PS3 GTA IV 1.00mm

Wii Play 360K

Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl 326K

PS3 Gran Turismo 5: Prologue 224K

DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness 202K

DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time 202K

Wii Guitar Hero III 152K

360 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 141K

So, there's roughly a one thousand unit difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360 sales? Damn, that's close. I'm surprised those numbers are so low, to be honest. Historically, it's probably in line with what's expected for the month of April. However, you would think that the launch of a Grand Theft Auto game would move a bit more hardware.

That said, the most amazing thing to cull from those numbers is how insane demand for the Wii is. I mean, we all know it's crazy, but even at more than 700K units, it's still hard to find one on shelves. Seriously, at what point can Nintendo supply the market with enough units to make them available to someone who just wants to walk into a store and buy one?

BTW, those numbers do include the GTA special editions, just in case anyone asks.

I really expected more hardware to shift on the back of GTA, but I can see plenty of justifications for it not doing so. Economy, April not being a big 'gift giving' month, people who wanted it already had invested in the consoles at Christmas, etc etc. All feeble excuses but obvious ones :) It's a really crazy market.

Both PS3/360 system numbers are low. I'm actually a bit shocked Ps3 did not move more the last few months. Huge franchise that was pretty much PS3 exclusive came out, Blu-Ray won the HD format war, yet it still is slightly lower then the 360. This entire market is damn crazy

The PS3 actually had as many games in the top 10 as the Xbox. The PS3 and 360 are gonna be close as long as the PS2 is a viable option. No one is catching the Wii. Funny how when there is a big release, Nintendo manages to ship 300,000 more units. I can already hear the spin from MS and Sony.

The next generation may be the first generation that actually goes backwards. Who needs hi def when you can just dress up a Gamecube with a controller you waggle and make millions.

I firmly believe that the Wii and DS are going to be the only viable hardware option for quite some time in the States. The economy is in shambles and dropping $400 on a game system is just not in the cards right now.

Games represent an activity with minimal to no gas usage. People will spend more time at home rather going out. We see the state of the economy as a boon for the video game industry.

I firmly believe that the Wii and DS are going to be the only viable hardware option for quite some time in the States. The economy is in shambles and dropping $400 on a game system is just not in the cards right now.

-Dean-

Just to give everyone some historical perspective, here are the April 2007 NPD numbers for all the major gaming systems.

Nintendo DS 471k

Wii 360k

PlayStation 2 194k

PlayStation Portable 183k

Xbox 360 174k

PlayStation 3 82k

As you can see, the numbers from April this year aren't too far off from what they were a year ago.

Granted, there wasn't a big game like GTA IV to move systems last year, but it certainly looks like demand has remained consistant. The biggest difference obviously is the substantial rise in sales for both the PS3 and Wii.

That said, the most amazing thing to cull from those numbers is how insane demand for the Wii is. I mean, we all know it's crazy, but even at more than 700K units, it's still hard to find one on shelves. Seriously, at what point can Nintendo supply the market with enough units to make them available to someone who just wants to walk into a store and buy one?

My Best Buy usually has the front counter cabinet stocked with them (holds 48). The only time I remember it following empty was when Super Smash Bros was released. Even today on a Friday, the stock was there and out in the open. No telling how many they have in the backroom.

I saw a wii in the wild twice. Once at a BB in Jan, and then Target had a bunch a few weeks back.

One note about NPD's for GTA numbers. The NPD's only covered the first 3 days GTA came out. Didn't even include a weekend

I have come across Wii's a few times without even looking, most of the time it has been at Best Buy. Usually, it is followed by a mad scramble and a line at the register.

Funny thing, couple of weeks ago I went to CC to pick up Mario Kart, and they had one Wii left sitting on the counter behind the register for sale. Asked the clerk about it and he said it had been sitting there for awhile that day, no one even asking about it. Must be they thought it was some sort of hoax?

Having insight into the supply chain I can testify that Wii's are much easier to find now than at any other point in its lifespan. It's still hit-or-miss (especially from a shopper's perspective) but product flow has easily doubled.

Still see them in the wild once in a while.

BTW - on the discussion about Nintendo dominating the sales charts with its own games and how it is bad for the Wii...(I've heard this discussion on the software threads before).

I was flipping through some retro Nintendo Power / Gamepro magazines from the 8-bit/16-bit transition era (1994ish).

The NP mags had a top-50 list. In each of the top-50 lists the top games were all Nintendo games (for example: Mario 3, Zelda, etc). 3rd party games were way down the line in the teens and 20s.

Didn't seem to hurt them in the SNES era. ;)

Having insight into the supply chain I can testify that Wii's are much easier to find now than at any other point in its lifespan. It's still hit-or-miss (especially from a shopper's perspective) but product flow has easily doubled.

I concur. We've been getting 2-3 a week very steadily for the past couple months, before that we'd get 2-3 a month if we were lucky. We got 6 this week... still haven't sold them all.

The number of calls we get asking for them is quite a bit less than it used to be also.