LCVG

Amped 2 videos

rustyjaw

Also posted in the Xbox forum

I took some video of the Mountain Previews (flyovers) in 720p and posted them. They are full-resolution (640x480), but reduced to 15fps. There are two files:

EDIT: The videos have been removed

hood.jpg

Mt. Hood - 8MB

Bear.jpg

Bear Mtn. - 10 MB

They are both MPEG 4, but you will probably need Quicktime to view them.

You might notice some cycling color shifting, I'm 99% sure that's the video camera's shutter interfering with the color-wheel on the projector. Very strange effect. The camera only does it when aimed at the projector screen.

There's also a good deal of interlacing in the video, but there's not much I can do at this filesize.

I don't understand the resistance to 720p by manufacturers? Is the required circuitry really that expensive?

Basically, 720p is drawing 720 lines every 1/60th of a second, while 1080i is only drawing 540 lines every 1/60th of a second. Because so many lines have to be drawn so quickly, 720p is more difficult to achieve, and therefore is more expensive. I'm not sure how much more expensive it is for the manufacturers, but a largely uninformed consumer base is my guess as to one of the major reason there's fewer 720p (non-scaling!) displays (especially in the RPTV arena). Not only is 720p a lot lesser known about format, but it also sounds like it's "less detailed" than 1080i (even though it's not). Since most people haven't heard of 720p, they don't feel compelled to look for sets that support it. Thus, manufacturers can just get away with selling sets that don't display it without fear of losing out to the relatively smaller amount of competition between sets that do support it, except to the small customer base of people for whom 720p is a crucial feature.

If you have friends who aren't "in" to HT stuff, but have a RP HDTV because "it's cool", ask them if their set supports 720p...and be prepared for big blank stares in return. :green:

Originally posted by Ryan FB@Nov 5 2003, 09:31 AM

If you have friends who aren't "in" to HT stuff, but have a RP HDTV because "it's cool", ask them if their set supports 720p...and be prepared for big blank stares in return. :green:

True, but I would say that's true for virtually everything HT. Ask them about the following, and you'll get the same response:

- What kind of cables are you running? Composite? Component?

- Are you running 5.1?

- Do you use a sub?

- Is your display calibrated?

True, but I would say that's true for virtually everything HT. Ask them about the following, and you'll get the same response:

- What kind of cables are you running? Composite? Component?

- Are you running 5.1?

- Do you use a sub?

- Is your display calibrated?

I'd say all but the last one they could answer. Maybe it's just my friends that are this way. :? ;)

I don't know about your friends, but mine would mostly answer "you should know, its the one you told me to buy and then set up!"

Oh believe me, I try, but it requires that they actually take your advice and apply it to their purchasing decisions, rather than going for whatever one that gives them the best inches/$ for under $x. :( I still go against what my conciensce tells me to do and set it up for them though. :green:

I didn't mean to engage in any kind of "HT snobbery" or anything like that, I just really think it's the truth that because 720p doesn't get pushed as a selling point with retailers, 720p support is usually harder to find. Most of the education people get on most electronics is had at the store, which is to be expected, because a lot of people have other things they would rather spend their time worrying about, reading up on, tinkering around with etc. than a TV to relax and watch movies on.

So, if 720p is harder to implement, more expensive and less popular with consumers, why is it that most HD games go the 720p route instead of 1080i?

Basically, 1080i has a faster scanning rate (left to right) because there are more picture elements/line. That is, 1920 horizontal pixels for 1080i, and 1280 for 720p. Even at 540 vertical lines per field for 1080i, this still makes it more taxing to render digitally because more pixels are being pushed (1280x720 = 921,600 pixels, 1920x540 = 1,036,800 pixels).