LCVG

Grid (360, Ps3, Pc)

Covak

IGN's review is up: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/876/876208p1.html

Ships Tuesday, June 3rd.

Sounds great to me :) I can't get enough of that San Francisco track in the demo. And I'm looking forward to trying to progress with Pro Mode enabled. Pro Mode doesn't just disable the rewind ability for more reputation (as I first thought, anyway), it disables restarting, too. So unless you're gonna cheat by turning off your system before it saves, once you start a Pro Mode race you're committed (and if you wreck you're gonna lose reputation and money). I've always been a restart abuser in racing games, so I love that option. I've been using it in the demo and even without any reputation or money on the line, it really ups the intensity for me and gets me racing clean without taking any crazy risks. I also like to lock to the awesome in-car view and don't like a cracked windshield :)

I tried the PC demo and the sound was pretty messed up for me (lots of nasty clipping, no matter what settings I used), so it's definitely the 360 version for me. It probably would be, regardless, for LIVE play. Online demolition derbies, mmmmm :) It also just plain looks fantastic on the 360, and even at a measly 30 FPS (which I always bitch about) it feels great.

I'm really looking forward to this one :D

This is one game where the demo sold me. I have been playing it most every chance I get on both systems. 360 version for me though. I thought it looked slightly better and I prefer the 360 controller for racing games.

Well I finally tried the demo last night, and was shocked to find "Graeme" listed as one of the names that the engineer will call you... spelled right even. That might be worth buying just for that.

The two races in the game were fun, and I really liked Pro Race Driver 2 and really only stopped playing it when I did cause my Xbox always got DDEs with it.

I hate hate hate hate drift racing though. Do people actually enjoy that? Can't we keep it confined to their own games? They were my least favorite thing in all the current NFS games and this seems just as bad.

I'll probably give it a rent to see if I really like it.

I hate hate hate hate drift racing though. Do people actually enjoy that? Can't we keep it confined to their own games? They were my least favorite thing in all the current NFS games and this seems just as bad.

I don't mind it, but I'm terrible at it and it may annoy me in the full game if I have to do all kinds of drift events to progress...

• 2 weeks later...

Bought. Can't wait to get home :)

I'm afraid the demolition derby may not be what I hoped. The only thing I saw about it in the manual said something like "Be the first one across the line. No rules." I'm not sure how that'll be different from the regular races in this game ;)

Well I finally tried the demo last night, and was shocked to find "Graeme" listed as one of the names that the engineer will call you... spelled right even. That might be worth buying just for that.

I was shocked to find "Iain" in there as well, rather than the usual English spelling. I wonder if Codies just grabbed all the names off their racing games mailing list that I subscribe to?

I tried the demo and loved it. I'm more into arcade-style racing (though not as extreme as Burnout Paradise (which I own but haven't put a whole lot of time into)) and have been waiting for something to play since PGR4. I must say, with PGR now being out of the hands of Bizzare, I'm hoping GRID sells enough to become a franchise. I've only had time for a few races (outside of playing the demo maybe 10 times) and can't wait to play FAR FAR FAR into it.

I did record this because I couldn't believe after it, my car was still driveable, but it was :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ9DNVJ1Cjg

I did record this because I couldn't believe after it, my car was still driveable, but it was :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ9DNVJ1Cjg

Lol, nice :) That'll help towards the "Roll your car 20 times" achievement :)

I played for a couple of hours and love the full game as much as I'd hoped. Sweet, brutal, beautiful racing action.

One big complaint, though. The radio calls got annoying quickly so I turned speech off, but that also turns off the informative speeches whenever you unlock something new. The camera just swings around for 10 - 20 seconds while a voice should be explaining something. Really, really crappy. But there's no way I'm listening to those radio calls any more.

This is easily the best arcade racer ever in my books. Simply fantastic racing action.

I love having a teammate. It's fun having someone else racing around in the same car as you (with the same decal/color scheme), knowing you get their winnings, too. And the winning team of an event gets a juicy cash bonus.

And I love the 24 Hours of Le Mans to finish each season (it goes by in 12 minutes with a full day/night cycle). I like the long track it's on (~3 minute laps), and I love how a pack of cars looks tearing down those insane straights at night. It feels especially cool when you hire a teammate who does about as well as you do. Tearing around that long track together feels almost epic :)

I'm pretty annoyed about one thing, though: you can't just race any car on any track. You're limited to picking from the existing event types and whatever track and car combinations they offer. Kinda sucks when you're playing a private multiplayer game. There's also some odd 10 second countdown after you all return to lobby before the host can change the settings again. I have no idea what that's for. And once the host picks the settings they're locked in until you race the event, which sucks because you can't always be sure which cars will be available with which event until you pick it and see (especially at first when you don't know what's what). And the demolition derby isn't really a demolition derby :(

You don't ever need to do drift events :tu Unless you're going for those "do everything" achievements, of course.

• 4 weeks later...
Have either one you had the freezing, stuttering problems I have seen people complaining about with the 360 version?

Yes. However, my friend has an XBox Elite and runs it on an HD television with no hiccups. I have an older XBOX running on a normal television and I get stuttering and freezing problems. :(

Yes. However, my friend has an XBox Elite and runs it on an HD television with no hiccups. I have an older XBOX running on a normal television and I get stuttering and freezing problems. :(

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=13047

That patch was supposedly going to be out of certification about a week ago, but I guess MS found a problem because it still isn't out :/

I wouldn't have a memory card to try the workaround, anyway, heh.

EDIT: Ah, the last official update:

With the EU release of the PS3 patch, a bug has come to light that didn't arise in testing, causing characters to go missing from the front end.

This bug needs naturally to be fixed, and the Development team have fixed the issue in code. However, this will delay the release of the console patches.

We anticipate the delay to be between 5 and 10 days, depending on the QA and submission process.

We can only apologise again for the problem, and the ongoing inconvenience and delay.

*update - 23/6/08* The SCEE and SCEA patches are now in submission and the Xbox one will be sent today.

• 10 months later...
I read the review as well (for the 360) and it really sounds great. Still haven't put the time I would like into PGR4 and Forza 2 so I will be waiting down the road for this one (aka price drop).

Quoting myself here, but Grid finally went down to $29.99 at Best Buy. Sure took it's time.

Wow, this game is an absolute blast. The real-time damage is unreal. Forget trying to just win the race, you have to survive the race. The graphics are gorgeous and the controls are fantastic. To me it feels like an arcade racer with a little sim. I would love to try Dirt but the price is still to high. Codemasters did a great job with this game.