LCVG

iMovie/Final Cut Express

GrumpyElf

I've been messing around with iMovie 08/06 and FCE. FCE is so complex... took me a while to figure out where to even begin. I made some movies of my friends... so, this stuff is pretty useless for most, but it's still worth seeing if you guys are considering using these editors. The video was shot with a Canon HF100 HD Camcorder. I recorded in 1440x1080 since FCE and iMovie only read up to that level, they would have to re-encode 1920x1080, so I don't bother. They were then edited, compressed them down to some form of 720p for upload. The quality is very good on the web, but can't compare to seeing on a actual HDTV.

I'm not in any of them, as I'm behind the camera. It's mostly my dog, friends, daughter and wife.

PS - All that stuff you hear about editing AVCHD, is nonsense... I've had no issues whatsoever!

Tom

http://gallery.mac.com/tfudold

Thanks Phil... the Canon is just awesome. Some of that is just 60i, and some is 30p... there are so many options on here, it's hard to know what to do. We're going on vacation tomorrow, just up to Northern Michigan, it's beautiful up there, I'm planning on getting a lot of nice footage.

For sure, I'd love to see some other peoples movies. Vimeo will also host HD content, and works really well.

I was up toward the U.P. this weekend in Michigan, went to Mackinaw Island... I'll have some videos of the island, boats, 6th longest bridge in the world, and some other stuff later... but here's a waterpark we went too....

http://gallery.mac.com/tfudold

I use iMovie for quick edits and home movie-type stuff but, I use FCP HD for anything important. And as you said, I found it very hard initially but follow the tutorials and (for me) do one task at a time: such as, put your clips in the order you want, then move onto transitions, then start working on soundtrack, then your intros/outros, etc. In my case, I simply got lost too easily when trying to do a small set of clips with the transitions and everything I wanted at the same time and then moved on to the next sequence. As opposed to focusing on your "timeline" first then working on the additions. You can always tweak it after you`ve got your initial movie.

Hope thast helps you :) It helped me

I'll do that Mag.... I actually bought a book as well on that, so I'm going to dig in. Lately, I've been putting the movie together in iMovie, cause is just SO easy with the pull bars to grab and slap a movie together in minutes. Then I export that as a FCE file, and import that. So, the movie is ready, all I have to do is add the transitions and other effects from FCE. Soon, I'll just do it all in FCE :)