LCVG

VGMix.com Relaunches!

JFo

Forever ago and an age, I read about VGMix.com, a website devoted solely to the craft of video game music. Specifically, those with musical abilities and a passion for video game music would take tunes from their favorite games and remix them, often fleshing out and improving upon tunes that were hindered by the limitations of old gaming systems. Sometimes they would compose the song in the style by which it was originally written in the game, while others completely re-imagined it with pulsing techno beats, stunning orchestral arrangements, and even the occasional jazz styling.

Granted, the quality of the compositions depended greatly on the arranger's abilities, and some tunes sounded so god-awful as to induce a perfectly sane individual to drive a corkscrew into his or her inner-ear. As frustrating as it was at times to weed your way through the crap, you would usually be rewarded with an arrangement of a song that truly pleased. In the best instances you would find an arrangement of a song you never really cared for previously, but was brought to life by the new arrangement. It was for this reason, I visited the site a couple times a week and downloaded as much material as I could cram onto my overstuffed hard drive.

Sadly, a little over a year ago, financial difficulties forced the site's owner to shut VGMix down. However, he did promise that it would eventually re-launch with a plethora of new features. Much time passed, and I began to doubt whether we'd ever see the site reborn. Finally, last week it returned and with a whole host of new compositions ready be to downloaded and heard.

I highly recommend that those of you who have ever had a catchy in-game tune stuck in your head to check out this site. You will be glad you did. As a means of getting started, here are a couple of direct links to some of the better remixes from the sites re-launch (Click on the link below, and then right-click on the download button and select "Save Target As"):

I'll let you all have a look at the rest of the songs currently available. There are also numerous other Metroid arrangements as well as ones from several Mega Man games, the Final Fantasy series and various Mario games. Enjoy!

• 3 months later...

Hey, I've been sifting through the stuff at Overclocked and found a couple new mp3s that are just awesome, so thread resurrection time.

The Ancient Hero remix for Zelda: Wind Waker is a fabulous piece of orchestral, you really have to hear the job they do on the classic Zelda theme right in the middle of it. Absolutely beautiful.

'Pirates of Dragon Roost Isle' is another Wind Waker one, a little more up tempo. The first thirty seconds are slow but it really picks up shortly thereafter.

Finally, Horteka Stomp is a catchy little Skies of Arcadia remix. Good tunage. Now to hunt for more ;).

Not exactly in the same basket, but I got the Adam Freeland (as just Freeland) album 'Now & Them' for Valentines, and its got a particularly nice version of Mindkiller on it, otherwise known as Rez Level 5.

Its also got one of my favorite tracks from The Animatrix on it, but thats another story.

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Feb 20 2004, 08:00 AM

Hey, I've been sifting through the stuff at Overclocked and found a couple new mp3s that are just awesome, so thread resurrection time.

The Ancient Hero remix for Zelda: Wind Waker is a fabulous piece of orchestral, you really have to hear the job they do on the classic Zelda theme right in the middle of it. Absolutely beautiful.

Oh man, THANKS Pharmboy! I missed this thread the last time it was at the top of the page. I'm going to be spending a lot of time here. That Ancient Hero remix is just amazing! It's one of the most impressive remixes I've ever heard. I just can't believe the job they did with the classic theme.

I'm going to be hunting through a bunch of these! :D

I'll post back later with some favorites.

I like http://www.ocremix.org and ww.vgmusic.com alot. I can find all of my favorite video game music there. I sometimes, if I really like the game music, rip it right off of my Gamecube to Musicmatch and burn. My latest one was a Sonic Heros CD. Any way...

Shout out to all former Triton Labs forums members!

(First Post)

[/geek]

• 2 months later...

Hey, just a quick bump up to let people who don't normally visit the site know that Overclocked Remix just switched to a new revamp of the site and djpretzel posted up a SLEW of new remixes to mark the occasion.

The two Zelda 3 remixes there on the front page are well worth your time and effort if you like game remixes at all :tu:

• 4 months later...

In response to Jeremy's request in the Free Games thread, I'm posting a link to the Star Control 2 remixes here :).

http://www.ocremix.org/detailgame.php?gameid=351

That'll take you to the main SC2 page. The Crimson Corporation one is my least favorite, but I never liked that song a helluva lot in the original, so go figure.

The hyperspace remix is fantastic though; a great listen.

The Angles of space one is also tres bien, but hyperspace is my pick if you must just download one.

As before, be advised that OCRemix is lousy with pop-ups.