LCVG

So, Austin.

dogbert

I'm going to be moving to Austin, TX, in a matter of weeks... I know we've got a bunch of forumites from around that area, so I thought I'd post to get some ideas/info on the area, and to warn you I'm coming :rock

I'll be working in the North-West part of Austin, near the Mo Pac / 183 intersection and want to live relatively close to work to minimize the commute. I'll be needing a 3 bedroom apartment for the family, though longterm we're going to buy a house hopefully. Any advice on complexes to look at or avoid will be greatly appreciated.

I lived in DFW for 5 years, so I'm not too worried about moving back to the heat, traffic etc but it's still going to be a shock to the system leaving San Francisco.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, they went very well ;) Great people with some good ideas on doing development "right". I'm really looking forward to getting down there and helping build the team. Nervous, of course, with the timing and the increased responsibility, but it's a good nervous.

Lots to do to get ready to move.

Brian, can we get on the inside and learn where you're working? Sounds like a bigger job? Details, we wants details. :)

I think there are enough Oklahoma & Texas LCVG'ers for a Texas meet. Let's make that happen at some point. I'm getting pretty sick of reading about all these NYC guys getting together. ;)

Brian, can we get on the inside and learn where you're working? Sounds like a bigger job? Details, we wants details. :)

Actually, it's not a "bigger" job at all. It's a bigger role, but I'll be working on casual PC games aimed at 35+ year old women. I'm getting off the AAA console bandwagon before it kills me :) New studio, part of a much bigger company, chance to make a great impact on a new team etc. Looking forward to it.

That's awesome, Brian! Really looking forward to meeting you in the flesh. You won't be living very far away from me, I am just a bit more central...between I-35 and Mopac in the Lamar/2222 area.

Not sure about apartment complexes much, but I can ask around. The traffic really isn't as bad as DFW, especially if you are staying away from I-35. Not saying it's great, but it doesn't drive me bonkers like Houston used to. It is FRICKIN' hot right now though, it got much hotter much earlier than usual this year, everything is going to be baked and brown when you arrive, hah.

I'll be happy to assist you with getting re-acquainted with tex-mex and margaritas. We even have a new little piece of Dallas here, a Flying Saucer which I am loving very much...I have been trying many, many new beers.

PM me if there is anything I can do to assist with the move down and I'll do my best.

Thanks, guys. I'm very familiar with the Flying Saucer in Addison from days at Paradigm. Good times. It was bloody warm when I was in town last week looking at the office etc, but I'll get used to it again really quickly I'm sure. My wife's really looking forward to good tex-mex again, but she'll have to skip on the margaritas until after the baby's born in August ;)

PM me if there is anything I can do to assist with the move down and I'll do my best.

I'll keep you posted ;)

I'm right down the road in San Antonio... although I might be relocating up to Austin in the next few months (my company has spread a lot of their operation up there).

We should all do a night at the Drafthouse & Flying Saucer. I love going to our Saucer here in SA on Monday for $2.75 Pint night.

Wow, Brian, that sounds like a great opportunity! Congrats! It doesn't seem like that long ago that we first met when you were out here looking for a place to live...

Indeed, it's been a fun couple of years. We'll have to have dinner and a beer or two at Chow before I leave ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Car transport is booked for the 10th. Mover has been and done a pre-move survey, so the movers are booked for the 10th. Travel request is in for the 11th, and the temporary accommodation will be booked for the 11th too.

We've dropped off two car loads of "stuff" to Salvation Army. Our spare twin bed will be getting picked up on Friday by someone in the neighbourhood (have I said how much our neighbours and the area rock? I will miss Baker Beach and the cool people there). Goodwill are picking up an oversized chair on Tuesday. Our two computer desks will go sometime this week.

So it's all happening very, very quickly!

Holy crap, as in next weekend you are on your way? Amazing.

Yep :) Quite a few people here at Lucas are surprised just how quick we're moving. Pogo wants me there as soon as possible and the relocation people (Aires) we're dealing with have been fantastic so far. Luckily our rental lease has already expired and gone month to month so we've nothing really holding us back. My wife's due middle of August which is another reason to get the move done ASAFP ;)