LCVG

Suspiscious network activity closes Firefox?

Cyberwoo

Just today I've been getting what appear to be random messages from Spyware Detector stating that there was suspiscious network activity and it proceeds to close Firefox. It says it suspends network activity but I remain connected to the net because my IRC, AIM, etc remain logged in. I ran spyware scanner and came up with nothing. Anyone had this happen? Its happened 3 times in the last 30min or so.

Now that I think about it I'm wondering if its just 1 website that is doing this. Last.fm has seen a recent overhaul and I've been using it off and on today. I want to say I was on that site the last few times I've gotten that message from spyware detector although I'm not certain. Guess I'll avoid the site for a bit and see how things go.

Guess I'll avoid the site for a bit and see how things go.

Or stop using the spyware detector.

I have never used 'active' spyware apps or anti-virus programs. I will occasionally do a passive scan with a spyware app, however. Apps running in the background annoy me even if they don't take much RAM or CPU cycles. Especially apps as dubious as spyware & anti-virus.

Active anti-virus is absolutely needed. I like AVG, Antivir isn't bad too, there's a couple of other good ones. As long as it's not resource-sucking Norton.

Active spyware protection, on the other hand, not really needed. Spyware isn't going to steal your CC numbers with a keylogger or turn your computer into a zombie or wipe your master boot record. Spyware isn't going to spread over the network to vulnerable computers on its own, like a few of the famous viruses. A scan once in a while when something starts acting funny is enough vs spyware.

Well this explains what was/is happening to me:

http://www.spywaredetector.net/blog/index.htm

Since that update spyware detector has been closing Firefox whenever it suspects a bad site. This seems like way overkill. Up until now I've never had an issue with the program and I don't even notice it running in the background. I use it in combination with McAfee antivirus and have had good luck with both. Now that spyware detector is being overprotective I think its time to uninstall it.

Update: Err actually all I need to do is uncheck "network monitor" in the program menu since that seems to be the issue. I'd still like to keep the prog to do my once a week scan. Its caught enough stuff since I started using it that I feel its served its purpose. Of course just how harmfull any of those "high risk" threats it has quarantined are is beyond me. *shrug* I hate computers and have no desire to learn much about them these days. :)

I disagree completely.

I'm a good example. 15 years without active anti-virus and never a problem. And I'm not a particularly 'safe' internet user either.

We had a debate about 20 pages on this over at hardforum.

This attitude is dangerous. I see it as akin to the folks I hear say stuff like "my grandpa drank and smoked every day of his life and he lived until he was 90". Some people get lucky.

I relied on luck for most of the past decade or so, but I always felt guilty about it. AVG has a nice free anti-virus app, so I installed that and feel better now. :P

To me, the analogy is like wearing a seat belt. You can drive your whole life and never get into an accident where a seat belt would make a difference; in fact, I would bet most people do. But that one time when it WOULD make a difference...well, it's just better to have it than not, especially if it's free.