LCVG

Looking for a New Mouse...

PHiL

I currently have an MX1000 Logic Tech Mouse.... But I'm really getting tired of the dock charge it comes with... Its a pain in the ass to get it to charge..And if you walk away the littlest of air could undue the charge... Anyone using anything they are really happy with at the moment... Looking for a wireless One no wires.

I've never had a problem with the docking on my MX 1000. I've been through a lot of mice in my day, but I honestly don't ever see needing to change until this one dies.

Ditto. And only charge my MX1000 once every few weeks / once a month at most.

You might try cleaning the charging surfaces on the mouse and dock. You should be able to use a pencil eraser.

• 4 weeks later...
Phil

Any luck fixing your MX1000?

I guess I jinxed myself, my MX1000 receiver/dock has bit the dust. It'll work for a few minutes sometimes, othertimes I get a message that the USB device has malfunctioned.

:(

Nope I gave up... When I get back from vacation, I will Probably take some the advice and buy that NaNo

I ordered a replacement MX 5000 set - it's the bluetooth version of the MX1000 and a bluetooth keyboard - for $51 after coupon on ebay. I like my MX1000 too much.

Dunno what to do with the keyboard (I like my Saitek Eclipse II) but maybe it'll come in handy for the HTPC or I can use it with the PS3/Wii or something.

OK.

I got it in, and the default bluetooth stack was being overridden by the MS XP SP2 BT stack. Mouse was occasionally shaky...but with the Logitech Setpoint software off, it worked perfectly as a generic USB mouse :bh Time to hit google.

I spent an hour working on getting a better bluetooth stack...the one that Logitech ships is apparently not so hot per Logitech forums (older WIDCOMM stack). I learned a lot about bluetooth.

I found a newer WIDCOMM stack and installed it and the BT MX1000 seems to work great. I noticed a little bit of lag when my wi-fi network was under high load transferring photos from system to system (router about 5 feet from the mouse).

Anyway, a few days back I stole my wife's RF receiver from her laptop mouse as that would sync with the MX1000 (same frequency)...but at the loss of all fancy buttons - Setpoint wouldn't recognize it as an MX1000. Which is why I bought the bluetooth setup from ebay.

Anyway, I brought the working MX1000 charger as well as the mini RF receiver. I planned on replacing my MX518 at work with my MX1000...I don't need as many fancy buttons at work.

At work, the mouse worked PERFECTLY. No problems. Made me swear, I spent $50 I didn't really want to spend. Lately the range on the mouse was getting worse and worse so I wasn't surprised when it 'died'.

So it must have been RF interference. I thought wireless router or bluetooth interference or baby monitor. But MX1000 is at 27mhz, so none of those.

The mouse charger/receiver was sitting right next to my speakers & giant tube monitor previously...historically without problems. I brought it home again, moved the receiver way up to the top of my desk, above the monitor & speakers. Works perfectly now. Been using it all night to work and add this post.

:bh

Anyway, that was long. Now I have a spare Bluetooth MX1000, I guess I take it to work and put on my laptop docking station and use it there.

What I learned:

What I would say is I'm not sure I'd recommend a bluetooth mouse except as a mobile laptop device. My internet research and experience here...they seem to be problematic. Getting different BT stacks working was a major PITA. Stick with one of the RF models over a BT model.

I saw discussions saying there were less and less BT mice. Logitech seems to have gone to BT and now is back to RF mini-receivers (like the VX nano) I think because probably have less support issues (BT stack compatibility) and less possible interference than BT (which can conflict with wi-fi under certain conditions).

I've got one of the MS wireless notebook presenter 8000 mice for my laptop, and while it's definitely a nice portable notebook mouse (that can be flipped over to be used as a powerpoint remote-a feature I've used all of twice), it doesn't work near as well as the older RF model I had. The main problems are that it seems to lose connection a lot more often than the RF one, especially under high CPU load. I've had to re-pair it about half a dozen times since I got it (maybe 18 months ago now), which doesn't sound like a lot, but that's in addition to the points where it automatically loses/regains the signal. Then there's the batteries-the old MS RF mouse went through a single AA battery in a year of daily use, while this new one needs its 2 AAA batteries replaced about once every three or four months.

I was actually thinking about getting a rechargeable BT mouse for my home laptop to try to get around the battery issue, and to avoid having to plug a dongle into the machine every time I move it. It sounds like it might be worth just sticking with the RF version though...

I've got one of the MS wireless notebook presenter 8000 mice for my laptop, and while it's definitely a nice portable notebook mouse (that can be flipped over to be used as a powerpoint remote-a feature I've used all of twice), it doesn't work near as well as the older RF model I had. The main problems are that it seems to lose connection a lot more often than the RF one, especially under high CPU load. I've had to re-pair it about half a dozen times since I got it (maybe 18 months ago now), which doesn't sound like a lot, but that's in addition to the points where it automatically loses/regains the signal. Then there's the batteries-the old MS RF mouse went through a single AA battery in a year of daily use, while this new one needs its 2 AAA batteries replaced about once every three or four months.

I was actually thinking about getting a rechargeable BT mouse for my home laptop to try to get around the battery issue, and to avoid having to plug a dongle into the machine every time I move it. It sounds like it might be worth just sticking with the RF version though...

A couple of Logitech's newest mice have a tiny mini-receiver now that you could probably just leave in the USB port. I'd check those out.

I have a bluetooth laser notebook mouse I got for like $20, a V470. I use it once in a while when I'm oncall and working upstairs (away from my normal work-at-home setup which uses my desktop keyboard/mouse via Synergy).

It's OK. Battery life isn't quite as good as the older RF model but it's OK on a pair of AAs. I'm not sure if it's better than the RF notebook mouse (which until recently my wife had). I always found the tracking & feel of it wasn't up to par with my MX1000 somehow. I couldn't put my finger on it. Maybe it's bluetooth performance under CPU usage. I remember early USB mice sucked under CPU usage...I used PS2 mice only for a long time.

• 5 months later...

I love my MX1000.....until part of the smooth surface on the bottom of my mouse has worn out. Now it drags across every surface.

I'm looking into another good Logitech mouse and keyboard combo. Any suggestions? I'm going to avoid the MX Revolution for the time being, but I'm tempted.

Best Buy has the MX Revolution on sale for $40 I believe. I personally still feel the MX1000 is the best mouse ever made and I wish they'd release a new one that just improved the charging stand.

I need a new mouse for home and I'm thinking about going with the new MS Explorer with their new optical system.

I'm going to pick up a new wireless mouse, and keyboard for my new set up. Going to pick up the Revolution for the mouse, but any suggestions on a good wireless gaming keyboard?. Playing mostly single player stuff. Been using my Imac keyboard for a while, but want something for the gaming rig.

I recently picked up a new mouse, I got the MicroSoft Arc Mouse, so far I really like it. I've got large hands so some of those smaller notebook mice just don't do it for me, this ones full size but folds for pretty easy transport in a laptop bag. They normally run $60 but I caught em on sale for $40.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=112#

I love my MX1000.....until part of the smooth surface on the bottom of my mouse has worn out. Now it drags across every surface.

I'm looking into another good Logitech mouse and keyboard combo. Any suggestions? I'm going to avoid the MX Revolution for the time being, but I'm tempted.

http://www.slicksurf.com/

replacement mouse feet for the MX1000 and some other Logitech mice. Looking at like $4 shipped. Put them on my MX1000 and put a couple of the old feet on my ebay bluetooth MX1000 which I was using at work.

The slicksurf feet are even better than the stock feet.

I got so sick of the bluetooth MX1000 flaking out at work though when the CPU was under load, I went back to my wired MX610 and the BT MX1000 is in the spare-parts box. Ugh. RF is the way to go. I had the V470 Starhawk posted above for my work laptop though and it worked ok, though.

My original MX1000 only works on PS2 now for some reason via the USB->PS2 adapter. But it still works great, especially for an almost-5 yr old mouse.

Edited by GreenMonkey