LCVG

What to do with digipacks?

dogbert

Whenever I buy a CD, it gets ripped and stored on my PC. Almost all of my music listening then comes from that mp3, whether off the PC or my Zune etc. If the CD is in a standard jewel case, it goes in a big giant folder, with the case thrown away, but I keep the inlays etc, sticking them in a big box, just in case I ever want to sell the CD etc.

The trouble I have is digipacks - those cardboard cases that CDs often come in. I hate 'em, but I have total pangs of doubt about just throwing them away. I still have this dream of buying a house and having a room filled with all my CDs, games, books etc, but I'm realistic enough to know that's never going to happen. So I have a couple of boxes now filled with digipacks and inlays etc. With our upcoming move, it's making me seriously consider stripping the CDs out of these digipacks and throwing them but I know I'll regret it. I knows!

What would you do?

I'll add some input

I used to collect tons of stuff and hoard all the stuff and get hung up on making sure it was all complete and pretty. Slipcovers, anime DVD bonuses like figures and stickers and postcards. Super-special edition DVDs, etc.

Now, even if the DVD or videogame slipcover is pretty much the exact same cover as the inside, I chuck it - a bunch of these just eat up space that could be used for another DVD or game. Now I stick with just the game or the DVD in standard packaging.

I'm not hoarding nearly as much stuff any more - partially because the kids have taken up a lot of formerly free space in the house, and also I've realized a lot of that stuff had no real point. I was shuffling it from apartment to house to house until we bought our house and for what point?

I really prefer the DVDs in our big Ikea bookcases to browse through. I didn't have room for CDs on my shelf there any more though, so they are relegated to the closet and to the media server.

That said I still hold onto original cases and the like. If I had more room I'd store them just like the DVDs.

I did something like you except I've been keeping the CD jewel cases in a big plastic storage bin. I think I'll do like you and strip the stuff out of them and put them in a binder - would save me some space. Thanks for the idea.

I'm down to keeping the essentials - that means just the cases, inserts, etc. I don't think I would part with those. Even if I don't end up putting the CDs back on a shelf I may need to resell them for a few bucks each someday.

I'm not hoarding nearly as much stuff any more - partially because the kids have taken up a lot of formerly free space in the house, and also I've realized a lot of that stuff had no real point. I was shuffling it from apartment to house to house until we bought our house and for what point?

I did something like you except I've been keeping the CD jewel cases in a big plastic storage bin. I think I'll do like you and strip the stuff out of them and put them in a binder - would save me some space. Thanks for the idea.

I'm down to keeping the essentials - that means just the cases, inserts, etc. I don't think I would part with those. Even if I don't end up putting the CDs back on a shelf I may need to resell them for a few bucks each someday.

I've got a lot of CDs. I started the stripping when I moved to the States back in 2000, there's been a lot of moves in between so it's definitely been good for me... But the digipacks have always been kept "whole" and it's annoying me :)

For some reason, we haven't done this with DVDs... We did trim the collection by about half when we moved to San Francisco a few years ago, so there's a lot less space taken up - exactly one Target shelf :) They'll all go in a rubbermaid for the move...

Still no decision on digipacks. I want to get rid of them. It's the right thing to do. But I just can't bring myself to get of them. Damn.

I hate all the packaging that comes with CD's. I buy a CD, rip it, throw away all the packaging except the cover art and never play the actual CD again. If I need a copy of the music on disc I'll burn a copy.

Digipacks are a pain the ass. At first I would break out the old xacto knife and cut out the cover art. That didn't last long. I just don't care about the album art anymore. However, I know a lot of people do and there is a large community who share high quality cover art on the 'net. Just print them out and store them with the CD.

http://www.allcdcovers.com is one site that has a good reputation. They don't have a lot of indie stuff but the database appears to grow significantly every time I visit. There are others but my mind is drawing a blank at the moment.

I put my CD's & the art in a plastic Sleeve and they are stored in alphabetical order inside a couple DJ media cases. These are metal cases with a padded interior designed specifically for CD storage. They are extremely durable and have a handle for portability.

The plastic CD sleeves I use are like the ones pictured here: http://www.sleevetown.com/plastic-cd-sleeves.shtml

The 3rd one down is the style I use. They can easily fit the CD + an average sized insert booklet.

The CD storage cases I use are here: http://www.eurolitecase.com/cd-dj-cases.html

I also have alphabetical dividers which fit perfectly in the case but I can't remember where I got them.