LCVG

The Love Guru

This movie is coming out a week from Friday on the 20th, so I figured I'd start a thread. Anyone going to see this?

I remember when I first saw the trailers for Austin Powers that I figured I'd hate it, but then I ended up loving it. With Mike Myers there's a lot of silliness, and some cheese too, but I always get some laughs from him, going all the way back to his SNL days.

I remember when I first saw the trailers for Austin Powers that I figured I'd hate it, but then I ended up loving it.

Based on the trailer I've had nothing but disdain for The Love Guru, but you make a very good point.

I don't think I'll be able to trust reviews on this one, as Austin Powers wasn't received too warmly by critics...

I'd much prefer Mike Meyers and Adam Sandler play more serious roles than most of their way over the top comedies. And by serious I mean just less over the top. Not drama.

I agree. 50 First Dates was a good one for Sandler. After the first hour of Zohan, I wanted it to end.

With Love Guru, I'll probably end up seeing it with a group of people. It wont be getting my vote though.

That's an interesting point about being over-the-top. You could look at Jim Carrey's career and see how he's gone from insanely wacky characters to dramatic type roles (Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine) with success. We can pretend that "23" didn't happen though, lol.

One thing that this film has going for it is the supporting cast imo. Romany Malco was great in the 40 Year Old Virgin, Justin Timberlake is a rising star in comedy (surprising, but his SNL performance catapulted him). On top of that, I've seen Daniel Tosh, Jim Gaffigan and Stephen Colbert in TV ads, all three of which are funny.

I'm sorry, I used to give a fair amount of leeway to Mike Myers because of the goodwill he built up from the Wayne's World movies, the first Austin Powers, and even "So I Married an Axe Murderer". But the Cat in the Hat broke me, and this movie looks just awful. If it gets truly stellar reviews I may give the DVD a shot but that's all I can offer.

I'm sorry, I used to give a fair amount of leeway to Mike Myers because of the goodwill he built up from the Wayne's World movies, the first Austin Powers, and even "So I Married an Axe Murderer".

Even So I Married an Axe Murderer? Even?! You're dead to me.

"Head! Paper, now! Move that melon of yours, if you can. Haulin' that gargantuan cr-r-ranium about."

I'm a pretty big fan of Myers' brand of comedy, but I'm not totally sold on Love Guru. The first trailer I thought looked awful, with just a bunch of Austin Powers jokes recycled... but then I realised that I really really like the jokes in Austin Powers and they were all recycled too, so I kinda warmed up.

The second trailer I saw seemed better for some reason, plus Vern Troyer as the Maple Leafs coach almost has me sold.

But then there's Alba.... wonderful eye candy, but terrible actor and appears to have no comedic timing.

I mean, the trailer I saw had, as its big hook, a midget getting hit by a hockey puck. A midget...getting hit...by a hockey puck. It then follows that comedic gem by having the midget getting shocked by defib paddles and flying into the hockey goal, as the crowd cheers. Is this...is this really funny? People still find this stuff funny? I mean, people over the age of 12?

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old.