LCVG

Best subwoofer for under $200?

AlbertA

I've examined quite a few different JBL designs over the years...value does vary quite a bit(but that can be said about *any* OEM). The old D112 was one of the all-tike greats in "bang for the buck" for example. I don't think you'll find better performance for $200(delivered) than the sub12 but If I think of any others I'll let you know.

Tom V.

I've examined quite a few different JBL designs over the years...value does vary quite a bit(but that can be said about *any* OEM). The old D112 was one of the all-tike greats in "bang for the buck" for example. I don't think you'll find better performance for $200(delivered) than the sub12 but If I think of any others I'll let you know.

Tom V.

Wait are you pulling my leg or are you "THE" Tom Vodhanel?

Did you examine the PB12? It's a very poor design (undersized caps, overdriven the smichtt trigger driver, circuit very to Dependant on proper supply filtering).

*the* Tom Vodhanel? Hah...yeah, I guess I am at that..:)

I don't recall looking at the PB12 specifically, sorry.

You have to remember though...if the unit retails for $200...chances are cost-to-manufacture will be in $40-60 range. So that is 10-15 for the woofer, 10-15 for the amp,10-15 for the enclosure, and 10-15 for all the packing, labor, and related stuff. Can you still get *decent* quality for those prices? surprisingly, yes(if its built overseas and in quantity)...but you really can't expect too much. Fair output(say---100-105dB corner loaded)and extension down to 27-30hz...is probably a reasonable goal.

If you have basic handtools and some spare time...you could always consider DIYing too. $200 should be enough to get you pretty good DIY woofin...particularly if you aren't worried about the aesthetics.

Tom V.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to recalibrate too. Bass too "hot" is one of the most common reasons why we feel the subwoofer is "heard" too much. Also if you haven't, be sure to experiment with placement. Corners tend to work well, particularly corners near the seating positions.

Tom V.