LCVG

Singularity (360/PS3/PC)

EnemaEms

• 1 year later...

So this is coming out next week and some of the word of mouth from folks who've gotten it early has been very positive. Comparisons to Bioshock and Half-Life 2 piqued my interest. Eurogamer has their review up already:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/singularity-review

They awarded the game an 8/10 saying:

Very little here hasn't been seen elsewhere before, but Singularity has more to recommend it than simply being a polished, entertaining collection of well-executed clich?s and set-pieces. It's the first game I've played in ages that realises first-person shooters can bundle in as much philosophy and as many moral dilemmas as they like, but fundamentally they're still about shooting monsters in the face, and so what it lacks in originality it makes up for in variety, pacing and exuberance. First-person shooters are always silly! Well done to Raven for making one that likes being silly.

This is being sent to retail with no marketing, no attention whatsoever so it's just about guaranteed to fail with a likely price drop happening pretty quickly. I'll likely wait for that inevitability to pick it up but it's nice to see the game has apparently turned out well. Raven took a big tumble with me for the tedium that was the last Wolfenstein game so I'm all for a good redemption shooter out of them at a cheap price.

Amazon also has it with a $20 gift certificate on a future game purchase and a free graphic novel.

Edited by Romier S

Reviews are coming in. Not good.

Really?

Gamespot gives it an 8

While it clearly looks to nuanced classics such as BioShock and Half-Life 2 as inspiration, this first-person shooter is all about blasting hideous mutants with shotguns and performing crazy time-manipulation powers. It isn't deep and it isn't pretty--it's just an absolute riot, filled with fun shoot-outs, a few clever puzzles, and an overall kookiness that fans of old-fashioned shooters can rally behind. Those powers may come across as gimmicks at first, but they add a dash of gusto to the shooting, keeping the action from ever feeling stale. Aging visuals and a smattering of glitches may make you wish Singularity had spent a little more time in the hopper, but there's rather little to stand between you and the game's strongest asset: diverse mechanics that keep the action constantly fresh.

IGN gave it a 7

Planet Xbox 360 gives it an 8.5

I would post comments from the other sites but considering the reviews could have been better written by 5 year olds, I won't bother.

The previously mentioned Eurogamer review was also listed as a very positive 8. That covers most of the "majors" if you care about that kind of thing.

User impressions across the web have been almost universally positive with complaints coming about the length of the game and the fact that it isn't the greatest looking shooter around. This isn't a game that you buy at full price anyway but the reviews have been quite good for a title that most everyone thought would end up being absolute crap.

My copy is being delivered today from Amazon. They applied a $10 Prime gift cert for me PLUS the fact that I get a $20 GC for buying the game makes the final price for Singularity $29.99. That's about exactly what I wanted to pay for it. I'll post some impressions tonight after I get some real play time in.

Plus....

[ATTACH]4433[/ATTACH]

Priceless.:D

Edited by Romier S

By the way, you get a free copy of Prototype you can send away for if you purchase Singularity. You only have to pay for shipping similar to the Darksiders/Red Faction Guerilla offer. It's Xbox 360 only though. I sent away for it even though I already own the game. Why not?:)

I can understand why this is getting such positive reviews and feedback. It's very good. It's not the most amazing shooter you'll ever play and it's certainly not the prettiest but there's a whole lot here to like.

The first hour or so is Raven Software doing it's best Bioshock impersonation. In a lot of ways, they succeed. I'm not saying that the work here is on the level of anything Irrational did in the original Bioshock or even the work 2K Marin did with Bioshock 2, but there is a surprising amount of atmosphere and and stong sense of place/setting early on. It establishes its back story in many of the same ways as 2K's classic (notes, audio logs, use of environment etc.) and then it supports it all with rock solid gunplay that feels really good. One of the biggest complaints I leveled against Raven's Wolfenstein game is that the weapons just didn't feel good and so the gunplay fell apart as a consequence. That isn't an issue here. It's a slow beginning but I like that it establishes itself before jumping right into the action.

Once you move further into the experience, the REAL game starts once you get the time device. The way it integrates into the puzzles and even combat (seriously, you'll get a big grin when you "age" someone into a pile of bones) is clever as hell. You can push items back in time to repair certain aspects of your surroundings or even age objects to open up paths that you could never reach. It sounds pedestrian but once you use it in-game you'll understand how strangely satisfying the implementation is. I'm really eager to see what they do with the device as the game progresses.

As noted, it's not a blow you away experience that you'll never forget and HAVE to buy and it's certainly derivative as hell but it does inject enough originality and a few new interesting wrinkles to make for an entertaining shooter. For the price I paid, I have zero regrets and it's provided me with more fun in a few hours than Half Moon's Transformers game which I'm struggling to want to go back and play.

Edited by Romier S

Controlling the direction of the bullet is what makes it enjoyable. Especially when you line up that perfect head shot.

I finished up the first major boss fight. There's such a mish mash of games present here. The section I'm at is VERY Half Life 2. Especially the gravity add-on you get for the TMD which essentially makes it the gravity gun. There's a neat puzzle that requires the use of the gravity add-on along with the aging and de-aging effect of the TMD. I was quite impressed with it despite its simplicity.

Edited by Romier S

Completed. I did all three endings with by hitting continue from the main meny and playing around with my options at the end. It's just ashame a lot of folks won't end up playing this simply because of a total lack of marketing by Activison. It's been a four and a half hour marathon session so I'll try to make this brief...

Singularity is just a ton of fun. Plain and simple. The minute to minute gunplay is well executed. The time powers are your disposal aren't numerous but what is there is used well. Once you get Deadlock, let the fun begin. Some would say it's overpowered but I say it never gets old freezing time around a group of enemies, blasting them each in the face and then collapsing the Deadlock and watching all of the carnage unfold in real time.

The story isn't terribly well written but it's actually pretty well executed despite the problematic dialogue. The ending especially is extremely satisfying and ties everything together nicely. I was actually surprised at how much I ended up enjoying it considering I walked into the game thinking it would be nothing more than a throwaway. Good on Raven for giving a little effort on that front.

The only real major criticism that I think should be leveled at the game is that visually it's a mish mash of pretty decent art design with poor technical execution. We all know what Unreal 3 engine games can look like and in a lot of cases, Singularity just under delivers. It's never so ugly as to make you think it's budget, but it rarely touches the upper echelon of titles that have used this engine well in the past.

I'm glad I bought this. I'm REALLY glad I bought it for $29.99 as the single player campaign comes in a bit short at around the 7 hour mark and I doubt I'll touch the multiplayer much. If you're looking for a quality shooter with strong core mechanics, a nifty story and one that just offers plain old FUN for 7 hours - you cannot go wrong here with a rental or cheap purchase down the line.

Edited by Romier S

I doubt I'll touch the multiplayer much

You are not the only one. The MP for this game is virtually non existent. It can be very difficult to even get into one match, for anyone thinking that they could extend the playtime that way.

I am really enjoying it myself. Just finished Rail Line. As Romier said, once you pick up the TMD, the game really picks up. Without that mechanic in the game though, it would just be an average shooter.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the price drops get this into more gamers hands because man is it good, I was just looking for a new shooter to occupy my time but this is so much more. The time manipulation stuff is just plain fun to mess with, the core shooting mecanic is solid, and so far the story and atmosphere are phenominal.

Finished tonight, absolutely loved every minute of it. My only complaint is the time from when you get the final TMD upgrade where you no longer use E-99 to the end of the game is entirely too short, once you get that upgrade, you are for all intents and purposes, God. No one can touch you and I had more fun in that small frame of time (no pun intended) than I can remember having with a game in a long long time.

Soldier taking pot shots at you from behind a barrier? Age the barrier to rubble and cap his ass. Or get creative and age him to dust as well or shoot him through time and turn him into a flesh hungry, slobbering monster. Armored minigun toting assholes got you down? Create a bubble where time doesn't exist and freeze them in thier tracks, casually saunter up behind them and put a bullet or 2 into the back of their necks, collapse the field and watch their heads fall off and roll around on the floor.

There's seriously so many cool ideas and ways to kill people in this game any shooter fan should absolutely check it out.

• 6 months later...