LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
foogledricks

Best games for kids

My daughter is now a gamer! She really likes the Dora game I downloaded a few weeks ago and she is really good at it. It was $20 which I thought was a little steep, and I still do a little bit, but it is pretty well done. I'd give it an 87% if I were a critic of kids games.

She's 3 1/2 so certain games work while others do not. For example, Wii bowling is too complicated for her. But all the point and click computer games are completely doable. If timing is important, she has a hard time. But if she can do it at her own pace, she's fine.

So far the XBLA games have been disappointing. Like the Sponge Bob game was just a traditional platformer with spongbob characters. I thought it was actually going to be engineered for kids.

Any suggestions?

One of my son's early favorites was Mario Party 8. You can select the "simple" set of games and set the computer A.I. to "Easy", and I'll bet your daughter would be able to do several of the mini-games, like shaking a soda can or cranking up a flag. You can also play on her "team", and thereby help her win against the CPU team.

It's not a great game for adults, IMO, but when my son was younger he was able to play and beat the computer in several of the mini-games and that was enough for him.

Another early favorite for him was the cow-racing game in Wii Play, but the other mini-games on that terrible, terrible disc were too hard or boring for him. If you bought it for the extra controller and you have it gathering dust on a shelf, though, you may want to try her hand at the cow-racing title.

We turned my friends 3 1/2 into a gamer. He plays Viva Pinata party animals, Lego star wars 1/2, pacman:CE and a few others

Old school games can really be a charm here. Try out some of the retro titles on XBLA or look into finding some of the "Putt-putt" games used for the PC. Also, there are lots of very simple online flash games that kids can enjoy, maybe do a google search for "kids flash games" and see what you get?

Pac-Man, forgot about that. Don't remember if there was an easy mode for that game. I don't consider that game easy. Thought it isn't that hard at first.

Just because Pacman isn't easy does not mean its not fun. My friends son looses all the time, but still plays it. I forgot to mention he also plays transformers the movie

Assault Heroes is an excellent game to play with your kids. The dual analog sticks can be used to drive and fire, and since it is a coop game, you can "protect" them from danger, keep them alive, and you actually share lives with your partner.

My daughter really likes this game, she is 3.7 years old.

Resurrecting this thread from the grave. 

My daughter is 3 1/2 and interested in playing games with her dad. We play flash games on the computer, but I usually have to drive because she hasn’t had enough exposure to a mouse. She’s pretty good with touch screens, but we are trying to limit her exposure to phones and tablets as game and video devices. 

What I’m looking for a a good console game where she can pick up the controller and run around and hit buttons with me and not really have to worry about dying or falling off a cliff. She’s not great with a controller yet, but I think she’ll pick it up pretty quick with the right game. 

We’ve tried Disney Infinity, and it’s been ok. She loves putting the figures on the deck and can move around a bit. The Toy Box just gets a bit boring because I didn’t download any levels before they shut it off and I’m haven’t taken the time to learn anything myself. 

Any suggestions for a game like this, or anything else you may think of, new or old would be welcome

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Resurrecting this thread from the grave. 

And here I was thinking that Keith had had another kid!

My 7 year-old has been getting more and more into games. What I’ve noticed is that when he plays, he’s not so worried about beating a level or “finishing” a game. He’s just stoked to be playing anything at all. It’s something fun to do. As as a result, the games he seems to like the most are the ones where he can just dink around and not have to worry about completing any quests or beating any opponents, live or CPU.

Minecraft on Creative mode is one such game. He can just explore and build thing without any fear of being killed. Sometimes we’ll even play together with him on the Xbox and me on my iPad and horse around. 

Another game he really likes is Forza Horizon 4. He’s a bit of a gear head to begin with, but he also loves the fact that he can drive around anywhere on the map and not have to worry about races. He can crash into anything he wants, do crazy jumps and stunts for fun.

Also, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is great because you can turn on auto-accelerate and auto-steering to help the little ones along. They still have some control over the game, but those options make it so much easier — and fun! — for them because they’re not constantly falling off the road all the time. Pro Tip: if you play this multiplayer with your kids, select the Vs. Mode and do team races on the same team. That way you can work together to earn points, and the little ones are not upset if daddy keeps winning the races. 

EDIT: one more option — Super Mario Odyssey in Assist Mode. This one my be a bit more advanced due to the fact that you have to navigate a 3D space and control the camera, but the assist mode does help make things a bit easier overall. 

One older game suggestion that kids love, it's super easy to play and very flexible is a Xbox 360 game,  Kinect Party. If you happen to have an 360 and a dusty kinect camera laying around, buy this game!  It requires no controllers to play (other than the initial game launch), it requires no gaming skills, many people can play, and anyone can jump in and out without disrupting the game at all.  It's great because kids get exercise bouncing around playing and being silly rather than sitting on their butts with most other games.  This is a great game to throw on whenever people (kids)  come over,  they can all easily play and be entertained for a long time.

Edit: Kinect Party is the only game my kids go back to the on the 360, and they do fairly regularly.  Or friends who've played with us ask to play again when the come to visit again.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dogbert said:

We have a Kinect still hooked up to a 360 purely for Kinect Party. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3577019

• WTF 1

10 hours ago, Romier S said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3577019

Keep in mind this thread is titled, “Best games for kids,” not “Best games for middle-aged Mexicans.”

• Haha 2
  • Epic Post 2

Unfortunately I don’t have a Kinect to try Kinect Party. 

I did try Just Dance with the PS4 Camera,  but couldn’t get it working with her. Was able to play with the Moves, and that went OK. That game is HARD though. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

There’s that Disneyland game on PC and XB1 which is very cute, but you’ve played that one already haven’t you?

I have played it a little bit on XB1. It might be ok if she happens to run into Mickey, but my initial impressions of that game were not great. 

I downloaded a Pixar game that is on Gamepass that looks similar. Will see how that might be. 

Gonna try a Lego game, and it sounds like Mario Kart with the assists on could be a good option. The single Joycon for her could be ideal and she’s already somewhat familiar with the Mario characters. 

I would say the LEGO games are as good as you can get for video gaming introductions. Especially for kids as long as you can find one with characters she likes. 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

I did try Just Dance with the PS4 Camera,  but couldn’t get it working with her. Was able to play with the Moves, and that went OK. That game is HARD though. 

I have played it a little bit on XB1. It might be ok if she happens to run into Mickey, but my initial impressions of that game were not great. 

The mini games are extraordinarily simplistic, but it does fit the bill of something where there’s no real punishment for getting things wrong. The rest is just running around DL getting character autographs and taking photos.

I want to suggest Spyro and/or Yoshi’s Crafted World but for a 3 1/2 year old there’s probably still too much to wrap their head around.

23 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

The mini games are extraordinarily simplistic, but it does fit the bill of something where there’s no real punishment for getting things wrong. The rest is just running around DL getting character autographs and taking photos.

I almost want to shield this from her until we actually go to Disneyland. She’s vaguely aware of it and has seen pictures from a WDW trip before she was born, but I don’t want her first reaction to be “it’s like in that game”. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Someone must have one laying around picking up dust,  someone send this guy a kinect. 🙂

I probably have one buried in a closet. I should hook that up for Sophia to play. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JFo said:

Keep in mind this thread is titled, “Best games for kids,” not “Best games for middle-aged Mexicans.”

tenor.gif?itemid=11949308

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Any of the Lego games should be a good start, but bear in mind that you have to beat a bunch of stuff in story mode before you can really unlock all the characters and mess around in the sandbox.  We've played a bunch of them co-op though (the Marvel ones are really good), and my son has gone back to them pretty often just to mess around and redo levels in free play.  He also managed to beat all of Mario Odyssey on assist mode, which is a great balance between actually having to play the game, and giving kids an extra hand. 

Of course, now he's obsessed with Fortnite, which he plays like a sandbox as well.