LCVG

Warhammer Dawn of War II - Relic continues the RTS franchise.

Romier S

• 6 months later...

Tried playing the multiplayer beta (via Steam), but I only get a few seconds in the UI before it drops to 1 frame every few seconds.

The music plays fine, though, and it's actually 5.1. I look forward to that becoming more common in games. Too bad the lossy compression makes me cringe...

They patched it so I gave it another try and it worked great. I had no idea what was going on and got wtf-owned really fast (damn multiplayer-only betas!), but, as nothing more than a Company of Heroes fan, I was instantly sold. It looks and sounds fantastic! They've got all kinds of great particle effects going on again, but this time with a new "Soft Particles" option that really makes all of those lasers and shit shine :)

I can't wait to get the final game.

EDIT: Ohh, you can setup your own public game and easily switch the slots to AIs before anyone joins. Yay. I'm gonna play this beta a bunch.

P.S. The beta is available to anyone on Steam, no (I don't own that DoW1 expansion that got you in early)? Try it!

Edited by Covak

I'd get my ass handed to me over and over, no doubt about it! I played the shit outta the first game, single player and skirmishes, over and over, against the AI.

I could always win with it on normal, and if I simply bumped it up one single notch, it was a toss up, with the AI usually winning. Frustrating to say the least.

Definitely plan on getting this but, I'll need a much better laptop. My 3.5 year old Sager, with a 3ghz cpu and the 6800 Ultra, just isn't gonna cut it without seriously downgrading the graphics.

This, and Crysis, amount to THE only things I'm interested in with regards to computer gaming.

For those that picked this up from someplace other than Gamestop.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II is out today. To celebrate this, we've got free Wargear Sets to give away to myTHQ members.

The first 100,000 to register Dawn of War II will be rewarded with the Chapter Command Wargear Set for free. This contains...

* “Cuirass of Azariah” Armor

* “Pistol of Baal” Bolt Pistol

* “Gauntlet of Blood” Power Fist

* “Mantle of the Great Father” Armor

* “Fearsome Light of Faith” Plasma Gun

* “Laurels of Hadrian” Iron Halo

* Two unique chapters “Revilers” and “Angels Sanguine”

* Eight exclusive metallic colors

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/news/show/6377

This is the preorder for the Gamestop version.

I had no clue this was a Games for Windows Live title. Nice!

I played the first two missions of the campaign. AWESOME. Great, great visuals. The gameplay is accessible and not too burdened by resource gathering/building etc. from what I can tell. Which is a great thing in my book as resource gathering in major ways tends to annoy the shit out of me in these games. The music is fantastic! As is the voice acting. I look forwarding to playing more...

Holy crap this is awesome! I just played through the first two boss battles in the game and wow I'm impressed. I didn't think an RTS could actually pull me in but this is just amazingly good fun. The game just keeps things so simple yet allows for complex strategies and squad building. I love the RPG like character aspects with gear to equip and all. Is the first game as good as this? If it is, I've been missing out!

Seriously? This is the most appealing and downright fun RTS I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I'm nearly done with Typhon at the moment as I've got one more boss fight to do before I can head back to Calderis. The story in the game is suprisingly well told and it's more than keeping my interest. The Assault troopers and thier jump pack ability is just ENDLESS amusement. I never ever get tired of launching them into the air and seeing them decimate an Ork warband.:rock

My own personal suprise game of '09 right here.

Romier, what kind of hardware are you using and, are you getting a pretty good gaming experience, ie framerate, detail, effects?

I'm guessing my lappy with a p4 3ghz, 2 gig ram, and a now lowly 256mb geforce 6800 ultra, is going to deliver a rather crappy experience.

Just kind of wondering what I should shoot for in a replacement lappy to play this game well.

Still love the hell out of the orignal Warhammer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought this the other night, and was pretty excited to play it since I loved the first game.

Disappointed, to say the least. I absolutely DISPISE the fact that I can't save, at any time, during a mission. One too many times I've finally reached the end of a mission, to get my ass handed to me by the end level boss, only to do the whole damn thing, over and over and over.

*yawn*

...back into the box.

Too bad too, cause I really played the shit outta the first game, including countless AI skirmishes. I didn't think I'd miss base building that much but, this is a very stripped down facsimile of the first game, in my humble opinion.

To each their own.

Disappointed, to say the least. I absolutely DISPISE the fact that I can't save, at any time, during a mission. One too many times I've finally reached the end of a mission, to get my ass handed to me by the end level boss, only to do the whole damn thing, over and over and over.

That is why I have not gone back to the game since the first week despite being a big 40K fan and the game being damn good otherwise.