LCVG

Must have PSP titles?

Jeff W

I was in Gamestop today picking up a Crimson DS, case, and Touch Magic game for my mother for her birthday (she played it at someones house and fell in love with it), while there on a whim I reserved and paid for the God of War PSP pack (based solely on that sweet red PSP). I've had a PSP in the past and got rid of it because none of the games I really wanted to play controlled "right" because of the one thumbstick, it's been awhile since then, any newer games that are must haves or shooters that seem to have solved the control issue? I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just cancel that reserve and get myself a Cobalt DS instead.

The SOCOM games are good as are the Syphon Filter games. Patapon is a must have and I am enjoying Echochrome. The new Wipeout is supposed to be real good.

Personally, if I had to chose between the two handhelds, I would go with the DS. The Cobalt one is indeed sweet.

The DS just has so many more good games. And a lot of the multiplayer games can be played with one cart. Zelda, New Super Mario Bros., WarioWare, World Ends With You, Mario Party DS, Prof. Layton, CrossworDS, Pokemon series, Planet Puzzle League, NInja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, Mario Hoops, Cooking Mama 1 and 2, Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart DS (the best Mario Kart). I can go on and on about the DS. :)

I have purchased 2 white, 1 crimson, 1 pink, 1 cobalt, and 1 zelda DS. Me and the family kind of like the DS if you can't tell. ;)

-Dean-

I had an Onyx DS, sold it and regretted it. For the same $$ I put on the PSP I could get the DS, the same case I got my mother (really nice Nerf one), and a game or two.

I find it odd that the PSP God of War pack comes with a code for a free DL of the Syphon Filter game but no card to store it on :confused:

That FF game, is that real time combat? I thought I read somewhere it was, I can't stand turn based.

It's definitely not turn based. And you can't pause the action to cycle through your options like KotOR. You have a series of actions at your disposal on the bottom right of your screen. You scroll through them with the shoulder buttons, but take too long in choosing and you'll die. That's about it. You have evade and guard at your disposal. I pretty much attack and evade in every battle, with the occasional cure or status healing thrown in.

If I had to choose between a DS or PSP I'm afraid even I would go for the DS first. I love my PSP but, as far as portables go the DS simply has more games, a better variety of games to offer, better battery life (in general) and the DS Lite has the better backlit screen IMO. The PSP is a great little system though and it makes a solid media player too so its not like either is a *bad* choice.

My recomendation is: Go for the DS first if games are your priority. Go for the PSP first if a mix of games and media is your priority.

:)

If I had to choose between a DS or PSP I'm afraid even I would go for the DS first. I love my PSP but, as far as portables go the DS simply has more games, a better variety of games to offer, better battery life (in general) and the DS Lite has the better backlit screen IMO. The PSP is a great little system though and it makes a solid media player too so its not like either is a *bad* choice.

My recomendation is: Go for the DS first if games are your priority. Go for the PSP first if a mix of games and media is your priority.

:)

I think that's going to be the sum of opinions here.

I only picked up the PSP to hack it and run some homebrew stuff, PS1 games on the go, etc. I do have FF Tactics though now for it, and sold my PS1 copy for a net profit.

There's a lot of great games for the DS if that is what you're looking for.

Thanks guys, kind of confirms my second thoughts that I should just go with another DS and stop looking at pics of that damned sexy red PSP. Now I've got to work up the strength required to try and make them understand exactly what it is I want to do (cancel PSP reserve and spend the "store credit")at gamestop.

I had a DS fat, traded it in on a DS lite, then eventually sold it. Had a PSP as well and sold that, right now in the house there's 1 DS (mother's), and 2 PSPS's (brother and father). I'm still undecided and sure I'll go back and forth a few times, I'll wait till the PSP is in and then make a decision that day most likely.

Its a back and forth decision... Every once in awhile I pick up a PSP because a game comes out I really want to play... Then nothing comes out for awhile and I sell it.. I've done this twice already.. So who knows... Already Have Diana's and My DS's.. Plus The PSP I bought Joey.

I prefer the PSP games individually to a comparable DS game but, the DS just has more games and a better variety. As fish said though, the PSP is great with homebrew and media as well as PSP games so its the better all-around device and I can't imagine being without one... Of course the DS is the better portable gaming system IMO (variety, more jump-in/jump-out play, battery life) and I can't imagine being without one :)

Does that help?! ;) Heheh regardless - we're lucky as the problem here is that there are 2 good portable devices to choose from so: Don't choose between the 2; For the price of a new DS Lite and a game or the PSP Slim you can probably find an old DS Phat (used) and an old PSP Phat (used) and get both :D