LCVG

Final Fantasy IV (DS)

Mark E

Didn't see a thread, so here we go again!

And literally, this is the third version of Final Fantasy IV I'll be playing through (SNES, PSOne, DS) and the second I'll have purchased (PSOne, DS). Mind you, unlike the first two times this is a brand new redo which keeps the storyline but has redone the dialogue and graphics for today's picky gamer.

So far, lovin' it. To be fair, a lot of people do not like FF4 to the extent I do because it is linear as hell and there's zero party selection. Which is part of the reason I love it - the game is very, very well tailored as you cannot OP your party. The designers know who you'll be using and force you to use skill to advance. It's hard as pants towards the end for that reason alone :tu.

Storyline is still just like before, just expanded dialogue and cutscenes. The poly's are low but the graphics are great. They look cutesy in the stills but animate well and capture the mood of the original. This is hands down my favorite FF just because I love, love the storyline and characters. It was my first exposure to an actual game where people died and sacrifices were made so that also paints my view of it, it really showed me the promise this medium had like no game had to that point.

Sound. Best FF soundtrack ever, imho. You can tell somebody at Square agrees because they barely touched a lick of the original score. The combat music is exactly the same, ditto major themes like that in Castle Baron.

Far as changes go, they've tossed in some very nice CG cut scenes for major events (Rosa is hot!) and the advent of voice in certain scenes means that no more name changes. Ergo, Namingway shows up and changes both his own name and function. Now you get points for filling out the automap of an area completely. And, yes, there's an automap, THANK GOD.

Best version of FF4 yet? Maybe, not far enough to tell, so I can't say if they've kept the 'Spoony Bard!' line or no, but I'm really, really glad to be playing it again for sure.

I really like FFIV, but I don't think I'll be buying this one yet again. First off, I have the GBA port from a couple years back, as well as the ports of V and VI, and I haven't finished any of them yet. I also have an untouched copy of FF3 for the DS. Given this pattern, I can't see shelling out money yet again for another version of the game.

I'm pretty tempted though-maybe I'll give it a rent to try it out again. I do remember the ps1 and gba ports being a LOT harder than the SNES version (which was the "easytype" version I think). FFIV managed to make each of its characters meaningful at one point or another, which seemed to disappear from later games. There were always at least a couple characters who were more or less useless, and that never got used. FFIV forced you to change tactics with each party shift though, which kept things interesting.

Always a fan of FF4. FF6 is a great game, and probably better, but it gets kinda whack with the the everyone-can-learn-every-magic by the end of the game.

FFIV always had some more challenge.

I sold my complete FFIV for GBA to pick up this new version, but $40 is too steep for me. I'll be waiting for a better deal on it. After all, I've got Dragon Quest remakes to buy in the fall as well.

Please tell me if the difficulty is good. The FF1 remakes really made the game super easy. Square is notorious for tinkering with these too much.

The difficulty is good and brutal. As Chris pointed out, it's based on the Japanese FF4, not the EZ Mode Western version that was first released as FF2 on the SNES way back when. And other than the graphics upgrade there hasn't been much done to tame the beast.

I have wiped on several of the main bosses (to yoink a term from WoW) and have been forced to look up strategies for the really hard ones because, damn, it is tough. The water fiend and the dark elf were insanely cruel.

It's practically a requirement in FF4. Actually, scratch that, it is a requirement. It's not as onerous as in some other games but you will have to do a few here and there.

It becomes easier as the game goes on since the latter parts of the game have monsters that give hot steamy loads of xp if you can manage to down them.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember being stomped by the Dark Elf (in the no-metal-cave?) the last time I played through FFIV some years ago.

So that's where I'm stuck now, and I'm confused....I got so fed up with this part that I gamefaq'd it...something I am generally very reluctant to do, but I don't want to stall out on this game since I'm loving it so far.

The gamefaq said that when you first encounter the dark elf you talk to him and your party will wipe, which is followed by a cut scene, then you can battle him with your metal gear on. This never happened for me. Instead I talk to him and Tellah and Yang say something like, "we'll handle this" and a battle begins. I fight this battle (no metal gear is allowed) and when I eventually wipe from his quake or from him systematically bitch -slapping all my guys one by one with his 9999 melee attack the game goes back to the opening load or new game screen? What gives?

Well, the only reason I can think that that might be happening is that you didn't get the Whisperweed from the castle before starting out. If you have no idea what I mean, that's it! If you do but aren't sure, it's in the 'key items' listing.

Put this one behind me last week, very solid retelling and I had a lot of fun with it despite the hellacious difficulty level. My characters were all level 75+ at the end and it made the boss fight a breeze :tu. Also, the augments are a GREAT way to boost your chances against the nasty monster smackdown in the game.