LCVG

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 (360)

Covak

I figure this game needs its own thread :) 6 different modes requiring different strategies. New baddies. Sweet visual improvements. More crappy music to turn off. Offline multiplayer.

Even in Evolved mode (most similar to good old Retro Evolved) the same old strategies don't work too well thanks to the new baddies :)

I'm super-excited. Only 2 more days :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I can't exactly explain why but this is an instant purchase for me. If I get bored with whatever game I'm currently playing I know GW is sitting there for a decent 10 or 15 minutes of pickup and go fun. I think GW2 will be even better as one of my complaints with GW is it takes time to get exciting. Once you hit a few hundred thousand or million things get far more interesting. Slumming it with a few wandering baddies at the beginning again is a bummer.

I never quite figured out GW. I'd always get to 100k with ease and then all the sudden the f'n game would flip a switch and kick my ass. It anoyed me to the point of hardly ever playing the game again. I much prefer the more recent Stardust HD which is similar but much more forgivable. I'm sure there are patterns and techniques to GW that I completely missed but I was just too anoyed to figure it out. Shame though because I thought the game was pretty fun when I wasn't getting my ass kicked. :)

I wonder if you'll like the new Deadline mode. You get 3 minutes and unlimited lives, and it scales up or down based on how well you're doing. The other 5 modes, though, are ass-kickers :) I hope the demo gives a little taste of each mode. They're all so different from each other, and they're all so fun :D

I couldn't sleep so I downloaded this bad boy as soon as they put it up. I unlocked all the modes, you start with just Deadline but unlocking the others is not difficult and didn't take long. I love the new modes, especially 'King' and 'Pacifism'. I'm going to be hooked on this for awhile.

I just don't like that there really is no structure to the game. Shooters such as Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter, Assault Heroes, etc. I get into more. There is a sense of accomplishment and advancement. You don't have to start from the beginning every time. Maybe the other modes are good, but I am not spending $10 to find out.

-Dean-

This game is pure awesome! I like ALL the game modes. I can tell there's going to be some serious challenges ahead. "King" is a terrific concept -- short lived safe zones and the need to blaze a path for yourself from one zone to the next, and collect geoms along the way.

Carlos.

I like how they show your friends list top scores so you know what to shoot for.

And it updates while you're playing! I thought that was really sweet. I thought I was topping my friend board and then in the middle of my game the top right switches to showing a newer, much higher score by someone else :)

Damn "Smile" achievement is driving me insane!

Just got done playing this for about 2 hours; awesome fun to be had here. I like all the different modes and the achievements that are more "accessible" to average gamers. Well worth the price of admission :)

For the "smile" achievement do you have to fail those squares or pass them?

Know what fucking sucks? Getting a friend request from Covak. Talk about a downer. :) I suppose I should look at it as something to shoot for.

:lol Tell me about it. When I jumped on I saw his score on evolved 24 mil+ at the time. My first thought, I have some work to do.

NM, just read the best way to get this achievement is to run out of time on levels 2 and 4 then die on 11, 15, 17, 18 and 19.

I once did it up to the last level, with a bomb left, and then screwed up :( And I've cleared the last level before. It's not hard with a bomb :bh

What a fantastic reimagining of the game! I was playing GW the night before the release of GW2 and, while excited for ill-explained reasons, I didn't figure they'd be able to improve on the gameplay formula too much. I'm happily wrong. Between the new gametypes, baddies and geoms the gameplay has enough of the familiar to be comforting but enough new to be exciting.

The geoms encourage a different method of play, at least early on. The old racetrack pattern is still mostly effective -- though you have to have your eyes open for the lines of straight flyers flanking you -- but the focus on grabbing geoms to increase the multiplier is awesome.

The new gametypes are interesting but I still find myself being drawn to Evolved (and I finally almost caught Covak with a 25+ million... but my 360 wasn't online. Anyone know if local scores get kept and flung up? Not much matter, really, given that it'll be old news as of tonight I'm sure :)). King is interesting, adding a wildly different gameplay feel as does Pacifism but I suck at all the new gametypes, especially Waves. Sweet jesus.

I have no way currently to try the multi, but it could be interesting. I wish it was online but technically I know it's simply impossible at this point. Too many stateful entities at any one time to be realistically synchronized. Maybe Geo Wars 15 on the corneal hologram display connected at light speed to the instant datafeed ;).

Received the Surf acheivement this morning. Have five left to do. The Treaty acheivement I have missed by 1 circle about ten times already and came close to Wax Off several times. They are still absorbing my time as I am determined to get them. Once I'm finished I'll be going for high scores.