LCVG

Getting a PS3 finally - need recommendations

Title says it all. Now that the format war is over, it's time to go BluRay so my 46XF550 has a chance to be fully utilized.

I'm probably going with the 40Gig model, and won't really have a need for a second controller right away. I'll most likely pick up GTA IV with the hardware. I have some questions though..

1. What is the difference between the six axis and the dual shock controller?

2. Do I need the BD remote in order to play movies, or can they be controlled by the six axis controller that comes with the machine?

3. Are these machines in stock just about everywhere, or is it going to be like when I got my Wii?

4. Any other recommendations? Think I'd like to pick up the Planet Earth series on BD, or some other type of eye candy.

5. Does the machine come with a HDMI cable, or what else is packed in with the machine?

6. Will the PS3 hook up on line with my Nintendo WIFI USB adapter? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

7. How cool is Resistance: Fall of Man? Any other must-have's? I prefer 3rd person type games.

Thank you all!

What makes the PS3's BD player superior to other stand-alone BD players?

As an aside, and to apease those 360 owners out there, it seams my allegence to consoles has varied through-out the years:

Atari 2600

Commodore 128

NES

Sega Genesis

Panasonic 3DO

Playstation on 9-9-95 (launch)

XBox, then the PS2 a year and a half later due to GTA3

Wii

Nintendo DS

and now, the PS3 in about a week or two.

Regular firmware updates that keep it ahead of the game.

7. How cool is Resistance: Fall of Man? Any other must-have's? I prefer 3rd person type games.

Resistance is one of the best FPS games on any system...not just PS3. I'd recommend Uncharted & Ratchet and Clank for your 3rd person enjoyment.

* * Dual Shock has rumble, the regular SixAxis does not

2. Do I need the BD remote in order to play movies, or can they be controlled by the six axis controller that comes with the machine?

* * Nope, but it is much easier to use than the controller

3. Are these machines in stock just about everywhere, or is it going to be like when I got my Wii?

* * PS3 are easy to come by. If I were you, I would wait until June 13th and get the MGS4 bundle. For $100 more, you will get a Dual Shock, a copy of MGS4, and the 80gig PS3 which is backwards compatible with a lot of PS2 titles

4. Any other recommendations? Think I'd like to pick up the Planet Earth series on BD, or some other type of eye candy.

* * THere are tons of great Blu's available, just pick up moviesthat you like. As far as eye-candy goes, the Pixar discs are phenomenal.

5. Does the machine come with a HDMI cable, or what else is packed in with the machine?

* * You will have to buy an HDMI cable.

6. Will the PS3 hook up on line with my Nintendo WIFI USB adapter? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

* * Do you not have a Wireless access point in the house? The PS3 has built in Wi-Fi and an Ethernet port.

* * Resistance is a very good game. If you haven't played Call of Duty 4 yet, I would get that instead. It is by far the best shooter on the market right now and it is just a better game overall (Single and multi). GTAIV is a must have. MGS4 in a couple of weeks (that is 3rd person). Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank are no brainers. If you like racing games, you have GT5 Prologue and Burnout Paradise.

-Dean-

Hey Scott - good choice:)

The Dual Shock includes Rumble support along with the motion controls on the SIXAXIS controller (SIXAXIS does not include Rumble).

The BD portion of the PS3 can be controlled via the joystick. I'd highly recommend the BD remote or get one of the available Bluetooth to IR converters that will allow you to use a regular HT remote like a Logitech etc.

PS3's are regularly available at most retail outlets. The 40GB at least. It's important to remember that the 40GB model does not include backwards compatibility with PS2 titles (only PSX titles). So if that's important to you, you will need to seek out the 80GB, 60GB, or 20GB models (the 60GB or 20GB are preferable as they feature the full hardware BC solution).

I'd recommend taking a look at the huge HD/BD threads in the Home Theater/Entertainment area Scott. There's a ton of fantastic discs on BD and you'll find a load of reviews and information in those threads (there's a BD thread stickied there right now in fact).

It does not. It only includes a regular composite cable (stupid, I know). However, you can get a cheap and quality HDMI cable at http://www.monoprice.com for less than 7 bucks. With the PS3 you'll receive the console, the power cord, a SIXAXIS controller and the composite cable.

The PS3 has a built-in wireless adapter. If you've got wireless router/bridge you can connect right to that device with no issue. If you mean the Nintendo USB device that foregoes the need for a wireless router, I'm honestly not sure but I would imagine that's only going to work with the Wii.

I'll second Camp's commentary on Resistance. It's a fantastic shooter. Well worth getting. Uncharted it excellent as is Ratchet and Clank as Camp mentioned. They should provide a great third person action fix. Heavenly Sword at a good price is worth it also as its a good action/adventure game. There's a load of PSN titles worth looking at as well! (Super Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter, Pain, Warhawk...).

As Camp mentions, the ability to be firmware upgraded to support the latest and greated BD additions is a huge advantage and one of the reasons it's considered one of the strongest players on the market.

As an aside, and to apease those 360 owners out there, it seams my allegence to consoles has varied through-out the years:

No need. There are many multiconsole owners here with no such allegiances.:)

Great info. This is why I've loved following you guys since the early days over at HTF.

I thought that the 20 and 80 Gig consoles did a poor job of playing the PS1 and PS2 games? Almost like they were emulated? Hence the big search for existing 60 Gig consoles? Did I hear wrong?

How are the controllers charged up again? I heard it was through the USB ports on the console? Does the console come with a USB cord in order to do this?

I should be able to use my Harmony 880 to control the BD player a bit more effectively than the dual shock, correct?

PSN titles.... Is that like WiiWare titles?

I've got to get a wireless router........

And thank you very much for mentioning the MSG4 bundle!

The 20 gig has the same hardware emulation as the 60gb... it does not have wifi though, which is why I purchased the 60. If wifi does not matter to you though, it is easy to upgrade the hard drive with a notebook drive for the added space.

I really do suggest getting the 60 if you play a lot of ps2 just for the fact that there is 100% compatability.

Great info. This is why I've loved following you guys since the early days over at HTF.

* * Its cool hangin' with the cool kids. :)

I thought that the 20 and 80 Gig consoles did a poor job of playing the PS1 and PS2 games? Almost like they were emulated? Hence the big search for existing 60 Gig consoles? Did I hear wrong?

* * 20gig and the 60gig are full hardware backwards compat. the 80 gig is hardware and software compat. The 20gig didn't have wireless and some other bells and whistles.

How are the controllers charged up again? I heard it was through the USB ports on the console? Does the console come with a USB cord in order to do this?

* * USB is correct. The console comes with a cable and you can charge them through the PS3 or your PC.

I should be able to use my Harmony 880 to control the BD player a bit more effectively than the dual shock, correct?

* * You will need to get one of those IR remotes Romier mentioned. The PS3 uses Bluetooth for its controllers and BD Remote.

PSN titles.... Is that like WiiWare titles?

* * Correct. They also have classic arcade titles as well

I've got to get a wireless router........

* * Yup. :)

And thank you very much for mentioning the MSG4 bundle!

* * Anytime. If you are lucky, you may be able to score the Gun Metal colored PS3. If you do, I will be very jealous.

-Dean-

A PS3 controller works just fine as a Blu-ray remote :)

There are demos for Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted (and many other games, of course) on the PSN. Give 'em a try before you buy. Especially those three, because they all suck! :)

Some things not mentioned.

-Dual Shock doesn't have a lost signal issue that sixaxis has, at least that is what people here have told me

-Pixel Junk Monsters rocks and unlike recommendations for GTA, COD, and Resistance, you can't get the Pixel Junk experience on other platforms.

-I recommend turning off the power switch on the back of the PS3. I am constantly not realizing that the PS3 is on, and even when it is off, it apparently uses a lot of juice in standby mode.

-Games and demos often have to install to the harddrive. So initiate the installs at a time when you do not intend to play. So maybe 5 minutes before you're gonna play that demo you downloaded last night, turn on your PS3 and set it to install.

-Hit the STOP button when you intend to pick up where you left off, rather than just powering down the PS3. I "think" you need to do that for it save your state but I'm not absolutely sure.

The 20 gig has the same hardware emulation as the 60gb... it does not have wifi though, which is why I purchased the 60. If wifi does not matter to you though, it is easy to upgrade the hard drive with a notebook drive for the added space.

I really do suggest getting the 60 if you play a lot of ps2 just for the fact that there is 100% compatability.

Agreed on the 60 or the 20. I never thought the 40GB would be popular but I guess people don't care about BC.

I'll point out as I always do that it's really not very hard to set up wireless bridging for your a/v rack so you get a router with 4 ports in it ...something to think about if you are getting a 360 someday. It's cheaper than buying USB adapters for everything and works better IMO. The reason I scraped up a cheap 20GB model...didn't need wireless.

There are demos for Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted (and many other games, of course) on the PSN. Give 'em a try before you buy. Especially those three, because they all suck! :)

Troll_TUYLJ6.gif

Please excuse the dancing Canadian troll. :)

Scott,

If you take Romier's advice and decide you're going to get Warhawk, I strongly recommend getting the disk version with the headset. That way you get a headset and you can always sell the disk if you decide you're bored with the game (if you're like me then it is highly unlikely).

-Michael

Scott, I think the suggestion to try the demo's first is a good one. I blind bought Resistance and didn't care for it very much.

Warhawk is great IMO, but again, try the demo to be safe. And as mentioned already, if you buy Warhawk, pick up the disk version with the headset.

Like Keith mentioned, I always power off my PS3 in the back when I'm not using it.

In my experience, you will find that the PS3 can be great for gaming at times, and a pain in the ass for gaming at times, but there's no doubt that it's a kick ass Bluray player.

Enjoy it man!

In addition to the PS3 titles already suggested, I'd highly recommend Devil May Cry 4 and Gran Turismo

For Blu Ray, again the Pixar titles and Planet Earth are great to show off pic and sound. Also: Black Hawk Down, Hellboy and the Spiderman set.

Count me in as someone that played Resistance for 10 minutes and immediately deleted the demo. Blah.

If I only played the demo I would have done the same thing. Disliked it, it did nothing for me. Took a chance and bought the game. Glad I did. I mainly played the single player since I'm not a fan of a 40 player game where its shoot/die/respawn every few seconds.