LCVG

May NPDs

dogbert

I go away from a computer for most of the day and return to find noone's posted the NPDs for May? Bah.

HW

PlayStation 3 208.7K

PlayStation Portable 182.3K

Xbox 360 186.6K

Wii 675.1K

Nintendo DS 452.6K

SW Top 10

Top 10 SKU's May 2008 Rank # Units

(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc.)

360 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) APR 2008 1 871.3K

WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2008 2 787.4K

WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA MAY 2008 3 687.7K

PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) APR 2008 4 442.9K

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 5 294.6K

WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL NINTENDO OF AMERICA MAR 2008 6 171.1K

PS2 IRON MAN SEGA OF AMERICA APR 2008 7 130.6K

WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ WIREACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 8 116.8K

NDS POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF DARKNESS NOA APR 2008 9 107K

NDS POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF TIME NOA APR 2008 10 102K

Industry

Dollar Sales May 2007 May 2008 CHG

Video Games $816.3M $1.12B 37%

Video Games Hardware $319.7M $428.6M 34%

Video Games Software $380.8M $536.9M 41%

Video Game Accessories $115.8M $150.8M 30%

Given the gas prices, I think budgets are pretty crunched right now. I'm not too surprised.

Huh? Did you not see:

WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA MAY 2008 3 687.7K

Wii 675.1K

Nintendo DS 452.6K

WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2008 2 787.4K

They're spending money, just not where we thought gamers traditionally would.

That is what I mentioned last month. The Wii is a much cheaper alternative and is much more family friendly. People are not going to be buying $400 consoles right now. We may see a spike in June for the PS3 because of MGS4, but I cannot see it being much of a spike.

-Dean-

ople are not going to be buying $400 consoles right now.

I think the overarching point Josh is making is that in this tight economy, folks are still buying $250 consoles with $90 WiiFit boards. I can buy into Wii being the cheaper alternative due to gas prices being up argument except for 700k units of the $90 WiiFit bundles flying off shelves. That doesn't exactly tell me that folks are entirely against spending money right now. I think it's fair to say that the economy is certainly a factor but there has definitely been a shift away from "hardcore" systems like the 360/PS3.

Yeah, gas prices are what they are but this is Grand Theft Auto we're on about gentleman. It's EASILY the biggest release of the year and for it to not have shifted much in the way of hardware is certainly suprising to me - gas prices or not. Mind you, I think it might have had a strong effect had it released during the crucial holiday season but that's by the by.

Wii is just this generation's cabbage patch kid. Only there is a lot more to do with a cabbage patch kid.

Uhhh...seriously?

I think the overarching point Josh is making is that in this tight economy, folks are still buying $250 consoles with $90 WiiFit boards. I can buy the cheaper alternative due to gas price argument except for 700k $90 WiiFit bundles flying off shelves. That doesn't exactly tell me that folks are entirely against spending money right now. I think it's fair to say that the economy is certainly a factor but there has definitely been a shift away from "hardcore" systems like the 360/PS3.

I believe Romier is correct. Take this for what you will, I'm not one of the "big boys" as a retailer, but I have not seen any kind of hit in my sales whatsoever... demand has remained constant and I of course refer to everything from way retro to current gen. I think a lot of people are seeing video games as a much better value than going out the movies, out to eat, etc. as far as hours of entertainment per dollar in this economy.

Or it could just be that Microsoft and Sony have tapped out the number of people willing to pay more than $300 for a video game console and need to issue price cuts. I won't deny that high gas prices are affecting the way people spend their money, but I don't think that tells the whole story.

Exactly my thoughts. Price Drops needed

Price drops have been needed for the past year IMHO. Sony has made a concerted effort to bring the PS3 price down but it's obvious that it's not enough despite the PS3 , from a tech perspective, being a bargain at $399.99.

Microsoft I don't understand. Sure, I can understand the pricing on the Pro and Elite packages and even then they need to drop further but the fact that the Arcade pack isn't at the 199.99 level or even 229.99 to better compete with the Wii...well I've got no clue.

A bit of a tangent but...

What I do know is that as happy as I am for Nintendo seeing success with the Wii - they've kind of lost me so far this generation. I can see I'm going to have an N64 like relationship with the console. I bought an N64 four times due to some MUST have titles I wanted and in between I usually sold it off from it sitting in a corner gathering dust while I happily played my Playstation and Dreamcast. I see nothing on the horizon that really interests and excites me on the console but then that's the point of the system I guess - it's not supposed to interest me and my "hardcore" sensibilities. You know my wife looked at me a two weeks ago and asked "Why do you even own this thing, you NEVER play it?". I honestly couldn't give her a good answer. I can accept and even admire what Nintendo is doing with the Wii (though it certainly gives me pause to think how it could affect me as a hardcore gamer in the future). I can accept that Nintendo has bigger plans than little old me but then there's a reason I recently sold my Wii off...

What I do know is that as happy as I am for Nintendo seeing success with the Wii - they've kind of lost me so far this generation.... I see nothing on the horizon that really interests and excites me on the console...

For what it's worth, Nintendo has been very quiet with regards to its game lineup in the second half of the year. If we are to believe Reggie, we'll see a lot of what's planned announced at E3 next month.

Microsoft I don't understand. Sure, I can understand the pricing on the Pro and Elite packages and even then they need to drop further but the fact that the Arcade pack isn't at the 199.99 level or even 229.99 to better compete with the Wii...well I've got no clue.

Just my opinion but I think we haven't seen a 360 price cut yet because this is how Microsoft is paying for their red ring warranty coverage. Cynical gamers have a right to label the "red ring warranty" as a PR move but the fact remains that the unreliability of the console cost Microsoft a ton. Keeping the 360 at its current price keeps the console on the road to profitability.

For what it's worth, Nintendo has been very quiet with regards to its game lineup in the second half of the year. If we are to believe Reggie, we'll see a lot of what's planned announced at E3 next month.

It would be a mistake to every count Nintendo out (I certainly learned that with the DS) but I am at best apathetic about any announcements Nintendo will make for the Wii platform. They have all but lost me with this generation. I don't like Wii games and I certainly do not like their new found arrogant attitude and brilliantly executed PR/marketing/artificial supply chain plan for the Wii.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter had some interesting things to say about the latest NPD numbers over at Kotaku. Specifically he had some interesting things to say about core gamers' reactions to the Wii and Wii sales in general:

"I don't really think that Microsoft and Sony are doing badly - just doing badly in comparison to Nintendo," Pachter said. "It makes sense that PS3 and 360 are doing about the same... instead of saying 'what's wrong with Sony and Microsoft,' we should be looking at Nintendo and saying, 'how the hell do they keep doing this?'"

It's easy to peg the answers on the price discrepancies, but Pachter said that's not all there is to it, pointing to Nintendo's success in a mainstream market most gamers are less aware of. "There really are people who play games that don't read Kotaku - I know it's hard to believe," he said. "There are people out there who don't even know how to spell Kotaku, and don't even know that there are websites dedicated to games."

Calling the typical console-fanboy attitude "extremely myopic," Pachter added, "There are actually people out there who have sex. The people on Kotaku, other than their parents, they've never met anyone who's had sex."

So, how much hate mail do you think Mr. Pachter will receive in the coming days? Should he go and hide for a while? At least he's not inciting the Nintendo fanboy hatred like Zero Punctuation did with his review of Super Smash Bros. Brawl ;)

Truth hurts. :)

:tu

That's fucking funny. To be fair, that was a dickish thing to say, but let's be real. Most people don't have the desire to read about games. Like most people who go see movies, they get what is appealing and deal with the consequences. Gaming is mainstream now, and the geeks just don't get it.

If we are to believe Reggie, we'll see a lot of what's planned announced at E3 next month.

As much as I'd love to see them release something along the lines of an innovative game that appeals to the hardcore audience, I'd be very, very, very surprised to see them announce anything that even resembled this. (not that this is specifically what you were referring to).

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter had some interesting things to say about the latest NPD numbers over at Kotaku. Specifically he had some interesting things to say about core gamers' reactions to the Wii and Wii sales in general:

So, how much hate mail do you think Mr. Pachter will receive in the coming days? Should he go and hide for a while? At least he's not inciting the Nintendo fanboy hatred like Zero Punctuation did with his review of Super Smash Bros. Brawl ;)

Hilarious. It is being kind of a dick, but a funny one.

I personally don't tend to pick up the Wii for single player very often, but that's more because I want my XBL buddies to be able to send me an invite for a game or whatever. I'd leave the Xbox on and check it from time to time but it's sooo damn loud.

That said, it would be the last system I'd get rid of. I value gaming time with my wife (and probably my little girl soon) more than my XBL buddies or watching blu-ray. Even if I spend more time playing with my XBL buddies it seems ;). And there's some very good single player games on it.