LCVG

Gender Bending in MMORPG's...

Anthony G

I was watching Rise of the Videogame on the Science channel and the subject of this episode was the history of MMO's. I wasn't surprised to learn %80 who play them are males. What did surprise me was that they are 5 times more likely to create a female character than vice versa. What little I have played of RPG's and MMO's I have never even thought to create a female character. It's usually a male warrior type I pick. Just curious how many of you do create female characters and what factors go into your choice?

Edit: Found a nice read on it:

http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/gateway_genderbend.html

Well I did the trial version for WoW and I picked male wizards or assassins. As for non MMO's games that allow you to choice your gender....it's the same. Male. Always assassin or wizard unless I'm renting or borrowing the game and then I choice warrior.

So as a gay guy, I'm making male characters? What does that say?

I almost always have a male for my main - WoW, LOTRO, CoH/CoV, GW, Etc...Etc... But, I do usually have a female alt or two. Depends on the game I guess but, like in City of Heroes I had a female alt that I played regularly and some in WoW... Just not so much in LOTRO and others. Not sure why other than female characters seem to "fit" certain MMO environments better for me than others.

I play female characters about half the time. I don't put much thought into it. RPG characters in video games still often look so unreal to me that I gravitate towards whatever I find believable. With some races it's males, with others it's females. I always have something in mind for a character and often a certain race/sex combination just clicks with that idea.

My opinions and experience are a mirror of Joel's so much that it's scary :P.

I used to do predominantly female chars in MMOs since, yes, more interesting than manbutt all day as I run to and fro. CoH was particularly bad for that, I don't think I ever once made a male character with any seriousness and I was in an "all-female" supergroup at one point.

Then when my wife got into WoW I recreated as a Tauren druid (my current main) who was male to match with her. Now that she doesn't play any more, I'm still playing my druid, but it's the first male main I've had I think. Not sure why, although I do know part of it stems from the hilarious interactions you receive when people think you're female. Damn woman gamers have it rough.

So as a gay guy, I'm making male characters? What does that say?

I used to do predominantly female chars in MMOs since, yes, more interesting than manbutt all day as I run to and fro

Well Screwnut, based on what Joel and Mark posted. I guess it is safe to say you like to look at manbutt. :D

Well Screwnut, based on what Joel and Mark posted. I guess it is safe to say you like to look at manbutt. :D

Maybe.....but most of the games I play that involve gender have you looking through the characters eyes or it's overhead....so manbutt never comes into it for me.

I am pretty much split down the middle. Almost half of my MMO chars are male and half are female. Some of it has to do with the character type: casters are usually female, fighters are usually male, and thieves are evenly split. Some of it has to do with the race...female elves look better than male elves, male tauren look better than females, and usually human females look better than males.

I will say, though, that I have never created a female character that I didn't feel uncomfortable with at least once, as other gamers hit on her. I've had gamers tell me my character reminds them of their ex-girlfriend, I've had gamers give my characters expensive items (when my char is a n00b) because she is female, I've had people "stalk" my character and constantly /whisper her...nowadays just to avoid that kind of drama I usually just create males.

Apparently I've been playing these games wrong. I tend to look at the environment & enemies with the camera pivoted to look somewhat down on the action. I didn't realize I should have the camera pointing at my character's ass. Is it hard to navigate by looking through your character's legs? :P