LCVG

Xbox woes

rustyjaw

As many of you know, I have way more than my share of Dirty Disc errors on my Xbox. Lately the frequency of these has been rising, and now tossed into the mix are a smattering of points in games where it just freezes and I hear the disc accessing, sometimes after ~30 seconds of this, it springs back to life...no error shows up. Other times, it leaves the game altogether and gives me a 'system' dialog box (i.e. in the Xbox dashboard-like interface) saying that "Your Xbox cannot recognize this disc..."

I bought my Xbox via an ad on craigslist.com, it was new and unopened (the guy had won it in a raffle), but I believe it was an early edition. I did check it carefully when met the guy to buy it, and I am convinced it hadn't been used.

At this point, after seeing the problems get worse, it makes me think at least part of this may be helped by getting a cleaning disc. But what kind of disc? I'm hesitant to put a regular CD-player cleaner in, will it work?

And as a last resort, is there any expectation that MS will fix it for nothing, or is that wishful thinking? If not nothing, how much will it cost? At this point, I'd consider getting a new one, but I hate to fork over more money because they couldn't build one right in the first place (if indeed it's defective).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though it may sound a little wrong, Another thing you could do instead of buying a new one full price is trade the one you have in to eb . At the moment they are giving $100 in trade in credit. then buy the new bundle with the the credit and some out of pocket cash .

As for cleaning it im pretty sure you can use a regular cleaner for it. I know a few others have

capt

I'm not sure how I feel about selling it to EB, as it's in effect a defective unit (since I posted, I went to play Crimson Skies single player and had two game-ending DD errors in 20 minutes). They'll sell it used, right? I'd hate to be the kid whose parents bought him this Xbox for Christmas :shock:

I'll try the cleaning disc and go from there.

Nothing wrong if you say, "My Xbox is having DD errors" when you sell it to them. I've heard of Microsoft being both soft-hearted or hard-assed about these problems, with some customer service techs offering to fix it for free (make sure you mention you know the Thompson drives are prone to these errors) and others demanding $100 for repairs (you might also mention that's the cost of a new GameCube).

I'm assuming yours has a Thompson DVD drive? If so, call MS & tell them your situation. They may replace the drive even if it's out of warranty...they have done it for some folks as they're well aware of the problems with the Thompson drives.

Bah...adamsappel beat me to it.

Originally posted by Dan B.@Nov 2 2003, 09:08 PM

Here's a pic that identifies the different drives Ed:

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/megasdkirby/...son_samsung.jpg

BTW, I have an extended warranty on mine & I'm on my 2nd Thompson drive - and I'm about ready to send it in for my 3rd! I wish they'd just swap in one of the other drives this time. :roll:

Aha! Thanks for that, Dan.

Indeed I have the Thompson drive. So you've got a defective one (or two) too? Do my problems sound familiar?

I might still get a cleaning disc just to see if it gets any better. But it's looking like a new Xbox or replacement drive are going to be the only final solutions.

As an aside, I work part time at E.B. and we've had people come to trade a system in and buy a new one of the same system on the same visit. We let it go. :green:

As long as the machine fires up and doesn't look visibly damaged, you are fully eligible for a trade-in.

When the next person buys it, they do have a 14 day exchange period...

The machine then gets sent off with the other defectives.

So if you're worried about that little kid, don't. :D

To answer your question about cleaning the lens, yes, any CD Lens cleaner kit will work just fine. In fact, I recently took apart my PS2 and cleaned the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol...

Good luck with fixing the 'Box, Ed.

I'm pretty sure mine's a Thompson too. No DD errors, but one thing I've noticed of late is that sometimes a game just won't boot when I put it in the drive. I have to cycle the power or open and reclose it for it to start booting. I was actually attributing this to the new dashboard since it started only after I downloaded it, but now I wonder if its the drive. :?

Anyone else have similar problems? (but no DD errors)?

Thompson drive, here, also. I have an more then an occasional problem with "Xbox cannot recognize this disk" errors. But a lot of times it just locks up

during loads with an awful swirling sound. It seems to happen more with curtain games more then others GR, GR:IT, RS3. Seems like my system just does not like the UBI Soft games. But come to think of it thats all I have been playing as of late. I got the Extended Warrenty but have been puting off having to call and send it out. I am not even sutre if its still good. I wonder about how long the turn around time would be? I did this with my sony and I think it took about a month or more.

Originally posted by ChoiceStriker@Nov 4 2003, 04:09 PM

Maybe I'm just na?ve here, but I've never even heard of Thompson. I can't believe Microsoft would be so cheap as to skimp on such an integral component of their system by going with the lowest bidder. Oh wait, yes I can.

I do believe Thompson and RCA are somehow linked.

I think that Thomson owns RCA. At least that's what this RCA press release suggests.

Ah, that would explain a lot. RCA, ever the standard bearer for product reliability. :roll:

I think EVERYTHING I've ever owned from RCA (including audio tapes and audio/video cables) has crapped out on me. That's not an exaggeration - I really do mean literally everything.

Never had enough faith in the RCA name to drop that kind of coin on a ProScan... the years of defective clock radios, cd players and VCRs in my family didn't exactly instill that kind of confidence in me. But anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this thread into an "RCA sucks" thread... just making an observation about my experience with RCA quality (or lack thereof).