LCVG

iPhone Applications

PHiL

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Box Office is a great app for seeing what movies are playing around you, it ties into Rotten Tomatoes for the reviews and Fandango for ticket sales. Super Monkey Ball is a bit hard to control at first but I'm getting the hang of it. Pandora is pretty fucking awesome too, it just sucks down the battery on the ol' 3G. And for controlling the AppleTV Remote is slick.

If I was into baseball I'd be all over that MLB application, would LOVE to see the EPL do one.

Shazam - amazing song recognition program ... Hold up to music get the artist and title info within 30 seconds .

Flickr - post your pics from your phone directly to your blog. Currently takes pictures upsidedown (LOL) but otherwise great.

Cube Runner - fun little free 3d game where you try to navigate the longest around an increasing number of blocks

AOL Radio - free online radio

iPint - free virtual beer ... a hit around the office.

Been playing around with a bunch of the music apps today

Pandora is awesome for a fix of different types of music depending on the people/bands you select

AOL Radio is right up there as a favorite app now. I listen to WFAN the NYC sports radio station every day on the way to work and home so i carry an extra small radio. Well AOL Radio streams WFAN so I don't have to anymore. Plus it has all the other CBS owned stations and more.

Been playing around with a bunch of the music apps today

Pandora is awesome for a fix of different types of music depending on the people/bands you select

AOL Radio is right up there as a favorite app now. I listen to WFAN the NYC sports radio station every day on the way to work and home so i carry an extra small radio. Well AOL Radio streams WFAN so I don't have to anymore. Plus it has all the other CBS owned stations and more.

Those two are great. I'm also loving remote which controls my iTunes.

I wanted to ask about Remote... Can you control/stream your iTunes library remotely via WiFi? My specific interest is if I can stream my music library to my iPhone via Wifi while at work. From what I`ve read this would seem to be *feasible* as long as I connect from work back to my home network over VPN... Would it work over regular WiFi though? Anyway to authenticate or something to stream it remotely like that so that it would work in any WiFi hotspot?

I'm enjoying Super Monkey Ball too, you really have to slow down and make small corrections as it can be frustrating at first. I've now made it to the second island :tu

AOL Radio and the Remote are both great apps. It's great to control my Apple TV while outside in the backyard enjoying the music with the windows open and controlling the songs, playlists, etc:rock

Texas Hold Em is a great poker game from Apple. The quality is amazing! It uses FMV to show each player doing little animations with the cards. You can turn it to landscape mode to see the whole table, then back to single view. Because of the FMV it's also the largest app I installed at 128 mb! $4.99

Aurora Feint is a puzzle game where you move the blocks to get 3 in a row. It has a RPG element in that you can level up to get skills. I'm still learning it, but it's great for a FREE game! Very good graphics too.

I'll tell you one thing. They better get a better testing program to developers as a lot of these apps crash way too much. Today I tried to log into AIM and it kept crashing. I deleted it. Restarted my Iphone and it took 15 minutes of holding buttons down before the thing would reboot correctly. MLB.tv crash's every 6 or 7 times I open it, same for a few of the others as well.

been trying out a few apps, I love urbanspoon, it uses your location to recommend restaurants in the area. The interface mimics a slot machine. You shake the iPhone to start a search. When I tried it in Oakland, it gave choices that were very close to my location, this morning on my walk to work in downtown SF I was getting suggestions that were not all that nearby, which was odd.

This reminds me of behavior I've been seeing in the map program with GPS on. After it targets my location, it draws a translucent circle around it which follows where I go...but I notice that it changes size, sometimes getting as small as 15 feet in diameter (on the map), other time growing to maybe 40 feet. I assume that this represents the current spatial resolution of the signal, but that's just a guess.

I like location based apps, but there should be an option in the settings of things such as Twitterific to shut it off. I don't need it asking me over and over if i want to give my location

Yes, it gets old. I was reading a post over at daring fireball that addressed iPhone features, or the lack thereof. I agree with him that Apple has had their hands full getting the behind the scenes stuff ready...like the SDK (huge) and the App Store. The idea is that now that they have that stuff out of the way, they can start adding more features to the iPhone, like copy/paste. And hopefully iron out some of these UI annoyances. Here's hoping.

I have the original iPhone 8gb and it is regularly full with audio/video and a few apps off Installer so... I`d say: if you can afford it, go for the 16gb version. Too easy to add 2,3 then 7 new apps and add a few games and then you`re running out of room and have to drop some vids or something :)

Edit: For clarification, I load mine with a weeks worth of content at a time so: 8gb for me = 10 or so apps off Installer (IM, Twitter, Etc), 3-4 games off Installer (Solitaire, Tris, Etc), 10-15 Videos (Four (1)hour long TV eps, another 6 Southpark eps, a movie, Etc), 500 or so songs (Full meta data and album art), 100+ photos and all email/data sync`d. So, it really isn`t a problem in day-to-day use for me even on the 8gb. Just trying to be fair :)

306K Jul 13 12:55 AOL Radio.ipa
587K Jul 13 12:55 Exposure.ipa
32M Jul 10 23:59 MIM.ipa
294K Jul 13 15:28 NYTimes.ipa
1.0M Jul 10 21:52 Remote.ipa
424K Jul 10 23:38 Save Benjis.ipa
543K Jul 13 12:53 Shazam.ipa
1.1M Jul 10 11:43 Twitterrific.ipa

A tiny sample, but it looks like most are pretty small (games like Monkey Ball are probably a bit larger).

I have the original iPhone 8gb and it is regularly full with audio/video and a few apps off Installer so... I`d say: if you can afford it, go for the 16gb version. Too easy to add 2,3 then 7 new apps and add a few games and then you`re running out of room and have to drop some vids or something :)

Edit: For clarification, I load mine with a weeks worth of content at a time so: 8gb for me = 10 or so apps off Installer (IM, Twitter, Etc), 3-4 games off Installer (Solitaire, Tris, Etc), 10-15 Videos (Four (1)hour long TV eps, another 6 Southpark eps, a movie, Etc), 500 or so songs (Full meta data and album art), 100+ photos and all email/data sync`d. So, it really isn`t a problem in day-to-day use for me even on the 8gb. Just trying to be fair :)

I'm like you :D I have about a 1000 songs on their, a couple of music videos, 100 or so pictures and about 10 podcasts, some of them video. I usually have about 500 megs free. I usually update and delete podcasts daily. With the advent of the app store, I've been deleting some of the songs that I don't listen too very much to get more room for apps! One of the main reasons to upgrade later on for me would be to get a 16 gb one just for the added space. I hoping they might release a 32 gb version at Macworld. I'd be all over that:tu