LCVG

Deadliest Catch and After the Catch

PHiL

I know there's alot of us here who watch the show.. Show I thought We can chat about it here..

Even if you never checked out the Show.. Its on Discovery Channel and Discovery HD.. It follows a fleet of Crab Fishermen into the Bearing Sea in Alaska.. These guys are nuts so you should check it out..

Also for those that have been watching Set your tivos for the Show After the Catch.. They have all the captains and some of there brothers sit down at a round table and discuss different things every week... Its pretty exciting listening to them tell stores about there lives on and off the fishing boats.

I really like both shows. After the Catch is great but I wish they didn't try to steer the discussion so much and just let the captains chew the fat.

I agree... Sig doesn't talk much,but him and edgar in the same room its priceless.

This show is gaining its popularity, and the game keeps you interested all the time:)

I've tried to watch the show a few times, seeing as it seems to be a popular show, and honestly I don't get the show.

I mean, I know what they're doing is dangerous and they stand to make a shitload of money, but really, why does anyone care?

I mean, reality TV has plagued and infected this country worse than most diseases to the point where the only thing that saves you is the very thing that serves to kill you.

It's gotten to where anything is fair game now for the voyeuristic US audience.

Watching people try to throw each under , under the bus on on a tropical island, watching which no talent hack singer becomes an "Idol", racist bounty hunters, zillions of house makeovers, pissed off arrogant chefs, money grubbing ho's looking for a quick cash husband, etc. etc.

The list just goes ON AND ON!

And yes, I do exercise my ability to change the channel, but it goes beyond just something I don't like to watch.

It makes me wonder what the state of mind is the general public?

Have we nothing else in us anymore than to watch what other people are actually DOING?????

You know?

Anyway, sorry to "rant" on this thread, but it was just something that sparked in my head.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread! :-)

I don't view Deadliest Catch on the same level of Survivor, Big Brother, The Apprentice or the many other "reality" television programs. I don't enjoy too much reality telelvision, but there are a couple programs I do enjoy. I think a lot of the programs on Discovery are interesting and informative, and in the case of Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs, etc., let's me know a little bit about a lifestyle that I had no knowledge of. I'm never going to be on a crab-boat in Alaska, so I find it interesting to watch other people "do" that.

Well, I'll pull back putting Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs, and other shows similar to that, out of the "reality shows" category, because they ARE informative about different areas of life.

I guess because of being so bombarded by so much "reality tv" it just makes me a little touchy! lol :)

I religiously watch both of these shows but After the Catch is getting a bit old quickly. Speaking of what Todd said, if I had to work a boat for 1 season it would be the Time Bandit for sure. To me the crew is better and he doesn't grind them to death.

I religiously watch both of these shows but After the Catch is getting a bit old quickly. Speaking of what Todd said, if I had to work a boat for 1 season it would be the Time Bandit for sure. To me the crew is better and he doesn't grind them to death.

Agreed. Both Jonathan and Andy seem like they would be good to work for.

• 1 year later...

Sad but expected. Phil didn't change his health practices after the first incident with his health. To continue down that same destructive path put him in the ground. You can't continue doing the same thing and expect a different result. He said it himself when he went into the hospital that he should have died.

Honestly, it's amazing that any of them live into old age. You just can't abuse your body like that and expect it to keep ticking.

36 hours working straight through in sub zero weather...fuck that!!!!!

And I always thought working outside at the airport on midnight shift in the winter was bad! Those guys have me beat hands down!!!!

Honestly, it's amazing that any of them live into old age. You just can't abuse your body like that and expect it to keep ticking.

36 hours working straight through in sub zero weather...fuck that!!!!!

And I always thought working outside at the airport on midnight shift in the winter was bad! Those guys have me beat hands down!!!!

After watching First few Episodes of Season 1 .. I was hooked.. and Yes they are all nuts.. And No i would never see myself surviving on one of those boats.

I can just see the poor guy crossing the pearly gates, in awe of all he's seeing, and immediately getting accosted by Anthony for an autograph. I know he was a big fan of the show as well, many a time did I look through my friends list to see Anthony and Phil playing the Deadliest Catch video game together and wondering how much of a hassle it would be to get an intervention going for those 2.

I can just see the poor guy crossing the pearly gates, in awe of all he's seeing, and immediately getting accosted by Anthony for an autograph. I know he was a big fan of the show as well, many a time did I look through my friends list to see Anthony and Phil playing the Deadliest Catch video game together and wondering how much of a hassle it would be to get an intervention going for those 2.

:) Your so right... We were on that game for hours..... Just shooting the shit about the crews... The conversation up their right now will never be stopped by anyone lol:)

• 4 months later...

This weeks episode of Deadliest Catch was the heaviest I think I've seen (certainly without containing some kind rescue). Hardly any fishing, and drama on ever boat.... culminating in Phil's stroke. I can't imagine how Jake was feeling during that.

As tough as last week's episode was to watch, tonight's was even worse. My wife was an emotional wreck when the captains started telling their crews about Phil's stroke and his condition. I think it's harder because we know the outcome of this tale and the fact that all of it really happened.

• 2 weeks later...