LCVG

The Stage

Jordan_E

Don't know how many of y'all go see stage shows, but me and the Mrs. try to hit either Seattle's Fifth Avenue or The Paramount Theater at least once a year. Last week we went to see My Fair Lady. It was a decent presentation, with some nice staging, and had at least one link to the movie in the form of Marnie Nixon, who was the singing voice in the Warner classic. This one has a relatively short run in Seattle, less than a week.

Later in the summer, we'll be seeing A Chorus Line, Shrek: The Musical (yes, it plays here first before heading for Broadway, the same as with Young Frankenstein and Hairspray in the past), and The Phantom of the Opera. I learned to enjoy stage shows from going to our local dinner theater back in the day when I wrote a small piece in the local newspaper about their ambitious (their description, not mine) staging of Dracula; that show was a mess, but the backstage stuff was great. Wish I could write about some backstage stuff for one of these big productions some day. It's always more interesting than the actual show itself.

• 1 month later...

Spamalot played here earlier this year (or was it late last year?), but I couldn't talk the wife into going to see it. Bummer.

At the time, I was against Sunset Blvd. because it is also one of my favorite movies of all time (a movie every writer should see), but as I've gotten older it's become one of my "Dang-I-am-Stupid!" things for not seeing.

Spamalot was amazing. Awesome sets, actors, SFX, etc... really felt like I got my moneys' worth.

Later this fall we are getting RENT in Austin (along with Spamalot again) and in the spring here in SA... Avenue Q and, my personal favorite.... Wicked.

Local stage scene last night for the daughter's dance class. Question: why put the 5 year olds on during the final section of the LONG 2 hour+ show?! Nothing like seeing a group of teens attempting Little Shop of Horrors, some "hip-hop" dance routines, and Wicked to really ruin a Friday night. Oh well. Our daughter was cute and there won't be another stage show until the holiday season.

• 2 months later...

Got our Avenue Q tickets for next month ... Center Mez 2nd row.

My best friend got to see Evil Dead the Musical last week in Toronto. I wish we'd get a production down here in Texas! Seems right up Austin's alley!

Anyone else surrounded by coworkers who have no clue about the theater? I swear when I talk musicals people look at me like I'm crazy with two heads and immediately question my sexuality :)

Anyone else surrounded by coworkers who have no clue about the theater? I swear when I talk musicals people look at me like I'm crazy with two heads and immediately question my sexuality :)

Mmmmmm....

I wish we'd get a production down here in Texas!

I think that's your answer why ;)

Shrek The Musical worked. Going in, I didn't think it would work that well, but was pleasantly surprised. Most of the songs were excellent, a few even outstanding; the sets were almost in perpetual motion; the guy playing Lord Farquard (on his knees the entire time) was hilarious, the highlight of the show. By intermission, the wife leaned over and asked when we could buy the show's CD (I think it goes on sale in November, when it moves to Broadway). There were a couple of clunkers and one too many fart jokes for me, but overall it captured the humor of the first movie quite well. Well worth the time and money.

• 3 weeks later...

Off to see The Phantom of the Opera this afternoon. Main floor, 5 rows back.

Well, The Phantom is starting to show its age. What was show-stopping in the past now seems dated after watching new shows like Shrek: The Musical. The Phantom of the Opera is 20 years old now and feels like it, and it didn't help that one of the show's big fireworks went off like a wet firecracker. And the performers didn't seem to "get into" the show until after intermission, their voices sounded weak until the second half. What this show needs is a major overhaul, bringing it into the 21st century, but it still makes money and that's all that counts, I guess.

Edited by Jordan_E

• 3 weeks later...

We saw Avenue Q on Thursday at the Magestic Theater here in San Antonio... Front Mez, 2 rows back (my preferred location).

I've always loved the music of the show but it just felt lost in our big theater in terms of staging and direction. After seeing the lighting, massive sets, and sfx of newer shows like Spamalot it just felt like watching the old black box performances of my youth... one set with very few actors.

Not saying it was bad... it was HILARIOUS and the performances were great... and I'm glad I finally saw it... but I dunno... I expected more. Perhaps listening to the soundtrack like a bazillion times before I saw it psyched me out ;)

Live Puppet sex was worth the price of admission. I will give them that.

Next up is RENT up in Austin in November... which I am soooo excited about. Probably too much, actually. :D

We're also going to catch Wicked but we haven't decided on the January show in Austin or June in San Antonio. Spamalot is also coming back to Austin December-ish so I might talk the lady into seeing it with me again. Perhaps I can barter Spamalot for CATS (ugh). Meoooow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...