LCVG

Don King Prizefighter

CaptainRon

The more I read about the story mode for this, the more excited I get. I already love that historical boxers like Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis are in this (finally we can resolve that argument in "Coming to America" :lol ), but the 24/7 training/promoting for your boxer sounds very immersive, like you're really trying to make it in the business without it being linear. It's coming out next Tuesday! :ohyeah

I'll be curious to see how this game gets received via reviews. I'm a huge boxing fan. The fact they are using the Don King license has one strike against it already in my book. Why an infamous promoter and not a well know fighter is beyond me. Hell, just call it Prizefighter if it's a matter of cost.

This paragraph from Eurogamer's preview got me interested...

The game is also fast - very fast, if the bouts we saw are anything to judge by. While acknowledging that Fight Night Round 3 is the main competition - and arguably the benchmark for the boxing genre - 2K Sports has chosen to go entirely the other direction. The game still looks great, but seems to have sacrificed detail for speed, with a control system that owes more to Street Fighter (albeit with simpler combos) than to Fight Night, replete with really immediate, responsive controls and a fast and furious rate of play. Indeed, the game's producer isn't afraid of dishing out some pre-match smack talk to Fight Night - commenting that EA's champ "sort of cheats" by slowing down the action so that you can see every punch land, and going so far as to say that Fight Night 3 is "a beautiful game - but it's mostly just beautiful, and that's about it". Ouch. Fighting talk fits the boxing genre, at least.
But I'll be waiting for hands-on info before getting excited (if the gameplay is actually good).

I don't see what the fuss is about Don King. He's a controversial guy... but that's his job, to bring attention to his fights. I just find him amusing.

Well, he ruined boxing as a sport. That's a pretty big reason to despise him.

I have the next few definite purchases pretty well laid out (Alone in the Dark, Spectral Force 3, CivRev) and a couple possibles (SoulCalibur 4,GH Aerosmith), so this one will probably have to wait a while. If there is a demo, how it plays will probably have some impact on my interest level.

Yikes, that's an awful review, but I just played the game yesterday and I wonder if I just played the same game or not.

This game isn't perfect, but I like it. The career mode is fun and not as corny as you'd expect, and the best parts are the create-a-boxer and training modes, which are both great and possibly the best for the boxing genre of games.

With gameplay you can count on a bit of a learning curve. You can't button mash, so hitting the same button 10 times in a second will get you one punch (two if it's a jab maybe). This game demands that you use strategy and punch realistically. An energy bar denotes how fast and hard you punch, so if you button mash, your boxer will tire and be ineffective. A number of button combinations determine which kinds of punches you throw and I'm still learning them.

Overall I think it's fun and worth a trial run at least. I'll be addicted to the career mode for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit off topic....I just had the pleasure or misfortune, depending upon how you look at it, of listening to Don King's incoherent Q&A interview (rant) with Major Nelson (6/21 podcast?). He is barely able to answer any of Major Nelson's questions, instead he goes on and on about irrelevant shit. Classic King, pure hilarity. :lol