LCVG

GTA double pack - Control question??

FLYING SE7EN

I read in November's OXM that the GTA double pack are ports of the PC games and have fully customizable controls.

In the PC version of GTA3, you could choose from two different control schemes: PC style with mouse and keyboard, and Classic which was based on the PS2 console scheme.

The PC style of control gave you a targeting dot in the center of the screen and also gave you fixed (from behind) 3rd person perspective and free control of the camera where you could manually target enemies (read:peds)

The Classic scheme with the console style controls used the auto targeting system from the PS2 version as well as the 3D style movement of your character (ie: you could turn to face yourself and run towards the screen).

Wheeew. Now that I set everything up I can finally get to my question: Will the XBOX versions give you the same choices regarding control schemes??

I would love to play with the PC style because I've never been a fan of the targeting system in either console version of the games. This one element can change gameplay enough to warrant a purchase by itself IMO.

Anyone have an idea??

Cheers.

J.

I guess I should actually do some looking around before I post long winded questions.

From GameSpot

As far as content goes, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City will be an exact conversion of the PlayStation 2 adventure. However, the controls in the game have been tweaked, presenting a first-person shooter-style approach for the third-person sequences and a standard Xbox racing layout for the driving segments. You'll move Tommy with the left analog stick, clicking it in will have him crouch, and will actually use the right trigger to attack. The left trigger will answer you cell phone or lock on to targets. The right analog stick lets you look around, clicking it in will let you look behind you. The A button lets you run in short bursts. X lets you jump. The white button lets you cycle through camera angles. The d-pad will let you cycle through your weapons. The Y button lets you forcibly "borrow" a car from any passerby. When you've taken possession of a car, you accelerate, or ascend in a helicopter, with the right trigger and brake or reverse, or descend in a helicopter, with the left trigger. The B button is your emergency brake, and the black button lets you cycle through your music selections. The left thumbstick triggers your horn while clicking in the right thumbstick looks behind you. The X button will toggle vehicle missions on and off. Overall, the layout feels good and should be easy to pick up.

Looks like it will be a mixture of both. Although it still doesn't say if looking around with the right stick will stay in 3rd person like the PC version or if it will switch to 1st person like the PS2.

Sam, off the top of my head, and after running a few missions, I'm fairly certain there isn't a control scheme like the PC version, but I could be wrong. I'll investigate later tonight for you.

I have noticed though that the controls seem much tighter than the PS2 releases.

Originally posted by XBL_RuFfNeCk@Nov 6 2003, 08:13 PM

Sam, off the top of my head, and after running a few missions, I'm fairly certain there isn't a control scheme like the PC version, but I could be wrong. I'll investigate later tonight for you.

I have noticed though that the controls seem much tighter than the PS2 releases.

Thanks bud.

I really want to know because if I can have the PC Control scheme I might buy it.

I've played bits of GTA3 on the PC but alas, my machine isn't fast enough for me to complete the game (especially when you unlock the other half of the city).

I don't have much interest in playing Vice again, however, as I've played it to death on PS2.

I think it's a myth. Never existed as far as I know. ;)

On topic:

The control is just like they said at gamespot. When you use the right thumbstick to look, it switches to 1st person, and the auto targeting system is used in all of it's not so good glory.

Still, both games look fantastic and load times are virtually non-existant.

Cheers.

J.

Originally posted by Adjuster@Nov 7 2003, 08:16 AM

I think it's a myth. Never existed as far as I know. ;)

On topic:

The control is just like they said at gamespot. When you use the right thumbstick to look, it switches to 1st person, and the auto targeting system is used in all of it's not so good glory.

Still, both games look fantastic and load times are virtually non-existant.

Cheers.

J.

Yuck. I hate auto-aim.

I'd still like to see the visual improvements, though...

Man, GTA3 looks fabulous.

This is the GTA experience I was expecting when I got it for PS2.

That about sums up how I feel about it. It looks great, runs smooth and the controls are actually very good. I don't miss manual aim that much at all!

I'm very smitten. Except for the lockups. I hate spending time perfecting an elaborate mission only to have it freeze when I try to save. UGH!

• 1 month later...

OK, having experienced what is possible with 3rd person auto-aiming in Max Payne 2 (see my last post regarding controls), I can't help but feel a little annoyed that Rockstar didn't offer the same thing on the GTA Double Pack. The autoaiming is really rather insufficient. You seldom lock on to the enemy you intend, and when running around you lose track of the target very easily. The camera is partly to blame.