LCVG

NFL '08 Discussion Thread

JoeyN

Surprised no one talked about the draft yesterday.

Nothing surprising in the top 6. Then all hell broke loose with some trade ups, and some odd picks. What Chicago a Houston were thinking with their picks is beyond me. Those guys were not even projected to go till late 2nd, early 3rd round.

Then the packers pick a QB in the 2nd round, what is up with that.

For the locals

The jets picking up Gholston was a good one. Hopefully he lives up to his potential. Then they traded up to get the 30 pick to get a Tight End :eh. I guess Baker really pissed them off. They gotta release him now. They draft a TE in the first round who will get good $$, and signed Bubba Franks in the offseason as well. No room for a third TE.

That leaves the Giants who did what they had to do in getting Kenny Phillips. Thanks to the teams I mentioned above for their oddball picks, because Reese the giants GM had Phillips as their top choice, but thought he would not drop down that far. Then they got Terrell Thomas as well which help in depth. Shockey is still a giant which is kind of surprising, but he is a good player and hopefully he has a big year.

Looking at the other rounds today. Word is the giants will go for a WR in the third.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then the packers pick a QB in the 2nd round, what is up with that.

Doesn't surprise me in the least... The Packers ONLY have Rodgers now. Nall wasn't worth anything and won't be back. There aren't any worthwhile veterans for the Packers to pick up... So, instead, they picked up 2 QB's in the draft to put behind Rodgers in the lineup. Who knows? Maybe one of them will actually challenge Rodgers for the starting spot in a year or two - especially if Rodgers does not work out as they hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what, there was more then one tape in Spygate. From ESPN

After brokering a deal to protect himself, former New England Patriots employee Matt Walsh has finally turned over his evidence in the videotaping controversy.

The New York Times reported and the NFL confirmed on Wednesday that Walsh sent eight tapes to the league that show the Patriots recording the play-calling signals of five opponents in six games between 2000 and 2002.

Taping the signals of opposing teams is prohibited by league rules, and the Patriots were already fined $750,000 and docked a first-round draft choice in September for taping the New York Jets. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell left open the possibility that more penalties could be levied.

A Patriots employee from 1997-2003, Walsh reached an agreement to turn over the tapes in exchange for being indemnified from all future legal fees.

The New York Times obtained a list of the Walsh tapes, and the league confirmed that list, which says that the Patriots taped offensive and defensive coaches in regular-season games against the Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns and San Diego Chargers. The team also made video of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2002 AFC Championship Game.

Walsh's tapes do not include the video of the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl, as reported by the Boston Herald.

"Mr. Walsh has never claimed to have a tape of the walk-through," said Walsh's lawyer Michael Levy, according to the Times. "Mr. Walsh has never been the source of any of the media speculation about such a tape. Mr. Walsh was not the source for the Feb. 2 Boston Herald article."

Walsh has separate meetings scheduled on Tuesday with the commissioner and Senator Arlen Specter in which he is expected to provide additional details about the taping process.

Under his agreement with the league, Walsh can retain copies of his videotapes, but he cannot use them without the consent of the NFL.

Under his agreement with the league, Walsh can retain copies of his videotapes, but he cannot use them without the consent of the NFL.

<NFL Cool Voice Guy>

It is illegal to broadcast in part, or whole any portion of these illegally filmed play-calling signals, without the expressed written consent of the National Football League, the New England Patriots football team, and this network.

</NFL Cool Voice Guy>

• 3 weeks later...

I'm watching the Giants Road to XLII DVD right now.

I jumped right to the Super Bowl and turned the Strahan commentary on. Great stuff!

Bummer that it's not widescreen, but I really can't complain. It's really nice to be able to own entire games, rather than highlights.

I'm watching the Giants Road to XLII DVD right now.

I jumped right to the Super Bowl and turned the Strahan commentary on. Great stuff!

Bummer that it's not widescreen, but I really can't complain. It's really nice to be able to own entire games, rather than highlights.

When the shipment arrived at work this past saturday.. We put it right into the DVD player at work.. its playing on a loop . Your right though Ricky the Strahan stuff is great.

Mike Strahan will be missed, and leaves me with great Big Blue memories. He's earned it, and going out on top was I believe the way to go.

We'll be seeing that dude on TV real soon, though. He's got a great personality and I look forward to hearing his insights into the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Total bullshit, heard this on the fan:

Giants and Jets raising prices and gauging season ticket holders:

June 26 (Bloomberg) -- New York Giants' fans will have to pay as much as $20,000 for the right to buy season tickets under a plan to raise money for a $1.6 billion stadium being built in New Jersey.

The Giants will join at least 17 other major U.S. sports franchises to sell so-called personal seat licenses, which require fans to pay a one-time fee before buying season tickets, the Super Bowl champions said in a statement.

The New York Jets, who will share the National Football League stadium with the Giants when it opens in 2010, haven't determined whether they will also sell personal seat licenses, team spokesman Bruce Speight said in an interview.

The Giants said their PSL prices range from $1,000 to $20,000, with 90 percent of seats in the stadium's upper bowl having the lowest licensing fee. Fewer than 5,000 seats in the stadium, which will have a capacity of 82,500, will have a PSL price of $20,000, the Giants said.

So if you have been a season ticket holder for 30 years, pay up or lose them. From what I heard on the fan, the JETS will be following the Giants lead. My friend was called for season tickets so I get one of them. We were hoping to get dibs on the new stadium. Unfortunately, I don't have 10,000 grand lying around.

Imagine what it is like to be a Cowboy's season ticket holder right now. Incredibly their PSL pricing will be going as high as $150,000! It doesn't make it right, but it makes the Giants and Jets cheap by comparison.

With all the black outs we've had I guess this should be expected at some point.

And in Jacksonville, Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver, who has been shopping his team for a while now, appears to be getting closer to finding a buyer, the Daily News has learned. According to several league sources, Weaver is negotiating to sell the Jags to billionaire C. Dean Metropoulos.

If Metropoulos buys the Jags, it probably won't bode well for the city of Jacksonville. The Jaguars, who entered the league as an expansion franchise in 1995, have been one of the teams that have been most often mentioned as a candidate to eventually relocate to Los Angeles.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20080709_Steelers__Jaguars_might_soon_have_new_owners.html

Favre is my all time favorite player, but to be honest, I am disappointed he is flip-flopping. I am never a fan of this type of thing and I will applaud the Packers if they do infact stay committed to Rogers. It will be rough seeing him wear other colors, but that is fine. If he goes to either Chicago or Minnesota, I will be rooting against him. I will be worried if he went to Minnesota. The Bears will still suck if he goes there since they have zero talent and an old-ass line to protect him. If he does indeed go to the Vi-Queens, I have them penciled in for the Super Bowl.

-Dean-