LCVG

DC Universe (PS3)

Tonner Cyn

IGN has posted some shots from the upcoming DC Universe MMO. I haven't heard much about this one in a long time so I'm glad to see that something is happening with it. It was mentioned in the Edge thread that they have an article about the game. I'd be curious to hear what they have to report. Looking at the screenshots, it almost looks like you are going to be playing as established heroes, or at least have some significant interaction with them. Any word on more details? Is this going to have any presence at E3?

It's the first I heard about this. But from the article, it looks like you create your own hero/villian and drop him/her in a superhero city of your choice. And depending on the city, you encounter the stars of the city (along with everyone else, of course).

Sounds exciting. I didn't even know the Marvel version was cancelled until I read the feedback on the IGN thread.

Keep hoping....:lol
I just don't think that business model is going to see much success on consoles. Hell, the gameplay approach is unproven on consoles, throw in a $60+ monthly fee on top of that and they'll never get off the ground. Give me the game for free if you're going to charge me a monthly fee. Or charge me microtranactions instead. Or expansion packs. Or whatever.

Looking at the screenshots, it almost looks like you are going to be playing as established heroes, or at least have some significant interaction with them.

This is mentioned in the Edge article. You do not play as established heroes, but the world is filled with them and there's significant interaction with them. The backstory of the game is something has caused a load of new superheroes to be created, which is where the players come in.

I was quite intrigued by the article, more so than I expected. Though it does still seem to be a long way off.

Wasn't the Final Fantasy MMO pretty huge?

It was a success, yes. It was also a compelling game based on a compelling franchise. The "business model" for an MMO will work fine on a console as long as you provide a compelling reason for someone to pay that monthly fee. Phantasy Star Online also provided a successful experience for console owners requiring a monthly fee.

Now that having been said, I don't disagree with Keith that charging $60 bucks on top of the fee is problematic. Most PC MMO's release initially in the $40-$50 range and drop quickly. I think console MMO's would do well to release at $40 and go from there if they want to see added success. Either way, I'm eager to see how these up and coming console MMO's work out in the market (Age of Conan, DC Universe, Marvel Online, Huxley etc.)

Honestly, I thing console owners are wanting some good MMO's to play on their PS3's and 360's. As long as the games are good, people will not care to pay the monthly fee. I have no problem paying $60 for a MMO, as long as they up the free period from 1 month to 2 months.

-Dean-

Hmm, I hadn't considered the free period. That is my biggest problem. I won't even try something if I have to pay a monthly fee right off the bat. So if it is free for two months, I might do that. Though perhaps Ii would rent it from gamefly during that time period then choose to keep it if I liked it.

• 3 weeks later...

More video has been put up recently at IGN and GameTrailers. They have shown what the game will look like when being played with user-created characters. It may not be perfect but it does look good enough to intrigue me. There were two things I did not care for:

1 - They show speedsters running up buildings, which is fine. But then they seem to stop and stick to the side of the building. That's not really part of super-speed imo.

2 - Everyone seems to be picking up cars and using them as weapons. I don't think every hero should be able to do that and I hope in the final game it isn't that way.

I saw a few interviews at IGN, and it seems like you don't have as much freedom as I thought (I haven't played a MMO before, so my logic may be off).

Basically, you have to choose from the start, hero or villian. You cannot sway one way or the other or be converted ala KOTOR. Maybe I'm spoiled b/c of that game, but it seems like it would have been a good idea for a superhero game.