LCVG

Netflix launches set-top box

Starhawk

Beginning today, customers can purchase the box from a small company called Roku, known for its SoundBridge digital radio, for $99.99. The Roku box is about the size of a paperback book, has no hard drive, and simply streams video through an ethernet or Wi-Fi connection. For the best possible viewing experience, Netflix recommends an Internet speed of at least 1.5 Mbps.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006985.html

I will be buying one unless reviews are absolutely terrible. Looking forward to what they offer in HD (when they update the boxes).

Damn this looks like a great deal. Excellent way to watch those old classics I have in my queue and also finally watching some of these tv series I never bother adding to my queue. I'll be getting one for sure.

Edit: Looks like I'll wait until they update it for HD streaming with 5.1 sound.

It is more about the clutter of adding another box and remote to my setup, I think.

True but that thing looks pretty tiny and will surely fit on my HT equipment rack. Actually I need to unload my HD-DVD 360 addon so the netflix box will fit perfectly right where it is. :) Another controller is what bothers me the most. I really need to get one of those harmony remotes soon.

I like this little box but, the same functionality is also supposedly coming to the Xbox 360 and PS3 so I think I'll wait and see how all of that "shakes out"...

Netflix have put out surveys asking about interest for their service on the PS3 & 360, but I don't believe they've made any claims or hints bar that about it coming to either console... Frankly, just as the BBC found out, free streaming TV goes against the aims of both console - selling you stuff.

Fair enough... I would agree that its seeming less and less likely that they will have a streaming player for 360 or PS3 but, I'll wait it out and see. Fortunately, I can wait and see what other Netflix setttops come out in the coming months, wether console add-ons or separate boxes. Regardless, for the money I think this little Roku is a pretty solid offering.

• 1 month later...

Anyone try this?

Turn Your Xbox 360 into a Streaming Netflix Player

http://lifehacker.com/396881/turn-your-xbox-360-into-a-streaming-netflix-player

Netflix subscribers, if you've got an Xbox 360 and a Windows Vista PC, you don't have to shell out $99 for Roku's Netflix Player box to get your Watch Instantly library on your TV screen—you already have everything you need. Using the free Windows Media Center plug-in, vmcNetflix, you can turn your Xbox 360 into a Netflix Watch Instantly box. Here's how.

• 1 year later...