LCVG

When we Left Earth

Carlucci

I am really excited for this upcoming series, highlighting NASA's best missions.

It will air on the Discovery Channel as a six-hour special on consecutive Sundays, June 8, 15, and 27.

The series includes some never-before-seen film culled from 500 hours of footage plucked from NASA's archives and carefully restored for broadcast in high definition (HD).

The blu-ray set is already available for pre-order at:

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-71602.html

Carlos.

I hope it is good. It's a breath of fresh air because channels like Discovery & The History Channel have been airing nothing but pop crap recently. Discovery with multiple series' focused on some harsh job (tree cutters or whatever) and History Channel for suddenly turning into the paranormal channel. I guess the History Channel is the bigger offender as virtually nothing they air has anything to do with 'history' and everything to do with cheap ratings for people who don't want to think.

I guess the History Channel is the bigger offender as virtually nothing they air has anything to do with 'history' and everything to do with cheap ratings for people who don't want to think.

Actually History Channels recent Battle 360 about the Carrier Enterprise during WWII was good. Watched it this past week.

Actually History Channels recent Battle 360 about the Carrier Enterprise during WWII was good. Watched it this past week.

Well just wait. Next month they will air Battle 360 where the Enterprise searches for the lost city of Atlantis.

I liked what I saw of Battle 360 but just like it's Dogfights counterpart it's 30 minutes of content rolled into an hour long program. They edit for people with no attention span by constantly repeating the set-up of each scenario. Come back from a commercial break and you get a 5 minute review of everything they discussed before the break. I swear, the series is edited by ad executives -not documentary film makers.

it's 30 minutes of content rolled into an hour long program

I didn't find that at all, and I watched all 10 parts in a few days. Yes every once and a while when they came back from commercial they did a quick summary, but not 5 minutes worth. More like 30 seconds.

Yeah, we get it, you hate the History channel. Try not to think too much less of us.

I didn't think of it like that. You're right though, you guys are the real problem here. If you would just agree with me I could relax.

Nope. I just tuned into the "History" channel...Monsterquest. I suppose everyone else loves that one too? Reading the tabloids too much work? ;)

I can't get enough of what I'm seeing on History, Nat Geo HD, Science Channel HD, Discovery, Discovery HD theater, etc. I'm good with the dangerous jobs stuff like Ice Road Truckers. It's pretty compelling.

I look forward to this set of nasa episodes.

I like UFO Hunters, as it is very interesting stuff

The only thing I find interesting is how they delude themselves that they are actually practicing scientific method. I remember seeing one about "Jet fighter encounters with UFO's". They listened to crack eyewitness testimony (strike one!) of the impossible maneuvers the UFO's made but they knew they had to put it to a test. So, they rented some planes and determined that yes, you really cannot do a perfect 90 degree turn at high speed in an an airplane. And and airplane can't really accelerate vertically as fast as some UFO. Money well spent right there.

I'm not sure what that groundbreaking work proved but it sure was hysterical. Viewed as a comedy these shows are gold. The shows about the ghost hunters are light years beyond this level of comedy though. They could use some new material.

I loved the History Channel 2 years ago...but it isn't the same channel any more. The best I get from them is the occasional Band of Brothers marathon. It sucks too, because this is the only kind of programming I can really watch.

...So, they rented some planes and determined that yes, you really cannot do a perfect 90 degree turn at high speed in an an airplane. And and airplane can't really accelerate vertically as fast as some UFO. Money well spent right there.

I'm not sure what that groundbreaking work proved but it sure was hysterical. Viewed as a comedy these shows are gold. ....

I am going to watch an episode just on those words alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Recorded tonights episodes on DVR. I watched the first hour of "Friends and Rivals" and so far its as good as I hoped it would be. Fascinating stuff.

I loves me some Discovery in HD. I recently watched "The Alaska Experiement" series and it was really good as well. I'm glad Comcast recently made the main Discovery channel available in HD because I was getting tired of the recycled programming made available on Discovery HD Theater.

I've got it on DVR. I'll watch it this week. As for the History Channel, I like the MonsterQuest type stuff - I love the paranormal (though I'm not a believer) but I agree they've gotten into way too much fluff. The worst offenders for me are those Hollywood tie-in programs. The first couple of History vs. Hollywood shows were fairly serious discussions but they've devolved into pure nonsense and spawned a whole host of extended adverts passed off as programs.

I watched it last night, and it was beautiful, but seemed a little off in the pacing. They tried too hard to be dramatic leading in to commercials, but I suppose someone with absoluetly no knowledge of the space program would have been on the edge of their seat.

The soundtrack seemed really good too. I'd like to have a few of those tracks.

Carlos.

You aren't alone, Camp. History Channel has some nice stuff from time to time, but on the whole I don't like the "edutainment" slant. More edu and less tainment, please.

You might find this article of interest:

http://chronicle.com/free/v54/i38/38b00601.htm

:tu

I agree there is some trash on the network these days. And I couldn't stand the HD version of the channel - stretchified SD.

But that crap like MonsterQuest and UFO files doesn't belong on a channel dedicated to history. It's either outright fantasy or junk science.

But hey, every channel has its trash. That stuff is still better than when they had wrestling on Sci-Fi, or which person gets the most votes to be America's Top Model or Chef or Idol or whatever.

Our new channel lineup doesn't have any HDs except locals any more. The only 2 channels I miss are HDNet and Discovery HD. :(