LCVG

Squirrel in my House

foogledricks

You know that scene from Xmas Vacation. Where the squirrel was in the house and they were all freak'n out, scheming to catch it. That was tonight. Squirrel was found in our kid's playroom. Don't ask me how or when it got in. We spent 3 hours trying to get it, moving everything out of the room, putting her MBA and my brilliant software development skills to the test. We passed.

In the end the day was won by her scaring it from her side of the couch to my side where I throw a sheet on top, threw him in a trash barrel, and brought him outside where I took this picture:

DSC00397.jpg

I thought protocol was to cover it with a jacket and smack it with a hammer?

I killed one with an ASP baton before, I had been loaned to the specialty division of a pest control company I was working for at the time, I carried the baton because my usual route was in some not so good neighborhoods. Anyway, we got called to some really nice house in the suburbs on a squirrel, it was just sitting on the fireplace so I walked up and whacked it over the head, lady who owned the house freaked, the guy I was working with freaked, apparently you aren't allowed to do that. Long story short, I was back to doing roaches and rats the next day.

I thought protocol was to cover it with a jacket and smack it with a hammer?

I killed one with an ASP baton before, I had been loaned to the specialty division of a pest control company I was working for at the time, I carried the baton because my usual route was in some not so good neighborhoods. Anyway, we got called to some really nice house in the suburbs on a squirrel, it was just sitting on the fireplace so I walked up and whacked it over the head, lady who owned the house freaked, the guy I was working with freaked, apparently you aren't allowed to do that. Long story short, I was back to doing roaches and rats the next day.

I'm surprised you didn't use a high caliper sniper rifle.

You know that scene from Xmas Vacation. Where the squirrel was in the house and they were all freak'n out, scheming to catch it. That was tonight. Squirrel was found in our kid's playroom. Don't ask me how or when it got in. We spent 3 hours trying to get it, moving everything out of the room, putting her MBA and my brilliant software development skills to the test. We passed.

In the end the day was won by her scaring it from her side of the couch to my side where I throw a sheet on top, threw him in a trash barrel, and brought him outside where I took this picture:

DSC00397.jpg

Instead of throwing a sheet on top of him wouldn't it have been easier to just say "Joel, go home"?

My grade 7 teacher said a squirrel got into his washing machine one time. It scared the crap out of him and he grabbed a broom to knock it on its head. After a few seconds, the squirrel popped its head again and he repeated to hit it on its head with the broom. It was like whack-a-mole.

I had hoped I would have had at least half as many interesting stories as Mr. Stevens by my age :(

That is a flying squirrel and it probably got in through your attic. They can squeeze through any space your flat hand can fit in to. They are nocturnal so the best time to try to seal your roof line, and or roof vents is at night when they are off getting food. Setting live traps also works well (put in the attic/garage - where ever they are). If you do not mind killing them, industrial sticky tape works well to catch them - make sure you secure the sticky tape down or the squirrel will just drag it behind them. I don't suggest using poison - they will just die in your house in some inaccessible spot and slowly rot. Good luck getting rid of them - they are never alone either!

I haven't encountered a squirrel in the house but I did see my dog chase one down and proceed to get it into his mouth. My dog was all "hey look a toy" and that poor thing just went into cardiac arrest. :) I'm just glad my dog is up on his shots. Them squirrels are cute but they are disease infested rodents. If I ever saw one in the house I wouldn't hesitate to kill it.

Good luck getting rid of them - they are never alone either!

That was my first thought too. :eek

Keeping the movie theme going,... you start out with the squirrel scene from Christmas Vacation, get visited by the lunatic pest control guy from Over the Hedge, and finish up with a no one's favorite 80's movie The Money Pit. :D

Just did some research and the squirrel might be what's called a sugar glider which is a pet, native to Australia, that you need a license to own in Mass. So it is possible that someone lost their squirrel and it was seeking refuge in my house. I just put it outside sentencing it to death.

Or it could be one of "40" flying squirrels in my attic. Do I dare go up and look?

It's ok we have a mouse in the house. Was seen 5 days ago, but not since

We have pulled a total of 22 field mice out of our house over the last 5 years or so. We have a running contract with Terminix whereby we pay them a lot of money every year and they lay a bunch of 20 cent snap traps with peanut butter and then come back every few weeks to remove the dead rodents. God forbid they actually find where the mice are coming in and plug it...why kill the golden goose?

BTW, peanut butter works for squirrels as well, both in live traps and in sticky ones.

It was me vs. the mouse a week ago last Saturday. Saw it run into the bedroom closet and I immediately sprang into action! Traps, both glu and snappers, and held a big-ass stick my daughter calls "the dog whacker." The little shit kept sticking it's nose out from under the closed door (I had the traps all along the area) until it finally got greedy and got stuck on the glue trap, jumped, and landed right on a snapper! So, when I went to pick it up, the son of a bitch moved in that trap like a freaking Romero mouse zombie, or something, and I dang near pissed myself! The Dog Whacker then finished the ordeal.

My grandma always used to have a problem with bats getting in the house, happened once a year or so. It's one of those huge old Victorian lumber-baron houses... 2 stories, 3 bathroom, 5 bedroom house... with 15-foot ceilings + attic + basement. Bats got in through the attic somehow.

When my grandpa was alive he had a "bat racket" - a big tennis racket he would whack the bat out of the air with.

It's just my grandma and my aunt now...A few years back a dying/sick bat crawled up near my aunt's feet who was sitting on the chair - I guess it scared the hell out of her when she looked down. They put a trash barrel over it until my dad could stop over and deal with it.

Squirrel story: They were hearing noises in the wall. Turns out whatever blocked off the chimney on the roof developed a hole in it and a squirrel got stuck in there somehow. The chimney had been long walled over, so the noises were coming from the wall. They had to break a hole in the wall and get the squirrel out...who was dead by the time they arrived and got the job done.

Not so sure on the peanut butter on sticky trap idea, any glue trap I've ever had experience with the release was vegetable oil (had to know that for all the dogs and kids that got stuck in them), when you let peanut-butter sit out the oil tends to separate and pool up, could possibly let something you want stuck get unstuck.

We live in old army housing built in the 50s, so it's not the best quality housing. We regularly get mice running across the attic crawlspace above our heads at night, which is a fantastic scurrying sound all night long.

And because we're in a national park, the pest control guy isn't supposed to use poisons etc to deal with them. But he does anyway which is nice of him ;)