LCVG

Microsofts RPG Event in Japan late tonight

JoeyN

Microsoft is holding a event in Japan late tonight (tomorrow there) to show off upcoming RPG's to the system including Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant, as well as some unannounced items. A year ago i would say i had no interest, but over the last year I have enjoyed Eternal Sonata, mass effect, the bit of Blue Dragon/Lost odyssey I have tried to far. Bring on more RPG's

Heres the new from the event

1)Last Remnant will launch on 360 first this Fall. Ps3 later on . Originally both supposed to be the same time

2)Infinite Undiscovery launches 9/2

3)Star Ocean 4 is coming to the 360 in 2009 (no word on the PS3 version)

4)Tales of Vesperia Bundle is going to be launched in Japan

I guess Microsoft has taken getting the best RPG's on the system to heart this time around

MS can get all the RPG's they want, it is a shame that almost all RPG's die a slow death on the system. MS will never get market share in Japan. The only way that would happen is they somehow got Square to release Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest exclusively on the 360, and we already know there is no shot of that happening. Hopefully those titles see the light of day over here or on other systems so the developers can make some money. I really don't see Star Ocean making it over here since it is not a popular title in the US at all. I highly doubt it will be 360 exclusive since Square knows it will not sell dick on the 360 in Japan. Isn't Last Remnant the action game using the Unreal 3 engine? If it is, that explains the PS3 delay since it sounds like developers are finally getting their grip on that engine with the PS3 hardware. To be fair to MS, their audience has never been the JRPG crowd. Bioware is the only company that I can think of that has had success on the MS platforms with RPGs. I give them credit for trying to diversify, but they really should focus on what makes their platform great.

-Dean-

Heres the new from the event

1)Last Remnant will launch on 360 first this Fall. Ps3 later on . Originally both supposed to be the same time

2)Infinite Undiscovery launches 9/2

3)Star Ocean 4 is coming to the 360 in 2009 (no word on the PS3 version)

4)Tales of Vesperia Bundle is going to be launched in Japan

I guess Microsoft has taken getting the best RPG's on the system to heart this time around

You know these are the best RPGs?

I really don't see Star Ocean making it over here since it is not a popular title in the US at all.

That's actually quite wrong. The last title did just fine here (pretty decent game IMO)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean:_Till_the_End_of_Time

Reception and criticism

Game Rankings (67 sources) 81 of 100→

Metacritic (55 sources) 80 of 100→

Star Ocean 3 was the 96th-best seller among console games of the PS2/GameCube/Xbox generation as of July 2006; it had estimated U.S. sales of 630,000 copies, with revenues of $23 million.[2] In Japan, the original sold 533,373 copies as of 2003

That's pretty decent for an RPG.

That's actually quite wrong. The last title did just fine here (pretty decent game IMO)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean:_Till_the_End_of_Time

That's pretty decent for an RPG.

I stand corrected. However, I highly doubt that Star Ocean 4 would do close to those number if it was indeed a 360 exclusive.

As far as Final Fantasy goes, I recall XII getting some phenomenal reviews and a lot of people praising it for its story and battle system. Sure, Square whores out the remakes, but I don't quite know if they are selling out. Especially since they are pumping a lot of $$$$ in XIII.

-Dean-

Here are some of the 360 RPG total numbers US, EU and Japan from VGchartz

Oblivion-2.48 Million (1.68 of that is US alone)

Mass Effect- 1.9 Million (no japan yet)

Lost Odyssey- 710,000

Blue Dragon- 480,000 (was a dud in EU).

Two Worlds- 340,000 (US only, and another is being made)

Eternal Sonata- 250,000 (was this even released in EU? Can't find a number for it)

Sony has Final Fantasy though. Much as I think the series hasn't produced a classic since VI, they still sell like hotcakes and are a huge market force to be reckoned with. They literally don't need any others, honestly.

I'm very pleased with the selection on the 360. There was almost nothing at the start, but now we get tasty stuff like Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey. I'd rather take a great game on its own merits than choke down the unstoppable blitz of LOVE IT LOVE IT that Final Fantasy gets over okay gameplay with the usual bang-zoom cutscenes :).