LCVG

My experience with Futureshop HT expert

James T

What I ended up recommending my friend was for him to pick up the tv, PS3 and to save up for a sound system/speaker. I told him I'll give him mine since I've already upgraded a few months back.

So the rep at FS is now trying to sell him a HTIB. I don't know the exact model, but there are no HDMI inputs and only component/optical. He told my friend that is a perfect solution for his HD needs (okay, he just wants to complete the sale, right?).

But then, my friend wanted me to talk to the rep and I was a little surprised at what he was saying...

He basically said that you can achieve lossless sound through optical cable. I corrected him by saying "only through 2.0, right?" He said "no, full surround". At this point, I had no idea what he was talking about as he started saying he was in HT for 8+ and salesman of the year and stuff like that.

I tried to explain that uncompressed surround can only be achieved through HDMI, and if using an optical, then you limit the sound to 2.0. He didn't beleive me and started patronizing me. At that point, my friend took his phone back and I just told him to stick to the original plan and pick up the PS3 and tv for now.

you can get 5.1 via optical, just not uncompressed

Depends on the player. Not all of them handle this like this, correct? The Tosh HD-DVD players downrezzed to DTS/DD5.1...but not all BD players handle it this way...I think some do end up 2.0/2.1 if you choose uncompressed PCM.

Depends on the player. Not all of them handle this like this, correct? The Tosh HD-DVD players downrezzed to DTS/DD5.1...but not all BD players handle it this way...I think some do end up 2.0/2.1 if you choose uncompressed PCM.

I never heard that it automatically downgrades to DD/DTS 5.1, but from personal experience, I know the PS3 can output to 2.0 via optical when choosing uncompressed.

It was just frustrating trying to explain it to him over the phone. The hard part is that the way he was talking wasn't as if he was unsure about what he was saying. he was talking as if he knew 100% without a doubt what he was saying was true.

Lol, Futureshop doesn't pay enough to have an "expert" on hand. Though, I must say that I'm rather disappointed on how HD surrounds have been handled. It is rather difficult to understand how everything works properly to begin with and then add obscure hardware limitations in to the mix...bah, the entire thing is a big fiddle f*$# that was rushed out the door if you ask me. I'm not surprised at all that this so called expert was incorrect and confused and its going to get much worse when Blu-ray takes off to mass market.

When the guy said "Full Surround" He probably had no idea what Uncompressed meant, and was thinking normal 5.1 through optical.

That could be. Or it could be what GreenMonkey was referring to in that it automatically downgrades to DD/DTS 5.1

One thing I forgot to mention is that he said HDMI only transferred video.

He even wanted to give me a demonstration in store. Maybe if I was closer, but I didn't think it was worth the cross 3 city drive to correct him in person.