LCVG

PS3 headset

Atomic Dog

Can you use any old bluetooth headset for the PS3?

I finally jumped into the fray and picked up one of the MGS4 PS3 bundles last weekend. I've never played anything online before, but want to give it a try.

I have a bluetooth headset that I bought for my cell phone last year that I never figured out how to work properly. If I can use it rather than shelling out for another accessory I'd be pretty pleased. I'd rather save my money for some games. :ohyeah

Can you use any old bluetooth headset for the PS3?

Congrats on the purchase. Alot of them are compatible but some work better than others. The Playstation forums had a thread with a complete list. What kind of headset is it?

It's made by Plantronics. I messed around with it a bit last night and got it to pair with the PS3.

To see if it works I popped in EA Skate and did an online challenge. Never really got to test it out, as the game kept pausing and stuttering on me. I could tell that I was getting sound from the other guy, but couldn't get enough to hear much of anything.

Could that issue with gameplay be my wifi connection, or maybe something to do with the servers on the other end? Or possibly have to do with the headset?

I had messed around with that game online monday evening briefly with no headset and it seemed to run smoothly then.

• 7 months later...

Back from the dead!!

I was playing Burnout Paradise last night online with a friend. I was having a really tough time hearing him, it sounded like he had a sock stuffed in his mouth. (Well, maybe he did - I didn't ask. :D )

It was really taking away from the experience not being able to hear very well. As mentioned in my old post I have a cheap Plantronics bluetooth headset. I think I'm going to pick up something that hopefully works a bit better. Any suggestions? I've read that the official playstation headsets work quite well. What about usb headsets? Could I get better sound quality for less cost going wired? There are also some games (Warhawk) that come with headsets, what is the quality like in those? I think you can get Warhawk with headset for the same or less than the official sony headset.

I may swing by gamestop tonight to see if they have anything used on hand.

There are also some games (Warhawk) that come with headsets, what is the quality like in those?

Personally, I think the Warhawk headset stinks, better off going with the PS3 headset. Anything else seems to be very hit or miss.