LCVG

Mega Man 9

GreenMonkey

http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12136

So far it is only confirmed for WiiWare.

The retro 8-bit graphics design is nifty.

With Mega Man 2 as the most highly regarded of the series, Inafune states that he'd like to surpass that with this game, and hopefully be able to make "a whole lot more."

And finally, to the Mega Man fans, he says: "The moment you've been waiting for is here! We're not just giving you Mega Man 9, we're giving you a new NES game. This is a game that brings back the fun of the old games, and I hope you all enjoy it!"

Yay!

• 2 weeks later...

What in the hell is with this 8-bit looking horseshit? Is Capcom serious? I mean we're into this new generation with stunning HD visuals and now they expect me to stop all of that and play some shitty loo.....

OK I can't seriously finish that last sentence.:lol I saw screenshots of it some weeks ago and thought it was some fan made pics or something but then I saw the official press stuff from Capcom and was really suprised! It's kind of neat but definitely ballsy of them to go back to the 8-bit retro look. I'm happy to see it hit the PSN and XBLA too.

Honestly, I think this is 100% marketing ploy. I do not think a genius developer sat down and thought "You know what would make the next mega-man the best it could be..." Instead I think some marketing guy said , "What if the next Mega Man looked like a NES game, wouldn't that be funny?"

If this game is $10-$15 I'll buy it. But I won't admit the game will be more fun because of this marketing ploy. I mean, one of the biggest challenges for game franchises is making them seem fresh. Halo 3 is a fantastic game. But the whole experience has become very familiar which drags on the experience for me. This happens with all game franchises and even genres eventually.

So for Mega Man to go backward like this, while the nostalgia will fuel the fun for a while, The tired formula will catch up to it very quickly I believe. More so than if they modernized it. While watching the video I swear to god I've already played through about half of what they showed. Was that really a NEW game? I found myself noticing new stuff, saying to myself "Oh, that's new, that's definitely from a new game."

Honestly, I think this is 100% marketing ploy. I do not think a genius developer sat down and thought "You know what would make the next mega-man the best it could be..." Instead I think some marketing guy said , "What if the next Mega Man looked like a NES game, wouldn't that be funny?"

For once I actually don't disagree with you there. I think marketing the nostalgia is a HUGE part of this Megaman release (if the trailer didn't make it anymore obvious). I don't think going with the 8-Bit angle precludes it from being the best Megaman game they want to make either. A Megaman 9 with next gen visuals isn't gaurenteed to make the game more "fun" either as several updated Megaman titles have proven. In the end, as long as the game provides a good gameplay experience at the right price (I'm willing to pay $5-10 bucks for it) and going back to basics works for them - I'll go along for that ride.

Stupid question, but don't you also think the decision to keep it low tech was also in the interest of hitting that $5-10 price point?

Bionic Commando Rearmed is hitting for $10 Jason, did they need to make that low tech to hit that price point? More to your point though, I'm sure Capcom learned a bit of a lesson from Rearmed as it was not a cheap remake to do for them and they'll need to amass some great sales from it on XBLA and the PSN to recoup the cost. I would imagine keeping Megaman 9 low tech will help with development costs associated with the getting the game out.

If you're making a 2D game, that is, if the gameplay is 2D, it is going to be a budget game compared to a 3D game. Think of all the art assets that go into one level of Gears of War. THAT is a huge part of the expense, along with of course writing AI to make things happen across all that 3D space. My point is, had they made a Mega Man sidescrolling game but with 3D assets, it wouldn't automatically have been colosally more expensive like creating a true 3D megaman would.

My point is, had they made a Mega Man sidescrolling game but with 3D assets, it wouldn't automatically have been colosally more expensive like creating a true 3D megaman would.

In terms of creating a true next gen 3D Megaman - well of course not. I can tell you though that specifically in the case of Bionic Commando, the cost of making Rearmed was only "budget" when compared to the high priced nature of your average 3D game released on store shelves. Comparing it to other downloadable titles I think you'll find it will end up very much near the top of the scale.

Let's say, for the sake of argument though, that the original Bionic Commando didn't exist and Capcom was creating this new game from scratch - I'd take a guess and say that if they decided on the game featuring the relatively simple 2D sprites you see in Megaman 9, the project would have benefitted from a less inflated budget (and there's a ton of other things to take into consideration before stating that as a fact). That's a semi-educated guess but a pretty confident one. Afterall, you seem to be quite confident in the estimation that throwing in 3D assets adds very little cost to the development process. I suppose the point is you can't flatly state what is or isn't "colossally more expensive" without knowing the variables (manpower/time, good/bad management of the project, design goals etc.).

On the flipside of things you have something like Street Fighter II HD which is just eating up development dollars for Capcom as well. That's a 2D game with an entirely different level of complication. The delays and the development problems have just added more and more to the budget. An 8-Bit Megaman is probably a dream come true for them.:lol

Well, using 3D vector art assets has its own cost/time saving factors that 2D graphics do not. And depending on how you approach the project, you can offset the upfront costs of making 3D models with gains such as animation tweening, art perspective changes, and environmental effects.

So while of course there is a gap between NES-level 2D graphics and Gears of War 3D graphics, there are also many many levels in between. There are even levels lighter than REARMED and significantly more modern than Mega Man 9. Mega Man 3-8 might even be examples and they were all 2D weren't they?

Anyway, I would have appreciated a little something more. And I hope this doesn't become a trend. Unless they are only charging $5. Then fine. If it looks like a $5 game and they're charging $5 then who am I to complain. But they probably won't charge that. They'll probably charge twice that.

So while of course there is a gap between NES-level 2D graphics and Gears of War 3D graphics, there are also many many levels in between.

My point exactly. There's just no definitive way for us to say what kind of cost savings/additions would have been made to the project without knowing more about it at the design level. We don't know what kind of metamorphosis occured from the first mention of Megaman 9 at Capcom HQ to the game we see in front of us today.

We spoke a little earlier about this new game being marketing driven to help sell the nostalgia (a salient point). Was the game ever meant to fit into any of those modern "levels" you mention? At the end of the day if this was always envisioned as a retro throwback than this conversation is irrelevant conjecture. The cost analysis of adding 3D is pointless as it might have never been a consideration.

My underlying point in mentioning Street Fighter II HD (another excellent example of the "levels" you mention) and Bionic Commando is that both titles have proven to be expensive endeavors for Capcom. My conceit with Megaman is that not only is it marketing driven but it may also be cost driven as releasing an 8-Bit Retro addition to the franchise may have looked remarkably good to them at a cost level on paper. Which leads to this...

Mega Man 3-8 might even be examples and they were all 2D weren't they?

Well, Megaman 7 and 8 would certainly count. Megaman 1-6 all released on the original NES and are easily visual peers to what we've seen in Megaman 9. That opens up a good question though - is Megaman 9 really ALL of what we think it is? I mean we've seen a purely retro looking game and as you note there hasn't been much shown that Megaman fans aren't already familiar with. However, there's nothing stopping Capcom from adding some interesting wrinkles to the formula including effects you may not expect to see out of an 8-Bit game and more.

Now, I can't say that definitively but the possibility is there. It's just as likely Megaman 9 is just a plain old throwback to the Megaman games of old. Which I'm not opposed to either mind you. The last Megaman game I played that I thought was worth a damn was on the PSP and it was a light hearted 3D remake of the original (ironic huh?).

Anyway, I would have appreciated a little something more.

Which is entirely fair. I'm sure many others share your opinion on that. However, value is subjective and there are those that would find Megaman 9 worth the $10 dollars(which is the price I also feel it will arrive at).

In additional news, Mega Man and Mega Man 2 will soon be coming to the Virtual Console!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/888/888041p1.html

It's about time! I've been waiting for these games since the Wii came out. I'm glad Capcom's finally deciding to jump on the bandwagon with some of its Mega Man titles. I will definitely be getting these when they are released.

• 2 months later...

So, I've been working my way through this one. I've managed to defeat all of the robot bosses and make it to Dr. Wily's castle. (I hope I didn't ruin anything for those of you who have not played the game yet.) Unfortunately, that mad scientist has never had level designers this malicious in any of the old games. Yes, that even includes the original Mega Man for those of you keeping score.

Seriously, this is about as hard as it gets for an old-school 8-bit game. Maybe it's not up to the caliber of something like Battletoads but it is very, very tough. The platform jumps in particular are very unforgiving. Spikes populate a seemingly hopeless percentage of the levels and one false move will land the Blue Bomber right on top of them. What's worse, you have to finish the Dr. Wily stages in one sitting. If you turn off the game and come back to it, you have to start at the beginning of the castle, even if you save.

This game is totally going to bust my balls before I'm done. And I couldn't be happier.

Agree with JFo. MM2 was one of my very favorite NES games back in the day (and after some sodomy thanks to MM9, I played a bit of WiiWare MM2 last night for a break). MM9 was a no-brainer.

I'm only through 6 of the Robot Masters, but I've recalibrated my difficulty meter for this. It's harder than MM1, the previous record holder. Fiendish is the correct word. Like JFo, I am really digging it. The best $10 in gaming I've spent this year (though I have yet to get Rearmed), and just pure pleasure (mixed in with some rage).

I'll put it this way, I've actually paused to wipe the sweat from my button fingers when trying some of the harder sections. To me...that is old-school.

Anyways, special thanks to Capcom on delivering this.

I dont know why I bought this game! LOL

The memories I guess, the memories of me getting so frustrated that I could break my freaking nes controllers (never did). Dear god! This game is like a horrid love affair for me. One minute I'm in love with it....the next minute I want a divorce! LOL

All i know is that I'm having stressful fun with the game. That's right. STRESSFUL FUN.

Got that damn tune of when you first go into a level to fight. Cant get it out of my head.....aghhhhhh! Been stuck with me since Wednesday afternoon!

Here it comes again! :)

Friday night, I did something I haven't done with a video game in a long time. I left my Wii on overnight so that I could come back to Mega Man 9 the next day and pick up where I left off. Normally, the save function of most games would allow me to shut down the console and pick up where I left off. As I mentioned earlier though, you must finish the Dr. Wily levels in one sitting, and saving doesn't do you any good here.

I made it to the fourth level of his castle, which is where you fight all of the robot masters again. As much as I wanted to keep going, I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. So, rather than give up and start over, I left the console on and picked up where I left off the next day. Not that this did me any good, of course. Even though I managed to beat all eight bosses again, Dr. Wily did me in very quickly.

I've decided that I need to stock up on energy tanks and other supplies before venturing forth into the mad scientist's castle. If I can get good enough where I don't need to use them until the very end of the game, I might have a chance at defeating him. Otherwise, I'm going to get my ass kicked very quickly. Wish me luck!

I've made it to the Wily-Third Stage boss (and it's a toughie). I've gotten good at the first two stages (and the third is easy, but with a hard boss). I have a load out to start with nine extra men, 6 energy tanks, and 1 mystery tank. That gets me to the third stage easy (most of my deaths are instant via spike or pits) with most of the tanks. I need some time to memorize the third Wily Stage boss (it's the same thing over and over, but it takes a while to beat, so it's an exercise in patience)...so I have to get to him again and practice. Like JFo said, I need to get there with energy tanks.

I really do love this game. It's got a lot of fun ideas and creativity in using the 8-bit concept but doing new things.

Should beat it pretty soon, though.