LCVG

Siren Blood Curse - PS3

Romier S

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The demo for the new Siren is available for download on the Japanese PSN. I downloaded it this morning but haven't had a chance to play it as of yet.

Impressions online are favorable and they note that all of the voicework is in english as are the menus. The only issue is the games objectives are in Japanese making it a bit difficult to follow but it should be fairly US friendly for those that have a Japanese account.

Wow, talk about a suprise. I really liked the demo. Huge leap in visuals fom the first Siren (though it's not exactly a stunning looking next gen game taken on its own merits) and I like the semi-stealth survival horror vibe. It's quite creepy and yet it makes you want to explore the world despite being pretty linear. After the utter disappointment in seeing those new Silent Hill screens, there may be hope for survival horror just yet. Here's hoping they bring this over to the states and if they don't. I might just end up importing and looking for a good translation guide for the mission objectives.:tu

PS: If you want to play the demo in first person, hit select and hit R1 until you're under options. Choose Camera Type B and click R3 to go into first person. If you're on Type A you have to press and hold R2 to go into first person.

• 2 weeks later...

Siren coming to the West as PSN episodes. Interesting direction for Sony to take this, making it a series of PSN exclusive TV "episodes" to download & play.

The next-gen horror-survival title is set in the Japanese village of Hanuda, where a TV crew from America arrive to research the legend of the ‘Vanished Village’ where human sacrifice is said to have taken place thirty years ago. Players discover the horrific curse that haunts Hanuda and battle to save the village’s survivors from the living dead – a spine-tingling struggle that involves using the unique Sight-Jack system to view events from the angle of your undead pursuers. In a gaming first, Siren Blood Curse will be released episodically, keeping gamers on the edge of their seats until the next download arrives in PSN.

• 2 weeks later...

More...

[ATTACH]3512[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3513[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3514[/ATTACH]

Some of the texture work could look much better, but overall (and having played the demo), the game looks quite good. I like the atmosphere and the demo really got me psyched to play. The PiP sightjacking should fix a WORLD of issues I had with the original PS2 release! I hope this and Alone in the Dark will be as good as I hope they are. I'm needing a horror fix!

Nope, Japanese store only Dan. Just create a Japanese account. It's ridiculously easy to do (and you can find walkthroughs all over the place). In my eyes, if you have a PS3 you should have US, Japanese and UK account just to get all of the content possible.

• 1 month later...

Eurogamer have posted thier review of the first three chapters of Siren. I think they liked it.:)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=172394

ometimes, however, combat won't be an option at all. In the first mission of the game, you need to run and hide from an armed police officer with a gun and an unfortunate case of zombie eyes. The fact that you don't get a useful weapon until the very end of the mission makes the tension all the better. The game returns to that theme in the last mission of the three-chapter chunk we're reviewing today, where you play a defenceless young girl who can't risk being spotted by any of the undead nurses who infest the ruined hospital in which she finds herself. Even knocking over something in the dark and making a noise can have them screeching and converging on you, resulting in heart palpitations as you hunt for somewhere to hide. It's superb, creepy, unbearably tense stuff.

Graphically, the game is nothing short of stunning. Eschewing the clean, crisp look that many other HD games - including present PS3 poster boy MGS4 - have opted for, Blood Curse demonstrates ably how to achieve the gritty, murky look that works so well for survival-horror. The ruined village and its forested surrounds are full of dark, moving shadows, every texture is corroded and rough, and the air is full of swirling mists which add flavour to the environment, rather than obscuring your vision. Indoors, the use of light and shadow is brilliant - on occasion, your first heart-stopping indicator of an impending threat will be a shadow in the light from a doorway.

So even if Americanised remakes leave you screaming and running for the hills (for all the wrong reasons), Blood Curse comes with a strong recommendation. For a fiver, we're struggling to think of any reason why you shouldn't try out the first three chapters of what will, at this rate, turn out to be a superb game overall. Look out for our full review of the 20-quid whole closer to its 24th July release.

They gave the first three chapters a 9/10.

I must be totally jaded or something cause I don't see the hype here?

I have to ask what exactly you consider to be "hype" in regards to Siren? It's a fairly low key release hitting the PSN in three chapter "episodic" chunks at $5 a pop (with a Blu-Ray release shortly after). It's a remake/reimagining of a game that wasn't a huge success but was developed by some of the key guys behind Silent Hill which had a world of potential and flaws almost as big to match. Hardly what I would call "hyped".

Thankfully they look to have corrected a good number of the issues with the original game (some of the fixes culled from the sequel which never hit the States) and in the process are releasing a high quality horror game in episodic fashion. If you don't have an affinity for horror games - then this isn't going to do much to change your mind.

I played the Japanese demo and I loved the atmosphere and gameplay changes over the original game which I hated. The Eurogamer review (one of the few media outlets I trust), solidified my resolve in getting the game when it releases. Apparently the PSN demo will be released here in the states tonight so decide for yourself (or create a Japanese account and download it).

I have to ask what exactly you consider to be "hype" in regards to Siren? It's a fairly low key release hitting the PSN in three chapter "episodic" chunks at $5 a pop (with a Blu-Ray release shortly after). It's a remake/reimagining of a game that wasn't a huge success but was developed by some of the key guys behind Silent Hill which had a world of potential and flaws almost as big to match. Hardly what I would call "hyped".

:tu

This project was done with a pretty minor budget, too. A labor of love. They don't even have a proper US promo site for it.

For those interested, Siren is up on the Japanese store right now. It's only available for the next two days and then they they will be releasing it on BD on the 24th. The game is up for 5,500 Yen (roughly $55 bucks) and is a 9GB download. The full game is included in the download but you only get access to the first and second chapter with a pair of episodes unlocking every day until all 12 are playable.

Keep in mind this release is only for the Japanese. In the US, you will be able to download the full game for $39.99 and you'll be able to purchase 3-chapter chunks at $9.99 a pop. Siren is due for release on July 24th in the states.

It looks like pricing is finalized and the game will be hitting the PSN this week:

Looking forward to Siren: Blood Curse? Good, because it's going to have a budget release on PSN later this week. The survival horror game will be downloadable for a discount price of only $40 for the entire game ... or $15 for each episode pack. Each episode pack will contain four episodes, with each episode averaging about an hour or two of gameplay each. That's 4-8 hours of gameplay for $15 each. Buy all three episode packs and save $5.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/21/siren-blood-curse-to-terrorize-psn-for-40-15-each-episode-pa/

It's great to see the whole game going up at once for a cool $40 bucks. I'm all over it. The full game will take up about 9GB of HDD space.