360 ARMY OF TWO ELECTRONIC ARTS 606.1K

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 409.8K

PSP GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS 340.5K

PSP CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII 301.6K

WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK 264.1K

360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K8 237.1K

360 *CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE 237K

PS3 ARMY OF TWO 224.9K

So the Wii does 712k for the month when Smash Bros. obliterates sales in the 2.7 million range? Yeah, Nintendo isn't controlling the stream of Wii's hitting the market at all *sarcasm*.

Suprised at how well Vegas 2 did also. I knew it would do well, but not quite that well. I'm sure EA is happy with the numbers for Army of Two as well. A sequel is no doubt being prepared. 360/PS3 sales are about on par anymore. The NPD for the next two months will be *very* interesting as I'm keen to see which console benefits from GTA4's release the most.

Finally, /great/ month for Sony's PSP. Two big titles in the top 10 and almost 300k for the month. I've fallen in love with the machine in the past few months and I'm glad to see it do well.

A few more numbers

360 Guitar Hero III 121.2K

360 Lost Odyssey 65K

PS3 Hot Shots Golf 5 36.2K

PS3 Rainbow Six Vegas 2 154.7K

DS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates 67,300

Wii Bully: Scholarship Edition 37,400

Call of Duty 4 PS3 ~150k

Rock Band PS3+360 = 300k

Guitar Hero 3 All versions = 631k

MLB 2K8 All versions = 415k

Its too bad Hot Shots only did 36K as it is a fun game with a very good online component, even without voice chat. Not suprised about MLB2K8, even with all of its problems, when it is the only thing available for 360 owners. I am curious how The Show did compared to MLB2K8 on the PS3. Anyone have that number?

So the Wii does 712k for the month when Smash Bros. obliterates sales in the 2.7 million range? Yeah, Nintendo isn't controlling the stream of Wii's hitting the market at all *sarcasm*.

Well they have stated that they control the allocation to the different regions based on big titles being released. Japan got a larger allocation when Wii Fit was released, we get more into the channel with Super Smash, and Europe gets the shaft by having to wait the longest for games.

Well they have stated that they control the allocation to the different regions based on big titles being released.

I think it runs a bit deeper than just regional allocation control is my point. The past has proven that Nintendo is keen to control supply/demand (the N64 is a prime example). I'm not much for conspiracy theories but I just have a hard time believing that Nintendo is somehow supply constrained this far out from launch. I know the demand for the console is high and if this were the Holiday season then sure - but I don't think it's quite as simple as all that.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar Romier. The benefits to Nintendo of controlling the supply of Wiis this far out from launch is dubious and arguable. What possible gain can they get from constraining supply over two xmas seasons vs. having a much larger install base heading forward? I'm not saying it's impossible, I just think it would be a very hard sell for an executive to pitch to a stockholder or board of directors this level of subterfuge. One month of manipulation is easy, 2+ years?

They have been ramping up their production for months, I believe the March/April timeframe was always the window for when the supply would increase. I'm sure there was pressure to get it done before SSBB arrived, but that is common sense (with or without conspiracy overtones)?

The more interesting question to me is how soon can we expect price cuts to the 360 and PS3? They are starting to get railroaded by the little white console that "thought it could." GTA4 will be a boon for the other consoles, but this is starting to get away from them.

Wiibowling is the only game that I play on my Wii, and I play it rarely. And after the Nintendo summit, it seems like there are only two mildly interesting games on the horizon: the Spielberg one and Wiifit. I just don't understand how the Wii is so "successful." I'd like to see the average bottom line publishers get for supporting the Wii versus the 360 and PS3. I understand that MarioKart and Smashbrothers are great sellers for Nintendo and they make money on the hardware. But for gamers like me, I just am not feeling the love. Maybe E3 will get me excited.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar Romier.

If you want a cigar, I got one right here for ya chief.;)

2+ years?

The Wii has been on store shelves for 1 year and some odd months if memory serves. The 360 is going into its second year on the market.

They have been ramping up their production for months, I believe the March/April timeframe was always the window for when the supply would increase.

We'll see next month then won't we? I'm not quite so confident that supply issues will suddenly show resolution in the coming months. I think we'll be in the same limited supply situation we're in right now right up until the holiday season. Now, if next month we still see 700+ thousand consoles sold or more than the general 400k we've been seeing (which goes to the regional allocation Drunk mentioned), then I'l happily agree with you.

Keeping demand for the console high even after the longevity of its release is still viable strategy for Nintendo and controlling the flow of the console is the most efficient way to do that (and it's something they've done in the past as noted). Especially considering how much word of mouth they have going and the price point for the console being exactly where it needs to be to hit that casual market that won't look at the 360/PS3 as a viable alternative (until a price cut hits and I think even then it's too late).

You mention userbase which is a good point. I would say that Nintendo has already surpassed the competition in that department (and indeed, on a worlwide numbers basis they are the #1 console in the world userbase wise). They have the userbase and I would put forth that they are looking at making sure the Wii continues to be a long term money maker (and not just blow thier load into retail as quickly as possibly to grow a userbase that has surpassed the competition and continues to grow steadily).

As noted, I'm no conspiracy theorist but I have a hard time believing that Nintendo production constraints are STILL going this far into the life span of the console (considering the tech). It's a feeling I have with no evidence whatsoever but I'm not so quick to buy into the "Yeah, we're still production constrained" line.

But for gamers like me, I just am not feeling the love.

Gamers like you have proven to not exactly be the target audience for the Wii though. The type of person that plays Carnival Games though - well they're in heaven.;)

If you haven't played Mario Galaxy or Super Paper Mario on the Wii yet, you are missing out on two of the best games of '07. Mario Galaxy being one of the greatest games of all time, IMHO.

-Dean-

I played MG and really liked it. I have no played Paper Mario though. Or Metroid. Perhaps they should both be on my next gamefly list.