LCVG

Will TRU screw me?

Chris The Rock

I went to Toys R Us to take part in the 3-for-2 deal this weekend. Wanted to get Crimson Skies, Top Spin, and a game that my wife would like.

My wife picked Simpsons Hit & Run, and I went to the counter to get the games.

Bad news: No copies of Crimson Skies. The TRU employee offered to call another store to see if they had a copy (the computer showed 1 copy at a store across town). Being perfectly willing to make the drive to get a free game, I decided I'd wait.

After several minutes of waiting while the employee tried to contact the other store, the Store Director came over, and took over the duties of holding on the phone. From hearing his side of the conversation, it was pretty clear that the other store was sold out.

In what I believe was a serious effort to help a customer, he offered to "do something for me". He wrote down my name and number, and said they'd call me when the game came in and I could pick it up. He then went to the back office to print out some kind of confirmation of the for me. In the meantime, the register attendant rang up my purchase of the 2 games, and the free Simba stuffed animal.

A few minutes later, the Store Director emerged from the office stating that the printer wasn't working, but that I could be assured that he "put it in the computer". He said that when the game showed up at their store, I would receive a call and I could come in, show my receipt dated during the weekend when the 3-for-2 sale was on, and I would receive Crimson Skies free.

Being a skeptic, I asked him what guarantee I have that this would happen the way he described. In a very assuring voice, he said I could be sure that he did in fact "put it in the computer" - and that I could have, if it would make me Feel Better, his Business Card, which shows that he is, in fact, the Store Director, and I could call him if something goes wrong.

Just wondering, has anyone ever had this experience? I'm about 95% sure that I'm going to have major problems. First, I'm positive I won't receive this call. Second, when I walk in and say, "I'm here to pick up my free game", I'm sure that no one at the store will have Any Idea what I'm talking about, and I'll have to tell my story to about 5 people, and then I'll finally have to tell them that I have the Store Director's Business Card - and that nobody better mess with me.

Then, I'll find out that the Store Director quit.

Not sure on the screwing front - but IMO, the better option would have been to pick up "random XBox game Y" @ $49.99, make sure they don't ring it up as the free title, then exchange it (still sealed!) for Crimson Skies when they get it in stock. I'm contemplating doing this with the Midtown Madness 3 I got, since both times I went they had no Crimson Skies in stock. :(

Originally posted by Ryan FB@Nov 3 2003, 04:13 PM

Not sure on the screwing front - but IMO, the better option would have been to pick up "random XBox game Y" @ $49.99, make sure they don't ring it up as the free title, then exchange it (still sealed!) for Crimson Skies when they get it in stock. I'm contemplating doing this with the Midtown Madness 3 I got, since both times I went they had no Crimson Skies in stock. :(

Oh, I forgot to mention this.

After getting rung up, while Mr. Store Director was in the back office, I discussed this with my wife. We both thought it may be a good idea to do that.

When the Store Director came out and gave me the news, I asked him if doing that (getting a game and then exchanging it) would be an acceptable alternative, he said in his aforementioned assuring voice "Well, you could do that if you wanted to, but there's no need. You won't have any problems." Glancing over and seeing the line which by now had reached 6 or 7 people, I reasoned in my mind that he was telling the truth.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that would have been a better idea.

Damn.

I don't think you should be worried.

If I were you, I would have gotten something beyond his business card. I would have asked for something in writing, say a receipt with a signature or similar.

I've waited for much more expensive items in a similar manner (computer RAM) and I didn't have any problems getting what I was entitled to.

I agree that you probably won't get the call. Just check in with him often and you should have no problems.

It sounds to me like you've had a previous bad experience before or you're just paranoid. ;)

Shouldn't this be a poll? ;)

I think that you will be fine, given that you had this conversation face-to-face and that about 1 out of 5,052 TRU customers will have the store manager's business card. I would staple it to the receipt and make a few visits to check on their expected arrival date.

We used to work at TRU and usually when they say they will help you out, they follow through. Just make sure the store director is in if the cashier gives you any hassle. I would have asked him to write it on his business card if his printer was out. That way, in case he is not in, the cashier/manager of the day has something concrete to go by. As the director, HE can do things like that, while regular Joe Schmoe has rules to follow.

But overall, they are pretty good about stuff like that.

I work for Toys R Us in the R-Zone department and i don't think u got ripped off since you spoke to the store director, but i do think u will have some trouble when picking up the game. First don't wait for them to call u call them to see if the game has arrived in stock a good time to call is after 2pm on Tuesdays-Fridays. Also when the game does arrive in stock (ask them to hold it) and you head to the store ask for the store director or manager because i don't have a clue as to what he entered in the systems since Toys R Us IT structure is so poor it doesn't allow for personal records to be kept let alone accessed by employees over the store computers. When asking the service associate to check the computer to see that you have paid for Crimson Skies and are there to pick it up they will look at you with a clueless look. Generally what they do is scan you receipt to bring up the journal of the transaction but all that is contained is items purchased, time, tender, etc nothing like this item what not giving at time of purchase. Best thing for you to have done was get another game and return it when Crimson Skies was back in stock, or pay for it like the Store Director allowed you too but written you out a rain check at lest. This Store Director seems cool because rain checks are not allowed but there are exceptions, good luck.