LCVG

The World Ends With You (DS)

EnemaEms

Played the first day so far (less than it sounds, it's like twenty minutes or so).

Very complex, in a good way, and I love the art style and the storyline has been interesting as hell thus far. It's on my 'next' list after I wrap Mass Effect and sink my teeth into GTAIV.

I finally picked this up today. Played through the 1st day and it has a very interesting battle system. So far I like it and the story has been pretty neat so far. The art style is phenomenal. Thank God you can let the person fighting in the top screen go into auto mode. If not, I would have been selling this game ASAP.

-Dean-

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly 1/3 of the way through the game now.

I effing love it. There's just so much here, it's almost overwhelming but they ease you into it very gradually and some things don't require your attention if you choose to ignore it (the branding, for example). I can't get enough of the battle system, it's insanely fun and fast-paced. Big props for the latter part, RPGs have needed a system that rewards you for being speedy for ages now. And I can't get enough of the combo battles.

Dual-screen combat takes a lot of coordination, but you can be a total ass-kicked with just your bottom screen plus auto-play. I happily wail away, levelling my badges up into a set of pins you could kill a man with.

To say nothing of the story, which has taken some very interesting twists so far. There were two corkers in just this first 1/3 that were well done (one was not surprising, another made for some fantastic character moments). Made by the KH team, yes, but this is bounds better than that series, for my money.

This game needs more love, love it people!

I'm over halfway through the second portion of the game and I'd probably be a lot farther if I could just stop fighting. And not because of random combat, 'cuz there isn't any, but I literally have so much fun trying to kick ass and take names in the battle system that I keep beating shit up rather than advancing the storyline.

One of the best combat systems I've seen in an action-RPG and perfectly suited to the DS. The variety of pins is astounding; there's some overlap but mostly they are all clever and unique. Early contender for my game of the year for sure.

I'm with you Mark. I have been playing on my lunch at work and am only working on Day 3 now. I am just having too much fun with the battle system myself and am working real slow. The game is phenomenal. Easily the best DS game to date and one of the best portable games ever.

-Dean-

I'm gonna try to snag this on my way to the airport today. I figured I had enough old games (Layton, Crush, Geometry Wars DS) to keep me busy on my trip, but I've been meaning to pick this up sometime and now I'm kicking myself for not having it already.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, but I am enjoying it. Not very far yet, so it may grow on me still. I'm not big on JRPGs so sometimes it annoys me with the oodles of silly dialogue (from silly characters), but the sweet music makes it all good.

I'd say if you're not big on JRPGs then you won't get converted by this or anything.

I like the characters, they're a little less stock than usual and at least Neku goes through an actual character arc.

Some of the permutations of the Reaper's game are a little convoluted, but this is one of the better stories I've had the pleasure of playing through in a long time. The twists that come out and the character choices are great. I'm on the third section of the game right now and the game just knows how to ratchet up the tension well.

Oh, and I finally got some of the microphone activated combat pins and DAMN if they aren't fun. The variety of combat options in the game is a huge plus for me. And I know Yahtzee bitches about being able to ignore certain game aspects and them feeling tacked on, but to my mind that's a plus. I cannot handle the dual-screen combat worth a damn so it's nice that I can let the computer run it for the most part and have done so very successfully up to this point.

But, again, to each their own, I hope it gets more interesting for you, Covak :).