LCVG

Anyone else growing Vegetables/Fruit this year?

JoeyN

My mom used to grow vegetables in our yard , up until a few years back. Always had a ton of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. I decided what the hell and am starting again this year. Except for Phil, the rest of us in the house are trying to loose weight so eating a lot of salad, etc. With the price of this stuff in stores, why not help save the family some extra cash in the long and grow our own stuff, not to mention the fresh grown stuff is the best. Over the weekend I planted two types of tomatoes, two types of peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, string beans, celery, Zucchini, and a little bit of basil . Haven't been able to find the lettuce I want, but that will be planted also. On the fruit side got a giant pot and planted strawberries, and also planted a few watermelon plants. A few people in the area have gotten them to grow here, so I am giving it a shot.

Wondering if anyone else is growing any of this stuff

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Girlfriend and I are growing herbs. No, not those kind of herbs. Oregano, thyme, cilantro, etc. Using them for pastas, especially pesto sauce. We're having a hard time keeping the basil alive because of the unexpected cold nights we've been getting. We have two basil plants and they're both dying. Everything else is flourishing.

Might plant vegetables this year - most likely cherry tomatoes and lettuce.

I was thinking about planting some basil as well because we use bushels of the stuff in the summer. I wish the climate in the Northeast was warm enough to support citrus trees as well, because we go through limes like mad between marinades and margaritas.

Was also thinking about a jalapeno, uh, bush? Whatever those hot fuckers grow on. I don't use too many of them but they are too expensive to buy singly and they always rot before I get to them if I buy more than a couple at a time.

My boyfriend has a vegetable garden. I never thought I'd get into gardening, but I've been learning for the last couple of years and it's great, a lot of work, but worth it. This year I planted Italian broccoli, red and yellow peppers and peas. There are also a few varieties of tomatoes, 2 kinds of beets and two artichoke plants.

There's a meyer lemon tree that is going crazy with fruit, I picked 20 lemons on Sunday. Over the last 3 months I've probably picked 80 lemons off the tree and there are a lot more. We also planted a blood orange tree this year, but it's only a few feet tall. There are also peach, apple, apricot, pluot, and persimmon trees...but so far no apples, and only a single apricot, however the pluot, and peach trees do well and the persimmon was heavy with fruit last fall.

Basil will go in soon, last year there were about 12 basil plants, I highly recommend it Dave, fresh basil is amazing. We might do corn again this year as well.

There are herbs in pots, thyme, marjoram, italian parsley, spearmint, rosemary and sage. Last year we had all kinds of lettuce, but I'd rather try spinach this year....might be too late.

This is my second year with the veggie garden. Last year was of course the killer as I had to dig up and till a large section of the back yard, remove the sod, fence it off to keep our dog out, take out the rocks and tree roots, etc. Lots and lots of time and sweat expended, I did it all manually, no machines. This year has been easier, just pulling the weeds and re-tilling a bit. I have heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, lots of hot peppers, some bell peppers, beans, and maybe some okra. Nothing is ready yet, but I'm trying. This is all still very much a learning experience.

So how do you guys know if your soil supports what you want to grow on it?

Around here we can pretty much grow all vegetables, and plantable fruits. Only a few types of fruit trees work around here. It all depends on the area really, and make sure the spot you want to plant in, gets sun most of the day. If you have a garden center near you I would ask them, as they should know what can grow local. We are lucky that we have a HUGE garden center called Hicks who has been around since the 1850's. Places like that usually have a few experts which can help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. The first few days were kind of rough. I planted, but then we had a ton of rain, but no sun. A few plants started to look bad. The strawberry plants were all down. However after that we have had a nice mix of sunshine and rain. Plus I'm on a regular watering schedule, and everything has popped up, sans 1 of the strawberry plants which I had to take out. Got the first 3 small tomatoes finally growing, and as I mentioned everything else has already doubled in size. Tomorrow I need to start tying them to stakes so they grow straight and not fall over.

• 3 weeks later...

First batch's are coming off the plants. Today a bunch of string beans, and a load of tomatoes should be ready for picking in the next few days. Everything else is on it's way as well. Some of these plants have grown to be pretty massive especially the Cucumbers.

I've been growing a garden for a few years, but this is my first in the new house. The soil really sucks and took a lot of prep.

I had tomatoes, various peppers (habanero, jalapeno, Anaheim, Asian chili, and a few others) and some zucchini. I've picked a few zucchini already, and the peppers are going like gangbusters, but when I went on vacation last week and took the dogs the f'in deer jumped the fence and ate the tomato plants. They don't eat the fruit, just the leaves and the stalks, so they leave you with a plant that's all but dead. I'll get a few fruit, but not many.

The growing season is long enough here that I'll probably put a few more tomato plants in next week, though. That will be just long enough to get a small crop in before the first frost hits in late October or November.

I've been eating radishes for about a week now and had two healthy trimmings of basil. The zucchini is growing like a weed. The tomatoes (heirlooms (Siberian and Green Zebra) and cherry (sweet 100)) are tall and well established but due to living in Wyoming they are still flowering out. My Thai bird peppers got buggy when they were in the walls of water so I'll be lucky to get a crop this year. My blueberry plants are producing fruit that should be ready to harvest within the next month or so.

We have a wide variety of herbs growing which always need to be pruned and cooked with by this time of the year. And my nugget hop plant will hopefully produce enough hops to allow me to brew a couple batches this year.

RustyJaw,

I am so jealous about the Meyer Lemons. When my wife and I lived in Tucson, there was a Meyer Lemon tree that overhung the alley a few blocks down and we would go harvest them. I miss the kumquats too.

We started a garden in our new house this year. I don't even know what all the wife planted out there but I know I've seen what looks like: basil, oregano, mint, pumpkins (for October), squash, tomatoes, garlic, onions, rhubarb, and green peppers. We put in a compost box for leftover food recycling, that thing has really done well. Amazing how much less trash you make if you're composting organic food waste and recycling plastics/glass/metals.

We also bought a half-share at a local organic farm. You pick up a basket of whatever is ready once a week, it's about all we can handle in a week. Salads every night and still not going through all those veggies.

Nice to be eating healthier than we have been. With little kids and babies it can be a challenge.

We have had about 7 or 8 fantastic strawberries so far. They taste so damn good off the plant. Two dinners worth of string beans, will have dozens of cherry tomatoes shortly, 4 giant cucumbers, etc. I'm really shocked how well everything has grown so quickly. Tomorrow I need to go to Hicks to pick up a few Trellis for the cucumber plants as they are growing at a crazy rate and need more space to climb. Also the Watermelon plant has really started to grow pretty big. Will be interesting to see if we get any.

I already started planning for next year. We already have more space empty, but I want to widen the garden so i can spread stuff out a bit more, plant some other stuff (onion, lettuce,garlic etc.). Get a much larger box for the strawberries, and use the current one for Basil. I have to say it's fun to do, and I never ever liked doing garden work

We also bought a half-share at a local organic farm. You pick up a basket of whatever is ready once a week, it's about all we can handle in a week. Salads every night and still not going through all those veggies.

This is something we'd been planning to do; it's quite trendy here in San Francisco, surprise, surprise. Of course, our recent plans have put a dampener on that idea. From what I've seen, these organic 'shares' are fantastic value for money. They're not cheap, but you should be getting fantastic produce that's incredibly fresh. Jealous!

Some Pictures I took today.

First Up the Giant Cucumber Plants

2620738455_a01061f38a.jpg

And the first Two Cumbers off the plants picked this morning, with a few fresh strawberries

2621563490_901abd64eb.jpg

A few of the bigger Tomatoes. Everything is growing more inside the plants at the moment

2620740813_d6069c340b.jpg

Cherry Tomato Plant

2620740525_33d3ebe381.jpg

Frying Peppers at the top, Eggplant in the Middle, and Yellow Bell's on the Bottom

2620740161_fc7f03f4a2.jpg

Strawberries

2621562178_05b33f5a53.jpg

Celery at top, Stringbeans at Bottom

2621561728_6b666f3b1a.jpg

Watermelon Starting to spread

2621561202_89e5c7927d.jpg

Zuccini

2620737983_e984ea6c27.jpg

Nice looking plants Joey! How early did you plant them? We just got our first tomato showing, but it's about the size of a marble right now.

Has anyone tried using a rain barrel for watering? My mother in law had an extra 45-ish gallon plastic barrel and I'm going to adapt it to catch the rain coming off the garage roof and then use the water to water the plants. A DIY version of one of these:

http://www.rainbarrelguide.com/