LCVG

Motorcycle riders

kelley

Well I think I'm going to join the club and get a motorcycle. I signed up for a state sponsored training coarse that teaches you how to ride and gives you your check ride for the M license. My dad recently got a new Harley Road King so he's going to let me borrow his 92 Yamaha FJ until I decide what I want to get.

Just wanted to see if any of you guys had any advice.

Despite the high gas prices I have still been surprised by the increase in SMART cars, scooters, and motorcycles this summer. It's a massive difference from this time last year.

Do be careful, Kelley. Along with the increase in bikes on the road I have also seen several motorcycle accidents in recent weeks. Nasty stuff I'd rather not see again. Granted, most of these accidents have been idiots on 'superbikes' but still, car drivers are so bad when bikes are around.

Wear a helmet! I don't know what the law is where you live, but whatever it is, please wear a helmet.

Here in New England only Mass and Vermont have full helmet laws. I moved to RI from Mass a few years ago, and I just shake my head when I see people riding without a helmet. You may be the best rider out there, but there is just no accounting for the other morons on the road.

Aside from that sober advice,... Have fun! I can't wait to see what ride you settle on. :tu

Kelley, dont know exactly what youre looking for in a bike but our "Cancun friends" own a John Deere dealership and have exclusive rights in this area to these.

studio2_1024_en.jpg

They are selling phenomenally mainly because of the large front wingspan, that for safety reasons, makes it quite visible on the road. Dont know if this is your thing though.

http://spyder.brp.com/

A good mate of mine in SF just bought a SmartCar instead of a scooter. It's perfect for SF. Wouldn't drive it on a highway.

Exactly.. Me and My g/f were driving to jersey a couple weeks back... A a Tractor Trailer almost crushed this smart car going over the george Washington bridge.

We also saw one of those bikes Bruce.. I saw it in a Yellow color and it looked insane:tu

I've seen a few of those Spyders here in Dallas recently. Kind of cool. They make me do a double-take, that's for sure.

My understanding is they are expensive.

They are around $16,000

To help my friends out I had two put in my name as presold so they would get a bigger allocation. I was really tempted to keep one of them.

Wait. Don't mean to threadjack, but Smartcars are deathtraps and motorcycles aren't?

:jacked ^^^

Not trying to speak for Joel but he may mean it in a sense of having the added security of being in an enclosed vehicle(as tiny as it may be) may make people in these vehicles more bold than on motorcycles therefore leading to catastrophic accidents.

Back to you Kelley.......

Those things are ugly AND a deathtrap.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety does not agree with this assessment. The Smart FourTwo has a better side impact rating than the much larger Ford Explorer. Of course if you are after safety a motorcycle is not for you. Many, many years ago I "laid" down a Honda 1100 SuperSport. Not an enjoyable experience and one I would rather not repeat.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety does not agree with this assessment. The Smart FourTwo has a better side impact rating than the much larger Ford Explorer. Of course if you are after safety a motorcycle is not for you. Many, many years ago I "laid" down a Honda 1100 SuperSport. Not an enjoyable experience and one I would rather not repeat.

I'm actually agreeing with you and Josh... (Family Friend has been in a coma for 4months now after a motorcycle accident)... and would much rather have a smartcar than an explorer (or a bike)...

But I do want to point out that you cannot directly compare those crash ratings. They are comparisons between cars in the same class, ie SUV or subcompact. I would much rather be broadsided by a smartcar while in an explorer than the other way around. Smart Cars are really safe for their size though (basically a roll cage on wheels)...

Anyways, Kelley, just be safe out there... there are still lots of cellphone-talkin, coffee-drinkin Hummer drivers out there; try and stay out of their way, because they sure as hell won't see you. :)

I am joining the club as well... Got home and my wife bought me a Motorcycle for my Birthday. 1987 Honda Rebel 450. It is a great starter bike. I am going to take the class next month. I can not wait.

Now I am looking for a jacket, glove and pants.... A bit of overlaod on those items. So may brands, and hard to find any good data on them.

Awesome! I've got my jacket and gloves, can't remember the brands. I'm having a hard time finding a helmet, because I've got such a large head. Do you know what style of helmet you are looking for yet?

As for my hunt for a bike, I'm leaning towards a Suzuki SV650.

I got very Lucky, and when she bought the bike, the guy had an extra helmet that fit me great. I will look and see what brand it is. I like some of the new helmets that have vents, they are nice.

Did you get your gear online? I like the jackets with the pads, and layers, for summer and cooler riding. I am looking at these now

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ComparisonChart.aspx?Compare=9490%2c10310%2c

I have no idea about gloves yet

As for my hunt for a bike, I'm leaning towards a Suzuki SV650.

Ahh another Suzuki guy. I ride a Boulevard c50, Merlot rides a SV650, very nice.

We posted pics in a thread a couple years ago. I think it was titled "My new toy" or something like that.

Be safe! Taking the training course really enlightens you to how many bad drivers there are on the road. People really don't pay attention to anything especially motorcycles.

You'll also hate the amount of idiots who tailgate you. They just don't realize how fast you will stop if you really need to stop hard. Its annoying.

Other than that I love riding my bike. Good Luck.

Add me to the list of new motorcycle owners. I bought a 2007 Suzuki GS500F this weekend. As this is my first street bike, I wanted something easy to learn on but still have some performance without going overboard on a pure sport bike like a Ninja 600 or GSXR 600! I was going to get an 08 but they had 2 07 models that were still new at a discount of $800 of the 08 price, perfect for me:D

While getting the bike, I got a Scorpion jacket, helmet and gloves. Nothing to expensive, but with good protection and features. The jacket I got has 2 inner linings that can be taken out if needed, great for the upcoming fall climate. I'm using it mainly for commuting the 30 mile round trip to work, but also for some fun on the weekends!

I can't wait to get the motor broke in as I have to keep it under 6K rpm's for the first 1000 miles, but that's still plenty fast enough.

You can view a few pictures here

http://gallery.me.com/mbloxham1324#100061&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=1

Matt