LCVG

Guitar Hero IV, w/wireless drums

http://www.primotechnology.com/2008/05/12/first-guitar-hero-iv-details-shed/

A lot of hardcore gamers have a loyalty to "Harmonix" while casual gamers have a loyalty to the "Guitar Hero" brand. I could give a crap about either. i just follow what I think will be a good purchase for me.

So you may have heard Garnet on 1up praising GH4 on the recent podcast or seen the articles popping up and the game informer pics of the new drum kit.

Activision has fired the first shot and I have high hopes for their hardware being better than Rockband's (allegedly: Wireless everything (Microphone, Base, Drums, Guitar), less noisy drums, more durable drums).

Here's to competition.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the wireless instruments aren't preferred, they are required, given the setup of my home theater. And my wife has been saying she wants a karoke machine for a long time and I've been telling her "No, wait until I get a videogame like Rockband in the future" so buying eithe Rockband 2 or GH4 will save me from buying some awful karoke machine.

I'm skeptical. I really, really love what Harmonix did with Rock Band, and Guitar Hero 3 just annoyed me in a lot of ways. GH4 will have to make some hefty improvements to get my attention. Kick-ass new hardware on its own won't cut it.

I am interested to see what they do with the guitar controllers, though...

For me the wireless instruments aren't preferred, they are required, given the setup of my home theater. And my wife has been saying she wants a karoke machine for a long time and I've been telling her "No, wait until I get a videogame like Rockband in the future" so buying eithe Rockband 2 or GH4 will save me from buying some awful karoke machine.

Why don't you just get SingStar next week for the PS3? New songs every month to chose from off of the SingStore and you get to make dumb videos of yourself. :)

-Dean-

I'm skeptical. I really, really love what Harmonix did with Rock Band, and Guitar Hero 3 just annoyed me in a lot of ways. GH4 will have to make some hefty improvements to get my attention. Kick-ass new hardware on its own won't cut it.

I am interested to see what they do with the guitar controllers, though...

I agree. Rock Band is just insanely fun, where Guitar Hero 3 just became a chore. If the instruments are compatible with both games (and are better then the Rock Band ones) and they make some improvments to the game play, then I'll probably get it. If they aren't compatible (and by the look of the drums, they might not be) or if they don't make the game more "fun", then I'll probably skip it.

Hmmm, I like the look of the new drums but... Trading off one of the 4 main pads for 2 cymbal pads may/may not be a good thing. I'm also not convinced this set will be built any better than the current RockBand drums. I have played all the Guitar Heroes and Rock Band (obviously) so I'd say I'm pretty impartial as far as any of these developers or publishers and I simply like RockBand better: Its more fun IMO and I have a hard time going back to GH3 now...

To be honest though, I would definitely try these out at an in-store demo station if I saw them. It's all on Activision to convince me (us) this would be better than the current RockBand or a new Rock Band game/peripherals.

Also keep in mind that what they're showing is a 1-off; who knows if the end product will actually look like that. If they're going to sell GH4 as a kit like RB, it looks like the box is going to be even BIGGER if those drums ship the way they're looking right now.

Meh. I'm not interested in adding another drumset to my game room...
Says the guy who will probably accidentally break his Rockband drumset between now and the fall and purchase a replacement set when the wireless Rockband 2 hardware is released.

I can completely see how early adopters of Rockband wouldn't be so quick to buy the next Rockband or Guitar Hero game, since it is so expensive, and comes with accessories. I was interested in Rockband but held out for various reasons and would be perfectly happy to choose GH IV if it is the best choice for those who don't have a band game.

If they sell Gh4 in a bundle with just a guitar, I will probably get that (depending on what this new feature turns out to be). While I like the look of the new drums, I don't think I could convince my wife to be okay with a second set. Rock Band 2 - if they make it that way - will be a software only purchase for sure.

I just hope Neversoft improves their note charting. I found GH3 to be very hit and miss in that department. It seems like they would make things difficult just to do it, instead of charting the song to make sense. Some songs are just flat out bad with the charting. I would have no problem buying the bundle if they are going to do much better with DLC. I know the hardware will be rock solid since it is Red Octane.

-Dean-

I like some of the features they're taking about, but I really have no desire to buy another $180 game. If it supports the Rock Band instruments, then I'm in, but there's no way I'm buying another set of drums and another guitar. I don't want to spend the cash, and I don't want them taking up more space.

Considering the investment I've made in Rock Band (game, hardware, downloads), I'm not sure what GH4 could do that would make me buy it. I guess if the instruments were significantly better and they worked with Rock Band...

I'm not sure about DLC. I have purchased very little DLC. I think I bought Halo 2 stuff, but that's it. Exactly how much money on top of your $180 did you spend on Rockband? I ask to make fun of you and then to trivialize the value of DLC for me. I'm more of an outofthebox sort of guy.

I've got a total of 134 songs in Rock Band right now, which is 76 downloaded songs and I'm not really slowing down.

The drums do look nice, but I really don't think I need a 2nd plastic drumset in my house (this from someone who has 6 plastic guitars). I still play guitar way more than the drums and I just like Harmonix's philosophy of using the game as a platform whereas Activition seems happy with releasing new disc games twice a year. We'll see if they both stick to that I guess though.

Guitar Hero 3 also just did too many stupid things to make me sour on the series a bit. Overcharting, ugly characters, broken scoreboards, poor online, stupid boss battles, and a setlist which I initially thought was great, but soon realized had a lot of clunkers and the songs that I did like weren't all that fun to play.

Of course recording songs may be a really cool feature... but also something that Rock Band could add in.

I may buy the game only, as I don't think anything they add to the Guitar will be all that significant (looks like there's some extra buttons on website image) but I'll probably just rent it first. Oh how things have changed.