LCVG

IBM doing the XBox2 CPU...

paul h

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to file this under seems-strange-to-me news if it is true. I've never been to that site, does anyone know of thier credibility? Seems like a conflict of interest MS and Sony.

And how about that last paragraph.

The next version of the Xbox is expected to be announced in January by Bill Gates, and it is expected to possibly be ready for late next year.

What?? This is what makes me question the validity of their info.

Here's some what seems to be well thought out speculation:

"But is IBM offering PowerPC technology? Some coverage of the deal, based on pre-release viewings of the press statement we reckon, suggests that the arrangement is more about manufacturing than CPU development. If so, that might favour AMD. Its Athlon 64 has been heralded by AMD fanboys as the most sensible choice for Xbox 2. IBM and AMD have a joint development programme working on future 65nm and 45nm process technologies, so there's a connection between the two companies. We expect AMD to choose IBM has a fab partner when 65nm comes on stream. "

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page....me=dev&aid=2493

Originally posted by merlot@Nov 3 2003, 12:21 PM

Hmmm, IBM and ATI.... sounds more like Gamecube2 then Xbox2 :?

Both the Gamecube and Xbox are what they are because of the philosophy behind them, not the hardware. Nintendo's goals are different from MS's, I suspect they will continue to be. Both IBM and ATI are capable of top-quality stuff, so I wouldn't fret about the next 'Box.

My 2?

based on pre-release viewings of the press statement we reckon, suggests that the arrangement is more about manufacturing than CPU development

This makes sense, IBM has bleeding edge fab technology. But who, then, would be designing the CPU? It can't be Intel because they would fab it themselves, it's not likely to be NEC or Motorola for the same reasons, and Toshiba is already involved with Sony and IBM...

It could conceivably be MS themselves, probably with input from IBM..but you gotta wonder how MS feels secure about IBM knowing the ins and outs of their CPU, the PS3's CPU and the Gamcube's CPU!

Originally posted by JTello@Nov 3 2003, 12:48 PM

I'd have to file this under seems-strange-to-me news if it is true. I've never been to that site, does anyone know of thier credibility? Seems like a conflict of interest MS and Sony.

And how about that last paragraph.

The next version of the Xbox is expected to be announced in January by Bill Gates, and it is expected to possibly be ready for late next year.

What?? This is what makes me question the validity of their info.

I agree. That is really suspicious. Xbox2 for next Christmas? I really, really, really doubt it. Microsoft is just NOW getting into a groove with the Xbox, and would run the risk of alienating a lot of late-adopters were they to pull out the Xbox2 too early. IMO, at least.

Originally posted by EdR+Nov 3 2003, 03:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EdR @ Nov 3 2003, 03:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-merlot@Nov 3 2003, 12:21 PM

Hmmm, IBM and ATI.... sounds more like Gamecube2 then Xbox2 :?

Both the Gamecube and Xbox are what they are because of the philosophy behind them, not the hardware. Nintendo's goals are different from MS's, I suspect they will continue to be. Both IBM and ATI are capable of top-quality stuff, so I wouldn't fret about the next 'Box.

My 2? [/b]

I'm not saying that's a bad thing... my little Cube kicks ass.

There's an article at Wired about this.

Whatever the details, he said the chip will likely perform much like the IBM PowerPC 970, better known as the G5 used in Apple's Power Macs, when it ships in late 2004 or early 2005. "I think performance will be akin to a G5 today,"

Interesting. The G5 is an incredible floating point performer, weaker in integer. Games are largely FP, right?

So the Xbox2 will have a 64-bit CPU, that could make for some serious gaming power.

OK, a few thoughts occurred to me.

First, what of backward compatibility? If they are going to make it backward compatible, either they do emulation, which would need to be very efficient, or they need to include an X86 chip on the motherboard, which seems like it might be a tad expensive.

Second, does this imply that MS will port the NT kernel to PPC? It's interesting that they are currently working on Win64 for AMDs 64-bit chips...I wonder if they might be considering it for the G5/PPC970.

This also implies that they will port DirectX to the PPC970...which, of course would suddenly make it a possibility to see it on the Mac, which could radically change the Mac's viability as a gaming platform (which it isn't).

The link Dave posted from EE times mentions MS may go this route to subdue the Xbox modding which they don't like. IGN doesn't seem to think MS will abandon x86 technology, and use IBM for the chipset or some other technnology other than the CPU.

Who the hell knows who is right. Kain rising's link certainly sounded credible too. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I could care less who powers the next Xbox, as long as it kick ass :green:

On another note, since they abanded Nvidia, what about sound? Nvidia provided the real-time DD 5.1 sound decoding, didn't they?

They surely did provide it(DD5.1). I would expect that they will just use a programmable DSP, maybe even one from IBM, to do the audio next time. From what I've heard, MS has really been hiring some damn good hardware engineers from other companies over the past couple years.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if MS dropped the x86 chip for a better alternative. A lot of people thought the xbox was going to be a pc without a keyboard and porting pc games over to the xbox would be a snap, but everything I've read is to the contrary. Also, developers are constantly dealing with porting titles for the other consoles, so dealing w/ new hardware issues is typical, not an exception. Basically, there's no good reason to stick w/ x86 technology. :roll:

As far as reverse compatability is concerned (I think we discussed this in another thread) I wouldn't be suprised if there was none. Sony is the only console to ever provide it, so it's far from the norm. Also the xbox library is huge after only a short time period. I highly doubt it's on the list of core requirements for xbox2.

Hmmmm, from Extreme Tech:

Scott Sykes, a spokesman for IBM Microelectronics, confirmed that an undisclosed IBM processor would power the Xbox. "It is the main CPU," Sykes said, when asked if the component would be a co-processor or other chip within the console.

From your new link, News Factor:

It is not clear which of IBM's chips will power the next Xbox. "We're not disclosing that," IBM spokesperson Scott Sykes told NewsFactor, adding that "we were selected by Microsoft because of our advanced technology, and this is an affirmation of IBM's innovation in the advanced consumer-electronics area."

All I have to add is this: :?