LCVG

Far Cry 2 (X360, PS3) - Ubisoft Montreal

Romier S

Not sure if anyone's been following development on Far Cry 2 (which premiered as a PC title with a new and very impressive next gen engine), but Ubi announced the console versions awhile back and are finally showing off the PS3 and 360 versions of the game (which are identical to the PC):

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/far-cry-video-consoles-actu-141808.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

One of my most anticipated titles this year. It looks and sounds like they've got a nice new engine, and they've put a lot of work into the story being dynamic and player-driven. If it all works well and the gameplay is good, it could be something special.

I really want to see how it handles the player going around and killing every single NPC character on sight (since you can, and they stay dead) :)

This is one of my premier, most wanted titles, for this year!! Watched those stage demos of this game, during E3. DAMN!!! Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, are going to have me VERY busy!! Especially since they don't come out all that far apart, and they're all games that can potentially suck alot of time away, just by themselves.

Wasn't sure how'd I'd like the whole African Savannah look, as opposed to the originals awesome tropical look, but I think it's looking very nice! Love the fact that the day/night cycle isn't some stupid 15 or 20 minute affair but instead takes real time hours!

Wish I could get a real feel for how large the game area is. I've heard 50 square km, which does sound rather large. Just can't really comprehend exactly how that will be when walking around in the gameworld.

Well, the demos they showed at E3 demonstrated how differently the game can play between night and day. Daytime was your basic shooter affair and nighttime was stealth, as I would guess it would be in real life.

Of course, if you start shooting up shit and making a ton of noise, it doesn't matter if it's night. The enemies appeared and tried to take you out.

Anyhoo, the devs said that they wanted you to have a real chance to work an area at night without 10 min later being like, "oh shit, the sun is coming up already"! So, I think I remember them saying something like a game day takes place over a real time of 4 hours. Dawn, day, evening and night: 4 hours total.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of time, or ANY time at night, there are safe houses scattered over the area that you can walk into, set your alarm for whatever time you want to "sleep" to, and then time fast forwards to whatever time you specified. Gives you, the player, complete control over exactly when, in game time, you want to play.

I think it sounds awesome! :tu Definitely going to enjoy sneaking around at night, and getting my carnage fix during the day. :)

• 1 month later...

Games Radar Review

But it?s Far Cry 2?s dense, textural universe that will stay with you long after you power down your system. With gameplay this organic and a world so rich and explorable, Far Cry 2 is a game you?ll live in. You?ll regularly play it until embarrassing o?clock in the morning, and then you?ll get up and shamelessly start all over again. And you?ll love every second.

Tom Chick's review is up...

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/far-cry-2/far-cry-2-review/1257574

There have been plenty of shooters with awesome graphics, unique settings, smart AI, open worlds, or fancy physics. But there hasn't been a shooter that has all of these things. Until now. Far Cry 2 is the next step in the evolution of first-person shooters. Like Half-Life before it, this is a game that puts you into a world and does everything in its power to make you forget it's a game...

The overarching concept of Far Cry 2 is to never take you out of the game. You're always looking through your character's eyes. You'll never look down from a third person view, even when you're in a vehicle. Maps aren't separate screens, but actual 3D objects you hold in your virtual hand. Menus are few and far between. The HUD elements like ammo counts and health bars are minimal, and they only come up when you're injured or low on ammo. Even navigating the wide-open world is based on following signs on the road and a portable GPS system you carry with you. The objective of Far Cry 2 as a game is to get out of the way and let you experience the game world. And there is no other game world quite like this one: haunting, spectacular, meditative, explosive, violent, and serene, all at once, and all in a mere shooter.

PC Version for me. I'll be picking it up after work.

I have 360version in my game Q, should ship tomorrow. I became much more interested when finding out that it has pretty much nothing in common with the first game. I never liked the feral powers or cared much for the story so I am not disappointed it was wiped out. Game sounds great, can't wait to get started.

Picked up the 360 version this morning. Messed around with the level editor, and it's way more advanced than the previous release. It's going to take some time to learn everything, but it's really full featured, and I'm thinking in a few weeks there should be some really good maps available for download.

Single player graphics are damn nice as well, but I haven't played much of it yet.

Please post impressions of the AI. I've heard mixed opinions, but mostly that it's poor. The poor AI is one of the things that ruined the previous couple of Far Cry games for me. (the first PC Far Cry had good AI though for the most part...or at least that's how I remember it)

Oh, one thing that does suck is that Ubi screwed up the widescreen FOV similiar to how 2K Boston fussed up Bioshock. You end up losing top and bottom screen info when playing in a widescreen resolution. Here's an example:

The red is what's missing when you're playing in a widescreen resolution.

[ATTACH]3720[/ATTACH]

The intention is of course to see the "MORTE" tatoo on the guys arm but you can't when playing in widescreen. It's not a gamebreaker or anything but I certainly hope it's something Ubisoft patches just as Bioshock did.