LCVG

PS3 and WMP11

bgarcia

So, anyone know the secret to having the PS3 find all of your music on the pc? It finds all the media in my 'shared documents' folder/subfolders. But it doesn't see any music from the 'my documents' folders. Funny thing is it sees the pictures and videos in 'my xxx' folders, but not anything from the 'my music' folders. Could it be a size issue? Anyone have any ideas or theories? Oh, and I've made sure that I'm sharing my music folder.

Yea, this is all a bunch of horseshit. It reminds me of why I hate dealing with software so much. And a big part of the reason I'm not attracted to all the 'media center' hype that the new systems are generating. Just playing around from pc to pc pisses me off. I was just now trying to see if I could play music (my rips, unprotected) from one pc to the other, and it only works one way. One pc can play the music from the other (using Musicmatch), but the other won't play from the first (using WMP), unless I move the tracks to the top 'my music' folder. Either I'm a networking/windows idiot, or this is a BUNCH OF HORSESHIT!

I was just trying to straighten this out after experiencing the cool visuals on the PS3, but alas, my patience has reached its end, yet again.

I haven't had any problems playing content from WMP11 on my PS3 (though my media folders were added manually and aren't in My Documents). Do you see your My Documents folder listed in the monitored folders when you go to 'Add To Library'?

What I really wish is that I could find a solution, Mac or Windows, that would stream my h264 video reliably to the PS3. It really doesn't seem to do well with that over the network.

I've had no problems using Window Media Connect on both my 360 and PS3 for streaming music. One issue I did have on the PS3 was that after playing a song it wouldn't move onto the next one in the playlist. It would just stop playing anything. I refuse to install WMP 11 on my computer. I tried it once and was amazed at how cluttered it was and how shitty its resource management is. Uninstalled it imediately and never looked back. Winamp + Windows media connect handle all my music playing needs.

I haven't had any problems playing content from WMP11 on my PS3 (though my media folders were added manually and aren't in My Documents). Do you see your My Documents folder listed in the monitored folders when you go to 'Add To Library'?

This is in WMP11, right? I'll check and see, because I have noticed that it doesn't add any purchased music automatically, and that all goes to 'my music' in 'my documents'.

I wonder why for some people this works so easily, and for others it is a nightmare. Both my Xbox 360 and PS3 connected easily, with no effort on my part (years a part also). Other people seem to really struggle with it. Since my network all connected automatically I can not even help people as I did not do anything except authorize sharing with the Xbox 360 and PS3.

I wonder why for some people this works so easily, and for others it is a nightmare. Both my Xbox 360 and PS3 connected easily, with no effort on my part (years a part also). Other people seem to really struggle with it. Since my network all connected automatically I can not even help people as I did not do anything except authorize sharing with the Xbox 360 and PS3.

I had some trouble once. Spent hours trying to make it work. Trouble was Windows Firewall had snuck its way on again. :bh

I have trouble with the 360. It simply is not happy unless the Xbox is getting its IP address dynamically from a DNS server. Whenever I tinker with media sharing, I have to disconnect the old computer, change the Xbox to dynamic IP, enable the new sharing, connect the xbox to the computer, and then change the Xbox back to a static IP address. :( I can see how this could thwart some people.

BTW: I settled on TVersity over WMP quite some time ago. I liked that it will transcode video to the right format if needed, and do podcast streams / internet radio (OK, I'm still working on getting that working). Although the only thing I really use it for, really, is music streaming (CDs now in the closet).

I am currently playing with Winamp Remote as my streaming software which is based on ORB. I'm pretty fond of the new Winamp, I was looking for some new MP3 playing software.

Monitored folders are ok. Been doing some experimenting from pc to pc over the last week, and ended up running the network wizard again. Still got some weird behaviour from pc to pc. Never tried the PS3 again until last night, mostly because I noticed that my cheap Nero version includes a media server option. So I fired it off last night, and it worked fine. Showed all of my music just fine. BUT, so did the WMP11 server. Nero gave me a warning about having to change my windows firewall, so I don't know if that's what did it. ANOTHER BUT, this morning the lan connection on the pc is not working. Wouldn't obtain an ip address from the router. Had to reboot the router to get it back. So maybe it's a router issue? I'll see if it happens again after tonight. I'm going to see what WMP11 shows without firing up the NERO server, and I'll go from there.

Is there a free software package to stream video/music from a Mac to the PS3/360?

None that I know of , which is why I always mention 360 connect from Nullriver

It just got another update which has made things even more stable(if that's possible as it was fine before), and you can now organize videos in folders and your 360 will be able to read it. A bunch of other asked for items have been added as well