LCVG

Red Faction: Guerilla (X360, PS3)

Romier S

Interesting. Is this due this year or 2009?

1st Qtr. 2009

I'm really looking forward to this game. There will be a multiplayer beta on xbox live:

Red Faction: Guerrilla is in the early stages of a closed, multi-player beta taking place over Microsoft's Xbox Live service. Most of the current participants are Volition and THQ employees, but we have exciting plans to open up participation in the near future.

Stay tuned for more information!

• 3 weeks later...

Beta for IGN Insiders:

The next installment in THQ's Red Faction series isn't due to arrive until early '09. Yet lucky IGN Insider subscribers will get a one month preview of Red Faction: Guerrilla with the launch of THQ's Xbox 360 exclusive beta. You can apply for a key right now over at FilePlanet. Those fortunate enough to acquire a key get all of August to play two online game modes across three different maps.

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/redfaction

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Flying under the radar, it comes out next week. Plan on picking up a copy. IGN liked it and they gave it one of the lower scores I have seen as they have been all 9's so far.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/987/987544p1.html

If all you care about is blasting things to pieces, you?re going to love Red Faction: Guerrilla. Seeing a tower topple to the ground in a seemingly realistic fashion after smacking away its support beams with a sledgehammer is really a thrill, and though it may lose its appeal as you continue through the lengthy campaign, it?s still worth checking out, particularly after you unlock some of the better weapons. What?s more disappointing about Volition?s effort is the rocky mission design, bland artistic style, weak plot and anemic character development, which shifts too much focus to the element of destruction to maintain a level of excitement. Its enjoyable gunplay mechanics along with the weapons and opportunity for tearing apart structures carry over into the online space, where Volition has built an impressive multiplayer suite that includes stat tracking, unlocks, and a number of game modes that focus on flattening buildings. While the game may not do everything right, it?s your best bet for free-form demolition and unpretentious entertainment.

My copy is in hand. I picked her up at Target this morning. I was originally going to hold off considering I'm knee deep into inFamous at the moment but I enjoyed the demo too much and I didn't realize Prototype wasn't until next week so. Here I am.:D

Fun. Light on story. Great to just go around blow stuff up. Full destruction in MP makes it more interesting than the standard fare.

Real quick story. Blowing up EDF buildings lowers their control in an area. Anyway, plant charges on one and back away while I detonate. Huge chunk of the building comes flying my way, landing on me, killing me instantly. I just laughed. Really enjoying it so far.

Here's a great interview about some of the design elements in Red Faction and the developers outlook on what effect the destruction technology will have on the industry..

http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/06/developer_of_red_faction_guerr.php

I plan to spend a lot of time with this game over the weekend as I've only scratched the surface of the content and it's been extremely fun thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost done liberating Dust. Everytime I want to hit up one of the main story missions I see a bunch of those green little icons calling me to help my subjegated brothers and I can't resist. The destruction side missions with the martian hillbilly are too fun to even describe. You essentially ride the back of a turret mounted half motorcyle, half truck. The goal? Blow up anything belonging to the EDF (Earth Defense Force) in sight. It's a thing of beauty.:lol

The rest of the side missions are all pretty enjoyable even if they are a bit repetitious at times. The hostage related ones are my least favorite. As you move on through the game they can be a real bitch to complete. Though after trying to use remote charges during one mission and getting my ass handed to me, I just stole an armored truck and plowed that sumbitch right through the side of the building and loaded everybody up for the escape :lol. The Geo-Mod 2.0 tech is the real deal and I can understand why Volition are saying it's going to change how gamers want to play thier games.

Speaking of which, there's another mission early on in Dust where you have to take out some PA speakers around a large crater that is being mined out and is guarded by EDF forces. The PA speakers are all setup in different buildings built into the roads in the crater and usually hanging off the side of some of the cliffs that have formed. The first two times I tried the mission I went about it very traditionally. I drove to the first speaker, got out and tried to eliminate everyone and used my remote charges to take out the building with the speaker. That was amusing but I died after only taking two of them out. The third time at it, I placed remote charges on the vehicle I was driving and drive it into the building as I leaped out. Once it found its target I set that sucker off. It was a good strategy but again, once I took out the third building - the heat was too much and I got stomped. Finally, I said to hell with it. I grabbed a big mining truck and literally bulldozed my way through all four buildings runing over EDF troops and supply vehicles along the way.:lol

The final leg of the mission tasked me with killing a high ranking EDF official so I went ahead and drove my new truck right over to his headquarters (the truck was now full of martian revolutionaries who joined me in the fight) and as they attacked the stronghold, I placed remote charges on the four primary joists holding the top floor together where my target was having a meeting with some other officials in the EDF. I set those bitches off and watched the entire building come tumbling down killing everyone inside. Priceless and AMAZINGLY FUN.

I won't even get into how ridiculous it is when you get to test drive your first walker.:rock:rock

Edited by Romier S

Been playing this one for the past week, going slow, just blowing the shit out of everything I can find, and loving it! Probably return it today, but this one will be on my Buy List when I can find it at a lower price. There's nothing like blowing the hell outta a building to take the edge off for a few minutes.