LCVG

Knights of the Old Republic MMO a reality?

Romier S

EA seems to think so. Bioware developed at that...

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/the-tech-observer/2008/07/17/ea-to-play-in-knights-of-the-old-republic

"We've got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development," said Riccitiello. The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon. "And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about -- in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry at the point when we get closer to telling you about it."

Does Riccitiello mean the oft rumored Knights of the Old Republic Online? "Yes," he said.

The problem really comes down to what do you do with millions of jedi. You have to find some way to make the other classes compelling. Galaxies tried to overcome this by just not offering jedi at first. I think the solution to this problem will make or break the game.

Galaxies tried to overcome this by just not offering jedi at first.

Galaxies, over time, tried to be a game it was never meant to be. The time period in which Galaxies was set should never have allowed for Jedi as they were practically extinct. It was after player pressure that SOE broke down and changed the design of thier game to make it easier for folks to do something they should have never been able to do. I won't even get into the deeper underlying issues with SWG from a development perspective from launch to what it is today. Much less the beta of the game which was really problematic and rushed.

Knights of the Old Republic doesn't have the constraint of the time period and they are able to play as much as they like in thier corner of the Star Wars universe.

The problem really comes down to what do you do with millions of jedi. You have to find some way to make the other classes compelling

The problem is creating and more importantly tailoring content. Something that SOE is frankly awful at doing (and one of the reasons I consider them one of the least capable developers making MMO's today).

Bounty Hunters aren't compelling? Playing as assassin droid ala HK-47 with the ability to customize and tailor your personality isn't compelling? Playing a Mandalorian in thier prime with thier slew of armor and weapon options doesn't get you excited? There are so many compelling ideas and classes that could end up being so much more fun than playing a Jedi. Then there is the Jedi themselves. Bioware broke Jedi down into classes for KOTOR and I don't see any reason why they can't do that here. Separate Jedi and Sith and you have that many more play styles and options to offer the player. Maybe you're a lightsaber offensive minded Jedi? Or perhaps you're not quite so good with the Saber but you're a beast with force powers?

I don't think finding compelling classes/content in the Star Wars universe is an issue. Having a competent developer handling the creation of said content is more important and SOE isn't anywhere remotely in the same league as Bioware (even the Bioware of today). Leave it to SOE to fuck up one of the most fool proof franchises in the MMO space.:)

yeah, It was a quick response that wasn't as well thought out as Romier's.. Shocking I Know :)

You're right though, content is what will matter. I mentioned this to a friend and he basically said exactly what Romier did so please feel free to ignore me.

The talent trees in the different jedi would also make some compelling differences if done right. I'll wait and judge later. It just seems like most of the time these huge franchise MMO's are let downs.

I mentioned this to a friend and he basically said exactly what Romier did so please feel free to ignore me.

Not at all. We're just conversing here afterall. Galaxies NEEDS to be mentioned cause it's a perfect example of what NOT to do with a Star Wars MMO.

Well, if all this is confirmed I`ll pretty much be a divorcee soon... This would be one of my Dream Games and I`m "pretty certain" I`ll be playing the everloving Shit out of a KOTOR MMO. And my wife is already pissed at my gameplay habits as-is :) Heheheh

Is it a given this will be PC only? It would be nice if they release it on the 360 and/or PS3, at least for me. :)

Has there been any games where the console servers interact with the PC servers? That would be kinda cool to play with your PC buddies on a console

Has there been any games where the console servers interact with the PC servers? That would be kinda cool to play with your PC buddies on a console

A few games over live do PC vs 360, and a MMO

Lost Planet Colonies, Universe at War, and Shadowrun for live. FFXI MMO, There may be one more

every thing is happing as I have fore-seen. This is a need concpet for surem but it needs to be done right as mentioned. I never got to play SWG but I have been told the horror stories from people I know that play.

I'm actualy playing in a Star Wars campagne right now, with a group of my friends. I'm playing a Dark Jedi, a Bontha, whos name is Choda. His fav force power is force lighting........ UNLIMITATED POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could see my self following this devlopment and perhaps purchacing down the road. I also hope they go the route of like DDO and throw in some nice puzzle solving elements, to give it even more vartiey instead of WoW wheres it like just hack and slash. I was playing WoW for a while but it got to repetive for my tastes.

• 2 months later...

Bioware complimented Mythic's tech over at Gamespot though it's difficult to tell whether it was just a pat on the back comment or whether some tech was shared there or not. Either way, it wouldn't bother me if that was the case. I've come to really like the Warhammer engine and the "look" of it.