LCVG

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Felicia really knocked it out of the park in Act II, too.

I wonder how they'll manage to wrap it up in the next act. It'll probably be mostly unresolved & leaving us begging for sequels.

The DVD should be cool, as they're promising a singing commentary, in addition to the standard commentary. :ohyeah

Am I the only one scratching my head here? :umm

I stumbled across Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog yesterday. I thought, hey it has Neil Patrick Harris, it's gotta be pretty good. He is a one fucking funny guy.

I have to say, this project just didn't work for me, even though I wanted to enjoy it. It's an odd concoction of good and funny actors/singers, working with what seems like a decent budget for such a weird tangent of a project, and a rather lame ass plot. I just don't get the reason for all of the work put into this project.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, I just feel like I'm missing something here. :(

I will say, the randomness of the sweaty character amused me. Ewwww. :lol

Well, Act III is up and.... uh...

Act II was definitely the strongest in my opinion, with Neil Patrick Harris and Felicia Day really shining through. Nathan Fillion had some really good parts in Act III. And was that Buffy Producer "Marti Noxon" and Angel Producer "David Fury" as the news people?

As far as not enjoying it, I can see that, I have a lot of friends who would think it was bizzare and not funny.

I am no fan of musicals. I watched the first one only because Joss Whedon's name was attached and because I loved Firefly.

3/4 through the first episode I only had two thoughts:

• Doogie Houser can really sing (and act, for that matter)
  • This is just odd, nothing more

I would have stopped there but, after investing 13 minutes I went ahead and clicked on part 2. It started working for me then. It just works on so many levels. The songs are technically well integrated and are really well written and, for someone who hates musicals, the "odd" & humorous nature of the whole production let me loosen up and accept the singing narrative. I really liked the Unbreakable-like insight into a super villain. We like the character despite his need to be evil.

I am confused as to the inception of the project. Was it supposed to be a web production from the start? Why? How is this making money? It seems odd that a project with such high production levels and talent would only find its way to a 39 minute video for the web.

Camp, it was concieved during the WGA strike as an experiment towards alternative distribution. It was filmed in only six days but done on the up and up with the unions. This is posted on the official site:

1) Why, Joss? Why? Why now, why free, why us?

Once upon a time, all the writers in the forest got very mad with the Forest Kings and declared a work-stoppage. The forest creatures were all sad; the mushrooms did not dance, the elderberries gave no juice for the festival wines, and the Teamsters were kinda pissed. (They were very polite about it, though.) During this work-stoppage, many writers tried to form partnerships for outside funding to create new work that circumvented the Forest King system.

Frustrated with the lack of movement on that front, I finally decided to do something very ambitious, very exciting, very mid-life-crisisy. Aided only by everyone I had worked with, was related to or had ever met, I single-handedly created this unique little epic. A supervillain musical, of which, as we all know, there are far too few.

The idea was to make it on the fly, on the cheap – but to make it. To turn out a really thrilling, professionalish piece of entertainment specifically for the internet. To show how much could be done with very little. To show the world there is another way. To give the public (and in particular you guys) something for all your support and patience. And to make a lot of silly jokes. Actually, that sentence probably should have come first.

2) What happens when it goes away? Does it go to a happy farm for always like Fluffy did when mommy was crying and the neighbor kept washing his fender?

No, Dr horrible will live on. We intend to make it available for download soon after it’s published. This would be for a nominal fee, which we’re hoping people will embrace instead of getting all piratey. We have big dreams, people, and one of them is paying our crew.

And somewhat later, we will put the complete short epic out on DVD – with the finest and bravest extras in all the land. We’ll go into greater detail about that at Comiccon, but we’re changing the face of Show Friendliness a second time with that crazy DVD.

3) Joss, you are so kind, and generous, and your forehead is like, huge, like SCARY, like I think I can see Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint hanging off it… what can WE do to help this musical extravanganza?

What you always do, peeps! What you’re already doing. Spread the word. Rock some banners, widgets, diggs… let people know who wouldn’t ordinarily know. It wouldn’t hurt if this really was an event. Good for the business, good for the community – communitIES: Hollywood, internet, artists around the world, comic-book fans, musical fans (and even the rather vocal community of people who hate both but will still dig on this). Proving we can turn Dr Horrible into a viable economic proposition as well as an awesome goof will only inspire more people to lay themselves out in the same way. It’s time for the dissemination of the artistic process. Create more for less. You are the ones that can make that happen.

Wow. I had no idea how important you guys were. I’m a little afraid of you.

So it's only freely available 'til tomorrow night, then you can buy it at iTunes for $3.99 (available already) or purchase the DVD later when that comes out.

So, Act III..."be careful what you wish for" right? Really enjoyed this, very entertaining for what's the equivalent of a single episode of TV, & yeah I want more now.

• 1 month later...

I thought this show was freakin' hysterical. Loved NPH as a singing villain and he was Damn Funny. Nathan Fillion was the only other character that was as funny and his smarmy-lame Captain Hammer was a great counterpoint to Dr. Horrible IMO. As goofy as it is, you really end up liking the villain Way more than the hero :) We ended up buying it off iTunes and I wouldn't miss an episode if this were turned into a regular TV show or webisodes...

Also: Maybe its just good casting (consistently good) but damn does he seem to write the "girl next door" better than anyone else (ie: Willow/tara/Kaylee/Penny)