LCVG

Nhl 2008-offseason

PHiL

Good move IMO, guys a distraction, he's been in LA and NY already, won't be too much longer and he'll have run through all the "hip" places to live and he'll wind up in Columbus or someplace like that. That whole "screening" thing with Broduer in the playoffs was a freaking disgrace.

Wings took a goalie in the first round, McCollum I believe. Howard's supposed to come up and split time with Ozzy this year and Larsson has come over from Sweden so we're lookin good as far as goal goes I think. Why the Wings are going to re-sign Chelios again is a mystery to me, we have so many damn D-men waiting to get time with the big club and they keep bringing him back, I guess they don't think Stuart will sign here which isn't surprising given his GF's situation with the state of California.

Man... the Leafs have been really cleaning house the last little bit. Raycroft (a 2.2 million backup) is bought out, talks of Tucker and McCabe being bought out, Sundin talking to other teams. For an acting GM, Cliff Fletcher sure is stirring the pot. Good for them, as much as I hate them I'm all for some more competition in my division.

Noticed Bertuzzi got placed on waivers for the purpose of being bought out, he's got 1 year left @ 4 mill. If he clears waivers and he'd take a nice size paycut I'd take him on the Wings, I think someone may claim him though before he gets bought out and becomes an FA. 4 mill for that guy is crazy but that seems to be the way things go in the league lately. Drake is going to retire so I wouldn't mind making a run at Bert or Tucker for that matter.

Congratulations to all the teams that snagged some good talent on UFA day.

Notables I saw:

Boston - Michael Ryder for 3 years, 12 million.

Rangers - Wade Redden, 6 years, 39 million. WTF are they thinking? He was a 6 million dollar defenceman pre-lockout. Post lockout he's a 3.5 million dollar defenceman.

Devils - Brian Rolston. He should fit in nicely

Chicago - Brian Campbell for 8 years, 56.8 million. Good for them

Detroit keeps Brad Stuart in town

and last but not least, Tampa Bay has been going insane trying to set a record for most off season moves.

Congratulations to all the teams that snagged some good talent on UFA day.

Notables I saw:

Boston - Michael Ryder for 3 years, 12 million.

Rangers - Wade Redden, 6 years, 39 million. WTF are they thinking? He was a 6 million dollar defenceman pre-lockout. Post lockout he's a 3.5 million dollar defenceman.

Devils - Brian Rolston. He should fit in nicely

Chicago - Brian Campbell for 8 years, 56.8 million. Good for them

Detroit keeps Brad Stuart in town

and last but not least, Tampa Bay has been going insane trying to set a record for most off season moves.

No mention of the Finger!?! Jeff Freaking Finger who's like 29 and has played 1 season in the NHL (and was a scratch in the playoffs I believe) got 14 mill out of the Leafs :eh

Cristobal Huet get's 22 mill out of Chicago?!? Didn't they learn anything from the Khabibulin signing? Brian Campbell is making more money than Nick Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski and he's not even on the same planet talent wise, crazy. Heard rumors of Vancouver offering Sundin 20 mill over 2 years and Hossa actually getting multiple year max salary offers. Good time to be a hockey player I guess.

Rangers also resigned ROZSIVAL and backup goalie Steve Valiquette.. and Signed... Aron Voros and Patrick Rissmiller

Yeah... it was late and I was trying to talk about 'notable' signings. ;)

No mention of the Finger!?! Jeff Freaking Finger who's like 29 and has played 1 season in the NHL (and was a scratch in the playoffs I believe) got 14 mill out of the Leafs :eh

Didn't see that in my late night surfing. That's messed up. 4 years, 3.5 a year for a defenceman that is over halfway to retirement and no big league experience. What's his story? Big time in euro or russian leagues with potential?

Brian Campbell is making more money than Nick Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski and he's not even on the same planet talent wise, crazy.

When did they last get new deals? The salary inflation this year is off the charts and I think his salary more reflects that than anything else. I'm not sure I'd build a hockey team around Campbell, so I'd tend to agree making him the highest paid guy is a bit silly.

Heard rumors of Vancouver offering Sundin 20 mill over 2 years and Hossa actually getting multiple year max salary offers. Good time to be a hockey player I guess.

I think it might be partly the cap raise up to 56 million, and the fact that a lot of these teams were playing well below cap. I think the salary sheet I looked up for Chicago this morning had them paying 33 mil in salaries last year. That gives them about 26 to spend, which is insane. I know here in Ottawa the cap raise doesn't mean much. The owner has always said he wants Murray to spend as close to the cap (leaving enough room to pull off some trades) as possible because he doesn't want underspending to be an excuse for poor playoff runs (it's so much more fun to blame Ray Emery and lack of heart of Jason Spezza/Dany Heatley).

Not so sure about that, he was...auditioning though I do believe :D

Hossa I believe is a great player, he's not the type of player that makes those around him look any better though, not a superstar. Detroit is the perfect fit for him, much like Stuart.