4_will_look_almost_identical_to_pc_version.html

The PS4 version of Thief will look "really, really close" to the PC version, the game's producer Stephane Roy has claimed, before hinting at a "special feature" that may only be found in the PC version.

"For Thief, everything started on PC," Roy explained in an interview with VideoGamer.com. "So for example, all the interface, the menu and stuff like that, we want to adapt it [for next-gen consoles].

"But for a visual aspect - especially for a game like Thief - it's not a question of pushing more polygons, [or] now I can have 200 enemies at the same time and not just 100 enemies. So on our side, it's more a question of gameplay, the movement, stuff like that. I think with the next-gen, yeah visually speaking, with the high-end PC and next-gen it's going to be really, really close, honestly."

Despite the similarities between the console and PC versions, however, Eidos Montreal may look to take advantage of high-spec PC graphics cards, Roy teases.

"Maybe we are going to push a special feature with the PC because of working with the video card and stuff like that," he continued, "but it's not like 10 years ago where the difference was huge."

Thief is being built using a modified version of Unreal Engine 3, not Unreal Engine 4, Eidos Montreal has confirmed.

Despite being one of the first next-gen titles to be revealed, the game's producer Stephane Roy explained that the decision to stick with Unreal Engine 3 rather than opt for Epic's next-gen Unreal Engine 4 was a matter of timing and "flexibility".

"Keep in mind when we started, Unreal 4 was [still in] development," Roy explained to VideoGamer.com.

My laptop is about as powerful as you can get, at this very second in time but, by the time Thief IV comes out, it won't be. Guess the PS4 will be a good option.....although I'd REALLY like to play it on pc.

I wish the guys at TTLG, that have been modding the Dark Engine for the past decade or so, would be able to make the next Thief game. Who knows....maybe Eidos isn't going to totally fuck this up. It's one of my MOST wanted games, period.

E3 Live Demo with Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/thief-e3-2013-stage-demo-6409869/

Reinvention of the Thief franchise. Not a sequel or prequel.

-Rope Arrows
-Water Arrows
-Fire Arrows
-Focus vision doesn't let you see people through walls, only a visual representation of their footsteps. 
-Focus can all be completely disabled.
-Narration from Garrett and verbal quips interspersed.
-Multiple points of entry
-Pickpockets seem to be timed or at least take a second longer to wait for a meter to fill
-Overhearing guard dialogue
-Notes to be picked up
-Different surfaces sound different and guards will know the difference
-XP isn't for leveling up, but for score.

The demo is running on a PS4 debug unit.

Sounds like the game has had some puzzling design decisions made:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648855

Granted there's always wailing and gnashing of teeth on GAF, but saying that something like allowing a player to jump whenever they want "breaks immersion", but that zooming out to a 3rd person view for climbing, and only being able to jump or use rope arrows whenever the game allows it doesn't, is just plain weird.

PC Gamer completely eviscerated the 4 hour demo they played of the game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/previews/thief-hands-on-the-absent-atmosphere-of-garretts-return/

In this as in so many other ways, Eidos Montreal's new Thief reboot feels like a step backwards. Garrett, our titular thief, lives in a gothic clocktower in the centre of a city steeped in poverty, corruption, violence and plague. But the tower tells no story. There's a bed, and some candles, and display cases for the trinkets Garrett pilfers on his exploits. But there's nothing of the man. It feels shallow, two-dimensional, and sadly for a series with a history as long and storied as Thief's, in the four hours I spent with the game that feeling never really went away.

The inhabitants of Garrett's City don't go in much for security, frequently leaving windows ajar and their family heirlooms glinting proudly on the mantelpiece. It should be a tense experience, jimmying open a window with Garrett's crowbar, stealing into the room, snuffing the candles and liberating coins, candlesticks and pocket watches from drawers and dressers. But after the first few snapped latches, an uncomfortable realisation sets in: no-one's coming to get you. No outraged citizen ever barges to find Garrett with his gloved fingers in the cutlery drawer, no sleepy child ever wanders up to bed to find the masked villain upending his piggy bank into a sack. These things you're stealing don't belong to anyone; they're just interchangeable loot objects, their only purpose to add coppers to Garrett's purse.

he guards are blank, thuggish enemies. Their superior, whom I met once in a cutscene, is a cartoon villain who shoots a henchman in the face with a crossbow for no reason other than to show off what a thoroughly bad guy he is. The city's civilian populace, your main source of income, are soulless coin dispensers - when you can find them at all. And Garrett, well, Garrett is a thief. That's it. Sometimes he robs stately homes, sometimes he robs brothels, sometimes he stays home and just gazes proudly at all the things he's robbed in the past. But we're never told why - there was no motivation for his nighttime escapades that anyone raised in my time with the game. He's a larcenous automaton, stealing to buy upgrades so that he can steal things more easily, like the unhappy office worker who needs his job to pay for the car he drives to work in.

Thief's story cast me as a murderer, a cutpurse and - in story twist close to the demo's end - an unlikely hero of the city's downtrodden. It could have made me feel like a bastard or a superhero, or both. But sadly, critically, only made me feel like I was playing a video game.

There's a myriad of previews out discussing the game. Why post this one? Well, it stuck out to me that this is a PREVIEW. Not a review and well..ouch.

Yeah. I saw that posted over at ttlg forums. Sucks bigtime!!!!! Been waiting over 10 !)#@$!)(# years for this game. Watched a video of Sessler's preview and he said it was enjoyable. Personally, I'm going to bet that PC Gamer is more in line with how I'm going to feel about this game. Possibly not. The pc gaming crowd SERIOUSLY nitpicks every freakin tiny detail about anything Thief related, that sometimes I just shake my head. I know I'm going to get it. I'm not too encouraged by any of the previews, other than Sesslers.

Be a damn shame if Eidos ruins this game. If it flops, that's pretty much the end of Thief. We'll find out in a few more weeks.

I'm just hoping that it's modifiable. Leave it to the mod community to fix everything. Probably won't be though. .

EGM eviscerated it as well. 3.5 out of 10. They called it a hot mess and a game that could very well put the final nail in the coffin for the franchise.

Guess I should revisit Dishonored instead.

Rented this one today from Redbox just to play something new on the X1.  Probably take longer to install than the time I'll play it!   :not bad:

I've been a fan since day 1 of the original Thief. Figured I'd give this a try, since it's been 10 years since any Thief games have seen the light of day. Well, I've been playing it for several hours now, and It's not quite as bad as some are making it out to be. My personal problems with the game, are the absolutely horrible map, and the way The City has been once again held back by last gen consolitis. There are WAY too many load zones. I actually think that there are more loading zones in this game, than the last one that came out 10 years ago! Seriously. I have no clue wtf Eidos was thinking. I'm guessing it's to fit the 360 and PS3's limited memory. No way the PS4/PC would need it this chopped up. Trying to find your way across The City is a grind. Should be able to just fluidly move across 'the thieves highway', and get where you're going. You can't. It's tons of narrow corridors, dead ends, and load zones. The reviewers got that part spot on.

I'm playing on Master Thief difficulty, and it's been challenging sometimes. Having fun with it. It's definitely not a great game, imho. It is a decent game. I've been a member of TTLG forums since 2000. There are some guys on there that take complaining and whining to new levels I didn't know existed. They're worse the 13 year old emo girls. I read so many negative posts that I'm actually surprised that I'm having any fun with the game at all.

I might have a different opinion by the time I'm done with it, if the story really is that horrible.

Knowing Square, they'll have buried this by end of year, so I'll grab it at ten bucks or less. I love Thief, but they don't have my confidence based on reviews.

See, I've got confidence there's some fun to be had with the game. I just don't have confidence that I'll get around to playing it before Squeenix drop the price to under £10 as part of their usual panic about sales volume.

Rented this on the XB1 and I'm about halfway through.  I think a lot of the Giant Bomb points are valid (the load times and map are pretty terrible), but it's not without its charms.  Worth a rental or a look when it hits the bargain bin.